TBS college football

Buzzfalcon

Zod-Like
I heard that TBS will be showing only Big 12 and Pac-10 games this year. Any thoughts as to why they chose these conferences?

Because they have mostly large state schools with lots of eyeballs in front of the tube on Saturday?

I don't think it's exactly a matter of choice - those are probably the only BCS leagues whose 3rd-tier games they could afford.

Afford? Never underestimate Ted Turner's wealth.
wink.gif

Actually, the SEC has an exclusive contract with CBS and JP/Raycom that wouldn't allow them to take their 3rd or 4th games national. Quite frankly the "leftover" ACC and Big Least games would carry almost zero interest nationally so you can throw those 2 conferences out. I am speaking of the weekly Duke vs. Whoever game that doesn't get chosen by ESPN, ESPN-2, or ABC. Depth in the ACC will only be improved via expansion. Wake could make 3 bowls in a row (never happen) and still be viewed in the same breath as Dook.

Big 11 has a very strong relationship with ESPN and ABC. ESPN/ABC/Disney has been very good to Big 11 FB over the years putting not one, but TWO games on both ESPN and ESPN-2 to national broadcasts starting at noon - and then ABC sends the Big 11 regional 3:30 game to huge markets which includes most of the Northeast AND NYC. I doubt the Big 11 would want to risk their association with ABC/ESPN agreeing to give games to TBS.

There just isn't enough interest in WAC, MWC, or CUSA games nationally. That leaves the Big XII and Pac 10. The Pac 10's 3rd game which often isn't even covered on the east coast (not even on Fox Sports Net) is normally a strong game. Same for the Big XII. They have numbers and some big name programs. I think it's great. I would LOVE to see more of the western teams. They play some solid FB out there AND they have some solid programs who believe in academics - especially in the Pac 10 (ref: Cal, Stanford, Washington, etc.).

Back