Tell me this is not true.

techfowl

Jolly Good Fellow
I heard a guy in a Columbia (USC) talk show say that David Pollack wanted to go to Tech, but that O'Leary told hime he would put him at DE.

Pollack got the go-ahead from Donnan to play fullback and went to UGA - where he was moved to DE after a very short period of time.

This was a call in guy, not a mediator, so I have to believe this is some guy just shooting off his mouth. I would think we would know if this were true.

Can anybody verify?

I think it's easier to believe we never had a shot than to wonder what Pollack could do for our DL.

As much as I should hate him, I can't help but kind of like him and David Greene both. Pollack turned down the All Playboy team opportunity because he didn't want to set the wrong example - or piss off his grandma, or some story like that.

Greene has been dating the same girl since the beginning of college. He's stronger than me to turn down all the current "opportunities" in his life.

What a couple of mommas boys! No. Decent guys. Good for them. I'll still try to hate them on November 29, anyway.

I've heard it said that he didn't necessarily "want" to go to Tech, but he was no longer interested after we said we'd move him to defense.

I do not know if this is true, but I have heard this story before. Apparently Pollack wanted to play FB, but George told him that he could try FB, but would probably end up at DE. Donnan told him he could play FB and of course he ended up getting moved to DE. The story usually ends with "That's what you get for being honest".

Personally, I think Pollack had a lot of fun during recruiting. I live in Gwinnett and had friend that is very involved in High School sports in the county and he said Pollack to UGA all the way. He committed to Richt, not Donnan. Although, he was recruited by Donnan.

I remember when UGA lost in 2000 to USC in Columbia. Pollack said he couldn't play for a team that lost to the fighting chickens. IMHO, he likes to have fun with people.

I also remember the company line was we were recruiting him as a FB. Although, that may or may not have been the case. If I'm not mistaken GG reported that we pulled our offer before he committed to UGA. He said the staff decided to go in a different direction.

Maybe I can shed a little light on this...

First of all, Donnan was fired and Richt brought in before Pollack committed to us. Second, I don't think he really heavily considered Tech. From what I recall, it was a Georgia/Clemson/Auburn race. Tech might've gotten a visit, but I don't think they were seriously considered.

Now I do recall that he was recruited as an athlete, rather than at a specific position. He started at FB and expected to redshirt because of Verron Haynes and JT Wall, but when we had some depth problems at DT, Richt asked him to move (this was all pretty early on) and he could play pretty much right away. So he did. After his freshman season, he was moved from DT to DE...and the rest, as they say, is history.

A side note, he did play a little FB last season in our power I formation. He was the "wham" back when we went for the first down on 4th and inches with the game on the line against Clemson. However as the season wore on, he became to valuable to risk on offense (see Charles Grant vs. Tech '99 as an example).

Pollack grew up a Clemson fan. How he ended up at UGA instead of Clemson, I don't know. Did he want to go to GT? I don't know. But he grew up a fan of Clemson.

If its true it makes O'Leary look even more sound in his judgement to slot him for DE.

Tech:

Our family knows the Greene and Pollack families personally. In addition to Tech tickets, we also have UGA season tickets (supporting our oldest daughter in her last year at UGA). We normally see both Davies at the RV DAWG Club almost after every home game. I can attest to the fact that both are two of the most humble athletes that you will ever meet. Greene is the really laid back one while you never know what is going to come out of Pollack's mouth. Both guys are really good role models for UGA and they are lucky to have them. For the record, it is correct that Pollack turned down the Playboy interview.

In discussions with Davie Pollack, or his brother Justin (who drives to Athens from South Carolina for the games), I never heard either mention anything about Pollack wanting to attend Tech. After the TN game last year, Pollack and his family (Norm, Kelly & Justin) ate with us at the RV. Davie saw the GT decal on the side of our RV and quietly commented, "That doesn't do much for me."

We'll see them both at the UGA/Alabama game this weekend and I'll try to remember to ask Pollack about Tech.

Buzz Bomb

Back