TCU and expansion...

BarrelORum

Mediocre Poster
If I am the ACC, I would seriously consider taking TCU. They have history, they have Texas, they have recent success. They would compliment the conference.

Listening to Colin Cowherd this morning and he said it looks like Texas, TT, Oklahoma, and Okie St are definitely headed to the Pac16.

When it comes to expansion, people want football schools. Football not basketball makes the money. TCU would add Texas as a market for the ACC and make it that much more powerful.

Before the SEC realizes they have limited options in expansion and TCU may be a great pick up for them, the ACC needs to steal them away to secure Texas.

This move would be brilliant in my opinion.

TechinItEasy

Dodd-Like
No no no no no.

TCU may be in Texas, but their handful of fans don't really add anything to the market.

They suck in all sports except football.

And they've only been decent in football for 10 years.

JacketFan77

Bokonon High Priest
I'm probably a jackass for thinking this way, but I prefer to stay as geographically true to the "Atlantic" part of our conference as possible. I don't think TCU is a good fit for the conference.

cajunjacket

Dodd-Like
It may be better than Rutgers, but that's about it.

ND & Penn State would be optimal. ND & UConn would be good too.

manellis

Flats Noob
Not interested in going out of our geography unless it's for ND or Texas. I hope it works out for TCU though, they deserve it

BarrelORum

Mediocre Poster
The problem with staying in our Atlantic Coast region is you only have 2 real candidates in UConn and Rutgers. South Florida is the new flavor in football but they offer nothing and neither does UCF. We're not going to add a regional school in a state where we already have two heavy hitters.

TCU. TCU. TCU. Get it through your thick heads.

gtphd

What a time to be alive
The way I see it:

Plan A: ND + PSU
Plan B: UT + TCU
Plan C: Wait until everyone else expands and grab the leftovers (probably UConn + Rutgers)

TechinItEasy

Dodd-Like

ciegetanks

Damn Good Rat
I always thought that 12 teams was the optimal size for a conference. I think 14 is manageable, but then you begin to stretch the conference thin and it's hard to keep everyone in the conference comfortable with each other.
As for now, I say that since there aren't many available teams (meaning needing a conference, good academics, solid sports, in the east) I say we leave it be. I'd love to see PSU in the ACC (I'm from PA), but they'll never give up the Ohio State and Nebraska money.
I think this expansion was a good idea and we should leave well enough alone.

Hobojacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The way I see it:

Plan A: ND + PSU
Plan B: UT + TCU
Plan C: Wait until everyone else expands and grab the leftovers (probably UConn + Rutgers)
I think you have this partially right...

I would say Plan A is indisputably UT and ND.

If UT turns us down we threaten ND with destruction of their current conference (by taking football and the large, revenue producing bball programs). If they turn receptive we take them and UCONN. If they don't...we are left with leftover UCONN and Rutgers. I just don't see any possible way we can get PSU.

TechinItEasy

Dodd-Like
No, basically it makes you look like a complete idiot for posting that.
Your shtick is old, FWIW.

The fact that they have a detailed Wiki article can't hide the fact that outside of Gary Patterson they have been a mediocre team in a miserable conference for a long, long time.

ThisIsAtlanta

Break In Case Of Emergency
Staff member
If the academics don't fit, TCU won't make it into the ACC no matter what we want. It's the presidents voting and they're not just looking at athletics and TV dollars.

wesleyd21

Dodd-Like
TCU and Notre Dame = my dream scenario #2

Dream Scenario #1 = Penn State and Notre Dame

Dream Scenario #3 = Notre Dame and UCONN

Dream Scenario #4 = Notre Dame and BYU

Dream Scenario #5 = TCU and BYU

ciegetanks

Damn Good Rat
I've always said that the ACC stands for "Academic College Conference". I'm glad that the conference isn't sacrificing it's standards as overall academic institutions during this expansion.

W

wombat

I actually had no idea of TCU's football history. How are their academics? That's gonna matter.

floridajacket

The Real DB Cooper
The ACC Presidents were apparently skeptical of UT due solely to location. As irrational as it is, they put some stock into the ACC being an East Coast conference.

Also in every year they've played in the MWC, they have finished in the bottom 3 in conference standings, many years finishing dead last. They would be a complete doormat against an ACC basketball schedule.

Allen Koholic

Likes dick drawings.
Texas is going to the PAC-whatever unless they fall apart on the Long Horn Network deal. The ACC is Texas' second choice, and only because the ACC would let them keep their TV network.