Tech helmets from '71 & '85 for sale

jescho

Varsity Lurker
Tech helmets from \'71 & \'85 for sale

Thanks to Goldtimer's website I have seen pictures from the '71 season when Tech had white helmets (I like 'em), but I have never seen nor remember Tech having gold helmets with solid black lettering from '85 (reminds me of Colorado)

This website has unique and special helmets for sale.
[LINK]1971 white helmet

Does anyone know the story behind these special '85 helmets?
[LINK] 1985 special helmet

Re: Tech helmets from \'71 & \'85 for sale

85' were the Black Watch Defense Helmets.

I confess that I come from a family of bulldogs who raised me to cheer against Tech. I was properly converted (by my own accord)my senior year in high school, '89. So reluctantly, I admit to not having a great depth of knowledge of Tech football before '89.

Thanks for the info.

Did the whole defense wear these Black Watch helmets, or just standout players?

The description that goes with the '71 helmet has Tech playing in the ACC at that time.

Didn't they leave the SEC after '63 and not join the ACC until '79?

Originally posted by spellingbee:
The description that goes with the '71 helmet has Tech playing in the ACC at that time.

Didn't they leave the SEC after '63 and not join the ACC until '79?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Correct...

Originally posted by jescho:
Did the whole defense wear these Black Watch helmets, or just standout players?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Only the standout players were invited to wear the Black Watch Helmets.

Also, interesting to note that in '84 Curry disdained GT stickers at all until UGAg game when players begged him to have them on the helmets. "Quote was something like 'we want em to remember where we came from'"

AIR, Jescho, the Black Watch helmets were awarded on an individual basis. Ted Roof was a key member of that group.

We've discussed whether this motivator should be brought back. Some think the motivation given those who get it is offset by the demotivation of those who don't.

I am suprised the NCAA allowed two different helmets to be used concurrently. Adding a "reward" sticker is one thing, a minor change. But to have some helmets with/without the center stripe seems to me would likely break some sort of NCAA regulation. Is this why they have not been used since?

I certainly agree with you RB, by several accounts:

1. the helmets simply do not have a "worn" look to them.
2. every helmet he offers comes in size 7 to 7 1/2
3. it appears that every helmet has the same caution sticker in the right rear
4. and the same front-nose decal.

I brought it to the board not so much that someone could buy these helmets, but simply thought the photographs of the helmets were of a much superior quality than any other photo I have seen that has the authentic helmet (usually a grainy, game-day picture).

The '71 helmet really caught my attention having never seen this type in person.

I agree Jescho 100%. And I wouldn't mind buying one myself just for display, but the guys description is just flat out wrong, saying that they are "not replicas".

I do like the look of the 1971 one though.

Having a lot of Georgia Tech game worn equipment direct from the GTAA locker room, I hope no one is buying these thinking they are truly game worn. He states they are not replicas, when in fact, they are. They are up to speed for "today's" game worn quality, with past years' designs/logos. The helmets were much different in 1971 than the one shown (not the logo etc, but the helmet itself). They are a great addition to a collection, but I am 99% sure not game worn authentic, as I was in the Sports Memorabilia business for 10 years.

Back