Tech a Cinderella?

A few good bounces here and there could give us a great season.

wink.gif

I like being in this position. For some reason, we play our best when no one expects anything of us (like '98 and '00). If we were ranked high, like last year, I'd be worried.

I hope the guys just play loose and play hard.

I'm with you Bugboy... although I want us to finish with a perfect season...I can take losses as long as we play tough, aggressive, and fundementally sound football.... I want to see us hit some people...

Well the reason no one expects us to win is that we lost the best coach in D-1, then failed to hire the second best coach, and instead hired a looser with no experience who was able to recruit no one and.....WHOOPS! Thought I was posting as my Beeware font. Nevermind.
pat.gif

Originally posted by GEETEELEE:
Well the reason no one expects us to win is that we lost the best coach in D-1, then failed to hire the second best coach, and instead hired a looser with no experience who was able to recruit no one and.....WHOOPS! Thought I was posting as my Beeware font. Nevermind.
pat.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Good try, but let me see if I can do a little better.
We did lose an excellent coach in Coach O'leary. We did fail to promote an excellent coach in Coach McWhorter and the opportunity to keep an outstanding staff in place. We did roll the dice and hire a journeyman pro coach. Luckily, Coach O'leary left a wealth of talent here. Expectations would not be low if we didn't have a new coach. This was the year that many of us expect(ed) to be an outstanding year.
Let's hope for the best.
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

"You can't snow the Snowman."

Better to hire a "journeyman" pro coach, with pro and college HEAD coaching experience, than a journeyman college OL coach.

People seem to forget (atleast, the Beeware's of the world) that our new journeyman HC won a National Championship when he coached in the college game. I don't care if it's NAIA, Division Scumbag...a National Championship is impressive.

I thought their write-up was very accurate --

With Georgia garnering all of the attention in the Peach State, Tech should quietly be the ACC’s best squad outside of Tallahassee.... The Jackets are not getting nearly enough respect this summer and oh yeah, they get the Seminoles at home.

This is true -- it's exactly what most of us have been thinking for the last couple of months. But looking at the rest of this list, I wonder if being here is not a backhanded compliment -- especially considering what CFN has had to say about us otherwise (though that was probably different writers).

GT has had the most recent success of any of their "Cinderellas." We've finished in the top 25 the last five years running, and had one top 10 finish, which is better than any of these teams.

Most of these teams were horrible last year -- WVU, Mississippi State, Northern Illinois, UL-L and SMU? No thanks, that's company I'd rather not be in.

I don't think we're quite THAT much of a dark horse. ;-)

Back