Team Discipline (or lack of)

Gold Rush

Flats Noob
The more I think about it, I see this as one of the biggest problems.

Evidence (just to name a few that come to mind):

1. Stomping on the "G" Saturday....(can you imagine a GOL team doing this?)
2. Dumb penalities, over and over. Jumping offsides, bad snaps, mental mistakes etc
3. Periods of lack of motivation
4. "Fun" practices rather than "hard" or grueling" practices
5. Players playing "soft".
6. Giving up in games (well, two games, but thats two too many IMO)

Also, an apparent lack of appropriate conditioning. Whatever we are doing seems to not be working. If we have indeed changed methods in training, I'd have to say its not working...I think this accounts for SOME (not all) of our injury situation. I also believe this ties in to discipline to some degree.

Based on the QB situation, I see a degree of stubborness, or inability to change as the season progresses, not to mention a lack of gametime changes. Because of this, I have to ask - do we have a HC who is WILLING to change and be flexible ?

Because, good Tech fans, this is the MILLION DOLLAR question, isn't it ??

To add to this, and considering what Nate had to say - I think all teams, to some degree reflect the personality of the coaches...

With GOL, we had a certian mental and physical toughness....Rarely, if ever did any team intimidate Tech or physically take Tech to the woodshed...we saw this twice in the last season, and somehow I believe it ties in to a lack of dicipline.

Considering the above...I don't think you can use the "pro" approach with college atheletes. Kind of like a parent - do children/teenagers REALLY respect the parent who only wants to be friends with the kid (example only) ? I see this over and over and it only seems to work with an incredibly mature young man or woman, but not with the majority.

I have to wonder how much of the problems revolve around this aspect

In addition, I find this amusing...

With only a handful of freshmen playing - these are GOL's players...The SAME players who for years had the speed to keep up with FSU (suddenly we have less team speed) (?).

The same great atheletes we had over the previous couple of years, now suddenly become less atheletic and now the pressing need is to recruit better atheletes (?) - these guys sure looked plenty atheletic under GOL...Did they suddenly lose their atheleticism ?

Gold Rush, even though my thoughts run along the possibility of internal problems with the team, there is some logic in your thoughts.

wink.gif

I actually think that both are occuring ie, I believe that an overall lack of discipline often leads to team dissention over a period of time, for a variety of reasons.
The only teams I have seen give up in games like what we saw this year, have later been shown to have some sort of dissention.....Only time will tell.

Back