Sweet 16 and Beyond

DeepSnap

Varsity Lurker
First game all tournament where refs didn't swallow their whistles when Gonzaga fouled their opponents. And Baylor played "lights out" on both ends of the floor.

rain

Jolly Good Fellow
First game all tournament where refs didn't swallow their whistles when Gonzaga fouled their opponents. And Baylor played "lights out" on both ends of the floor.

tha'ts the way I feel

OptionsJacket

BpBuSp
Maybe UCLA gets the assist for Gonzaga's loss. I imagine it would be easy to come out a little flat after playing an absolute deathmatch.
That and the film available on what works against them and not.
Baylor's defense was incredible, their gameplan was impeccable. Extreme ball pressure forcing Zags to make inaccurate passes to their open shooters. Great close outs without jumping. Full front on Timme. Crushing them on fast break and going all out on offensive boards. Trusting a 6'5 Vital to play big. Knowing that Zags couldn't handle Butler, Mitchell, and Teague in man- they were basically getting open shots all night even with a man on them.

Absolutely incredible game to watch for the basketball quality and high IQ playing. If you didn't like it, you might as well be basketball blind.

The Jacket

The Coat
Maybe UCLA gets the assist for Gonzaga's loss. I imagine it would be easy to come out a little flat after playing an absolute deathmatch.
It makes you wonder, if UCLA had gotten past Gonzaga, would they have given Baylor a better game than Zags? Baylor was waiting for and clearly prepared for Goliath. If David had showed instead, how would they have responded? It wouldn't have just been down to Baylor either, UCLA demonstrated a pretty clear ability to play up to the level of their opponent during their run.

Either way, I absolutely agree about the Broons-Zags game. I think the latter emptied the tank staving off a team that was as hot as they come. Baylor and Gonzaga were evenly matched at the worst, certainly not as disparate as the score in the final, but one of them was fresh off one of the greatest games in the history of the sport while the other cruised past a vastly inferior Houston.

OptionsJacket

BpBuSp
It makes you wonder, if UCLA had gotten past Gonzaga, would they have given Baylor a better game than Zags? Baylor was waiting for and clearly prepared for Goliath. If David had showed instead, how would they have responded? It wouldn't have just been down to Baylor either, UCLA demonstrated a pretty clear ability to play up to the level of their opponent during their run.

Either way, I absolutely agree about the Broons-Zags game. I think the latter emptied the tank staving off a team that was as hot as they come. Baylor and Gonzaga were evenly matched at the worst, certainly not as disparate as the score in the final, but one of them was fresh off one of the greatest games in the history of the sport while the other cruised past a vastly inferior Houston.
FWIW, Houston had one of the best defenses in the country and maybe the best on-ball defender in the entire country in Jarreau.

The Jacket

The Coat
FWIW, Houston had one of the best defenses in the country and maybe the best on-ball defender in the entire country in Jarreau.
True, and fair enough. I don't mean to belittle Houston at all, they (and almost everyone else) just didn't look to be in the same class as Baylor on pure talent. As fun as it is to speculate about UCLA, even if Gonzaga had manhandled them and were less drained for the final, I still think Baylor wins that game regardless of how close it is. Once they flip the switch it's like they couldn't miss if they tried.

GTCrew4b

Get That Corn Outta Ma Face
Baylor did not like the zone and we would’ve gotten them after a layoff (if we advanced that far) would’ve been crazy but crazier things have happened.

77GTFan

Dodd-Like
What? It was an awesome game to watch. Baylor is legit. The kid from Hinesville is incredible. Their defense was amazing. Their hustle is indelible in the hippocampus.
I thought it was a terrible game because it was not competitive. Only a Baylor fan could have loved it. The lead was huge after a few minutes and Gonzaga never got it back to a three possession game. Baylor deserves credit as a dominant champion in the tournament. But, Gonzaga’s inability to compete with them made it less enjoyable to watch.

OptionsJacket

BpBuSp
True, and fair enough. I don't mean to belittle Houston at all, they (and almost everyone else) just didn't look to be in the same class as Baylor on pure talent. As fun as it is to speculate about UCLA, even if Gonzaga had manhandled them and were less drained for the final, I still think Baylor wins that game regardless of how close it is. Once they flip the switch it's like they couldn't miss if they tried.
That's fair too.
Baylor was like this all season. As soon as I saw them throttle Houston knowing how good Houston's defense was, I knew Zags wouldn't be able to handle.

Our shot selection and mindless turnovers would be absolutely killer against Baylor and Gonzaga.

rain

Jolly Good Fellow
That's fair too.
Baylor was like this all season. As soon as I saw them throttle Houston knowing how good Houston's defense was, I knew Zags wouldn't be able to handle.

Our shot selection and mindless turnovers would be absolutely killer against Baylor and Gonzaga.
Yes, this. They made Houston look bad in first half. Hardly anyone did that this year.
I think Baylor just that good. I figured they could beat Gonzaga after that.
but the thing is- you just never know in Final Four

77GTFan

Dodd-Like
They defended great. They play an in your shirt man-to-man that gets an offense out of the comfort zone. Then, on the other end they are good shooters and can spread the ball around so you can’t concentrate on taking away one or two options. Baylor was no Cinderella. Look at their record over the past two seasons. They mined the transfer portal well and Drew molded them into a cohesive unit.

cyptomcat

PostBot
Staff member
They defended great. They play an in your shirt man-to-man that gets an offense out of the comfort zone. Then, on the other end they are good shooters and can spread the ball around so you can’t concentrate on taking away one or two options. Baylor was no Cinderella. Look at their record over the past two seasons. They mined the transfer portal well and Drew molded them into a cohesive unit.
Definitely not a Cinderella. They finished this regular season #2, and last season #5.