Take off the gold glasses a minute...

JacketFanPCB

Damn Good Rat
and think about this question:

Is next season going to be a rebuilding year??

Think about it. We've got a practically BRAND new coaching staff. It LOOKS as though BOB may be leaving and that may have been the plan all along: y'know keep BOB to get through recruiting then either coathe offense yourself or get a new OC. SO, if that's the case, then we'll have a BRAND NEW OFFENSE next year for all our returnees. UGA and FSU are kicking butt on the recruiting trail. Will we be able to compete or beat EITHER of these big rivals. I'm not so sure we're gonna have to take what we can get next year and build from there.

Seriously, what do you guys/gals think???

I think things could go either way... athletically, I think we have the athletes to compete with anyone on the schedule, I am not as concerned about the coaching changes, I am concerned that we are going on two months and still talking about a coaching staff... I realize that everything was delayed with CG and the Dolphns, but, we are closing in on two months, and we are still unsure about coaches... (which is why I would tell BOB good luck, sorry you werent interested, and go get an OC that wants to be at Tech)... I think we have alot to look forward to next year... but also wonder how well it all will gel... we will see...

UGA and FSU recruiting well now won't be important till about 2 years from now...Fred Gibson and Dorsey are the exceptions...everyone on offense already knows all the plays...if we promote someone from within who knows the offense, we might be ok. It may need to be simplified a bit, but if our OL gels, we'll be fine. Our receivers will manage to get open and QB will get the ball to them, ONLY if the OL gives him some time. Our biggest problem is still the defense. We led at halftime in the 3 of the games we lost. Gailey has to get their butts in gear.

I think ahso is right. Besides, I don't want to take off these gold glasses until necessary, which might not be til FSU rides in.

GLAD to hear everyone's glowing optimism about next season! I'm just cautiously optimistic about 2002. After all, we MAY be under an ENTIRELY NEW offensive system with BRAND NEW QB'S learning it. I DO think the defense and special teams will improve, but not to the level that we'll be able to beat UGA and FSU.

As far as the recruiting goes, the point I was trying to make is that UGA and FSU have had TWO EXCELLENT recruiting years in a row and they will BOTH see dividends come 2002. I'm just not sure how we'll do. Some of the folks we got last year like Reuben Houston, Levon Lee, etc should make a difference, but I'm just not sure.

At BEST I see us going 8-4. I sure hope I'm wrong. I would be happy with this IF we could beat UGA. Then we'll build from that to get ready for FSU, UGA, AND Auburn in 2003 and beyond!!!
wink.gif

The Tech/UGA has nothing to do with recruiting...its whichever team has more hate for the other. This past November, O'leary couldn't get the team up from doldrums and we got beat. I think the team had some life even after the Maryland lose, but the UVA defeat killed us. If we had any other coach at the helm, we would have crushed UGA at BDS. If Gailey can do anything to motivate the team, we'll be fine.

The FSU game on the other hand...

We cannot forget that Goose was a first year QB once and we did ok that year. I believe that Suggs is in a better position than Goose was at the time.
If the line gets it together and we have a running game and the defense plays well we will be fine and have good chance to be better than fine.

At the very least I am excited about the possibility of change for the better.

In regards to UGA recruiting. Their class is looking pretty good this year, but last year's class was not very good. As good as this year's class is, they will have major holes to fill next year on defense and in 2003 on the offensive line. They are going to be a fine team, but I'm not scared of them or their recruiting. This class is actually simmilar to the classes they brought in throughout the '90s, Good but always they always seem to have just a little something missing.

Remember their '98 class, it was a top 5 class and those players were going to take UGA to a MNC. Those '98 recruits that didn't redshirt just left UGA with a 1-3 record vs. GT

As far as FSU goes, they always have a premier group and that won't change. We always have to out work and out coach them to be competitive. Hopefully, it will happen this year.

I don't know what will happen next year, but the bottom-line is the '02 GT team will have the most overall depth and talent of any GT team in over 40 years. I don't believe that is a just fan's statement. I believe that to be fact. It doesn't mean we will be good, but if things roll our way, we are going to be pretty tough. Coaching changes usually benefit a team more than they hurt. Not everytime, but most of the time they are positive.

I agree with Axe and Ahso that we have a really deep and talented team returning next year. We are capable of having a great season.
I won't rehash all the stuff mentioned above.

One point I'd like to raise though:
We have a TOUGH road schedule. We play at Clem, UGa, MD, UNC and NC State. It's gonna be tough to win all those games on the road. Then, we have FSU and UVA at home plus Vandy and BYU. I just hope our guys can stay focused through all the grueling road games.

That's one thing that was so frustrating about last year. We had Clem, MD and UGA at home and last anyway.

I think the key this year is re-establishing our home field advantage while keeping focused on the road. We'll likely lose a few games, but 9-3 or 10-2 is very much within our grasp.
drinking.gif

Can't take off these here gold glasses. We're extremely near-sighted and would be blind as a bat. This Jagermeister sure is good.
drinking.gif

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by law_bee:
I believe that Suggs is in a better position than Goose was at the time.
<hr></blockquote>

Objection. Assuming facts not entered into evidence. Who is to say Suggs will be the QB next year?

Not what I said. I believe that if Suggs would have been here during the CF game that he would have been our starting QB. Arguably we have more talented QB's now, so the competition will be tighter. If someone beats him out good for him and GOOD FOR GT.

But I will tell you why Suggs will be the next QB (assuming he has a good spring), is because the coaches specifically Billy is very high on him. Just like when the coaches were high on Goose he got the job this will carry the day.

Back