Tech Coaching Staff " Jon Tenuta"

ahsoisee

Dodd-Like
Jon Tenuta

Jon Tenuta begins his first season as the Georgia Tech defensive coordinator, after guiding North Carolina to be the top-rated defense in the ACC for the previous 2001 season.

Under Tenuta, the Tar Heels led the ACC in total defense and pass defense, while ranking third in run defense and scoring defense.

Tenuta has 22 years of experience as a defensive coach. He has served as a defensive coordinator at five schools, Marshall (1987), Kansas State (1988), SMU (1990-94), Ohio State (2000), and North Carolina (2001).

Tenuta has assisted in the development of several defensive backs into NFL players, including first-round draft picks Shawn Springs, Antoine Winfield, and Ahmed Plummer. Springs, was the 1996 Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year and a first-team all-America, while Winfield won the 1998 Jim Thorpe Award.

Ohio State’s pass defense was consistently ranked among the nations best during Tenuta’s tenure. The Buckeyes were ranked in the top three in pass defense efficiency in three of his six seasons.

Tenuta, 44, began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at Virginia (1981-82), and was an assistant coach at Maryland (1983), Vanderbilt (1984-85), Marshall (1986-87), KansasState (1988), SMU (1989-94), and Oklahoma (1995).

Tenuta was the defensive backs coach at SMU in 1989 before being promoted to defensive coordinator in 1990. He was the defensive backs coach at Ohio State from 1996-1999, before elevation to the defensive coordinator post in 2000.

A native of Columbus, Ohio, Tenuta graduated from Virginia in 1982. He lettered three years as a defensive back for the Cavaliers and earned the team’s John Acree Memorial Football Trophy for leadership, service and spirit during his senior season.

Tenuta and his wife, Dori, have three sons, Zach, Matt and Luke.

My thoughts and assessment:

Very impressive! Appears to be exactly the DC we need at Tech. I would not be surprised to see Tech jell into one of the best defensive teams in the nation by mid-season.

With Spencer and Tenuta as two of the more impressive coaches on the defensive side of the ball, it looks good to me at this point.

I am still awaiting for someone to post the bio on Joe D'Alessandris, the offensive line coach. His bio and discussion will complete the bios and discussions of the Tech Coaching Staff.

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Tenuta is the guy that is the key to the new staff, outside of CG himself. If he performs up to snuff, our D will be awesome and we can finally be the complete team we've always wanted to be.

Tenuta is almost certainly at TECH for one year only. The absolute class of this staff is Bill O'brien, and he also is probably here for one year only.
And don't forget, last year, who won the head to head between Roof and Tenuta? Thought so!!!
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

So what if he's here only one year? That can happen with any coach anywhere anytime. Coaching is a mobile profession and if someone is good enough, he can market himself to other places for money and fame.

The days of 25 years at one job are over.

Your last point about Roof vs. Tenuta was a good one on the head to head...but what about other opponents, like Clemson...and UVA...and FSU?

Yea, I know. Puke on Buck, DB and everyone that has anything to do with the hiring of the current staff.
rolleyes.gif

Continuity is very important in coaching. That is why Coach O'leary was willing to stick with young (and very bright) co-ordinators because it would reap huge benefits in the long term. Of course Braine threw all that out of the window in order to hire a yes-man and a relatively mediocre coaching staff ( with a few exceptions). Of course you Braine-kissers will keep blowing smoke up our arses and tell us it is a fall breeze....unfortunately, we know better.
bash.gif
bash.gif
bash.gif
bash.gif

"All a friend can say is ain't it a shame."
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

In 'Buck' We Trust

Originally posted by beeware:
Continuity is very important in coaching. That is why Coach O'leary was willing to stick with young (and very bright) co-ordinators because it would reap huge benefits in the long term. Of course Braine threw all that out of the window in order to hire a yes-man and a relatively mediocre coaching staff ( with a few exceptions). Of course you Braine-kissers will keep blowing smoke up our arses and tell us it is a fall breeze....unfortunately, we know better.
bash.gif
bash.gif
bash.gif
bash.gif

"All a friend can say is ain't it a shame."
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

In 'Buck' We Trust
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Yep. GOL is a great example of continuity...he who picked up and left the second ND came calling and was gonna take most of his staff with him. Continuity has become the exception in Division 1-A. Get used to it.

Yea, I know. Puke on DB. Puke on Buck. Geez. Your act is so old.

beeware would you like some cheese with all that wine you been drinking. chan is a greet hire and i'm with him 100%.he's a great coach and i don't care what you say about him.stop crying about o'liar and his old staff .ralp made the team what it was when he was here(no run run run run)
rocketlauncher.gif

Tenuta is almost certainly at TECH for one year only. The absolute class of this staff is Bill O'brien, and he also is probably here for one year only.
And don't forget, last year, who won the head to head between Roof and Tenuta? Thought so!!!
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">When are you going to directly answer the question I posed to you in a thread I started a couple of weeks ago??

GO JACKETS!!
byteback
bash.gif

shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">this is too funny ..

hey beeware .. who won head to head between Roof and Tenuta this year? Thought so!!!

I understand Tenuta is not a good recruiter ( from what has been posted in the past).

For those of you close to recruiting, is this an issue? If so, how big?

71Bee .. you are probably referring to UNC fans who keep complaining that Tenuta did not do a good recruiting job there.

UNC fans have a serious case of sour grapes when it comes to Tenuta.

71Bee, the Carolina fans put that label on him after it was learned he was leaving. I really haven't heard one way or the other as to his recruiting ability from an unbiased source although I have read many articles about him. I for one will disregard that charge until I learn
otherwise from a reliable source.

Tenuta is not a good coach. Tenuta is a great coach with a definite plan for his "D". He is proven.

Let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Just give him a few years to recruit "his" players who are intelligent and athletic enough to execute his scheme, and his ideas will manifest themselves on the field.

P.S. I really do NOT understand this desire by many GT fans and fans of a _lot_ of Div 1-A schools in the South to clean house if the new coaches' plans do not immediately catapult a mediocre team into the Fiesta Bowl the very 1st year.

P.P.S. Don't misunderstand my post, I love the Jackets and back them to the hilt (just ask my bank!). I just do not want us to succumb to the type of fans that the Alabamas/UGa's, etc. have become.

Originally posted by 75Jacket:
Tenuta is not a good coach. Tenuta is a great coach with a definite plan for his "D". He is proven.

Let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Just give him a few years to recruit "his" players who are intelligent and athletic enough to execute his scheme, and his ideas will manifest themselves on the field.

P.S. I really do NOT understand this desire by many GT fans and fans of a _lot_ of Div 1-A schools in the South to clean house if the new coaches' plans do not immediately catapult a mediocre team into the Fiesta Bowl the very 1st year.

P.P.S. Don't misunderstand my post, I love the Jackets and back them to the hilt (just ask my bank!). I just do not want us to succumb to the type of fans that the Alabamas/UGa's, etc. have become.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">75Jacket, Well Said! Agree with everything you stated.

GO Jackets!

Back