Tenuta vs. Richt

Axe

Flats Noob
I think Mark Richt is an outstanding head coach, but I really believe he is an average offensive coordinator. He's certainly put points on us over the years at FSU and UGA, but after watching many of his games I've come to believe his play calling can keep an underdog in a ball game. Just my opinion.

When it comes to Tenuta vs. Richt, I'll take my chances with that battle.

Yes sir Axe... I'm looking forward (with some trepidation) to the TECH 'D' against the UGAg 'O'... with the TECH 'D' forcing lots of 3 and outs and the Dawgs seeming to struggle on third down these past couple of games ... I think our 'D' can keep it close.... Every one dose up on your heart medicine... I've a feelin' it's gonna be poundin' hard late in the fourth quarter...

GO JACKETS!!!
Send the Dawgs to the Dome as losers...

I agree, Axe.
Actually, what scares me about this game is the way the breaks have gone for the two teams. They've gotten them, including Saturday's last TD, and we haven't, including the three games we could as well have won as lost. No doubt they are more confident than we are.
But I'm sure we can beat them, especially if they keep up their two QB system. Shockley REALLY seems to feel the pressure to perform, and makes mistakes. And their running game...they really should wonder, when our preseason #6 is as good as Musa, if Richt can have any confidence in it. Their running game is nothing like Wake's ; I think we'll stop it.

The question for Tech is whether we can score enough, I think. We'll hold them down.

Richt's play calling has been of jekyll and hyde mentality. I have seen him make some great calls and some very questionable ones. I've seen him pull great plays out of nowhere as well as make some easily predictable 3rd down calls. I can't explain it.

JYD,

I agree that often Richt will make a great call that fools everyone and leads to a big play. However, his games often lack a flow to them. Also, many times I've seen him rely too much on tricks and the air game when he should be taking it right at an undermanned opponent.

I guess I think sometimes he makes things a little more complicated than they need to be.

Richt is a great head coach. Also, I agree about him being an average OC. His problem stems from having it too easy at FSU. Down there, his talent would get him 40 points even if the play-calling was not imaginative. At Georgia, he can't just out-talent people the way his boyzzzz in Tally would.

OTOH, we have a weak DL from a run defense standpoint. I don't think it would take a rocket scientist to just start pounding Musa in there. That's where Tenuta has to come up with something to counteract Musa. Richt has proven in the past that he will simply pound the ball if the openings are there. Also, we'll have to find out which of UGA's receivers will be healthy. If Edwards gets back, that'll complicate things.

I think Tenuta will win a chess match with Richt, but I'm worried about the LOS.

We cannot overlook Musa Smith. He really looks good running the ball. He runs hard, fast, and keeps his motor running all the time. To me, he has been Georgia's most consistent weapon.

frown.gif

I am in strong agreement that Tenuta will neutralize the ugay offense and that we can keep this one close...

But the karma is with the fleabags.

And you have to feel good if you are one of those without an education because the odds of Greene pulling out a close game are better than the odds of Suggs doing it.

Originally posted by GTCrew:

But the karma is with the fleabags.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You're probably right, but they sure have been making a lot of withdrawals lately.
wink.gif

I am not so sure that I am in agreement that Richt is a great HC... they went 8-4 last year... with coaching losses to Aub and SC... the Tenn win last year was pure character... but I think Tenn has regressed alot since '98 ... They have yet to beat Florida, even with a coaching change there... and the game with us last year was still in question until the interception... the BC bowl game was terrible, no way Georgia should have lost that game... I would say last year he was an average coach...

This year.. if Clemson has a kicker... SC doesnt fumble a pitch you are looking at an 8-3 team.. (I know, I know, a win is a win, but did great coaching pull those games out?) I think they did a good job against Bama... but the Tenn game was handed to them... no outcoaching there... He was clearly outcoached by Zook... and Auburn led the game for 59 minutes..

I think Richt has a good presentation of himself, and doesnt give anyone a reason to dislike him personally, (mannerly, etc.) couple that with the fact the the Dawn Nation was just dying for a coach to love... as well as the local media... and you have a "great" coach in the making...

I think there is a reason FSU is not in any hurry to mend fences with Richt... and in my opinion, I havent seen great coaching... good coaching... not great... and alot of lucky breaks... sometimes luck is all you need.

Originally posted by bugboy:

OTOH, we have a weak DL from a run defense standpoint. I don't think it would take a rocket scientist to just start pounding Musa in there. That's where Tenuta has to come up with something to counteract Musa.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">bug, do you think Musa is significantly better than State's McLendon? I think we can handle the straight ahead stuff.

Belly,

You have a point. And no, I don't think Musa is any better than McClendon. I'm more worried about our DL vs. their OL. Their OL isn't great by any means, but there have been a few games where they just started pounding away and were successful (Bama and OM games come to mind). Our DL is really not a strong point, although they've done better than I thought they would. Just MHO.

As I stated in a post below, defense will have to win this game for us. For us, the key seems to be the LB's.

Originally posted by bugboy:

As I stated in a post below, defense will have to win this game for us. For us, the key seems to be the LB's.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Agreed.

Nice topic Axe! As is your post below putting us all back on the right path! Yes, me included. Didn't read board for while today because of total frustration. Once I came back,
grin.gif
some TOP notch football talk! Even the puppies have great convo!

Any time you play great D you have a chance. My mind set towards GT is changing AGAIN. Seems to do that every 10 years or so. We've been outscoring teams for so long. Beelieve our D will give us a chance now. This isn't the same D that played earlier in the year. We're a step or so quicker in the scheme of things. They haven't changed anything. The players are getting it done as a team. Some individual efforts are being noticed by me. Key is just really playing outstanding. He's doing it all. Where I felt early on our safeties were hesitating a bit causing them to take wrong angles on the run, they are now really getting it done. The blitz is coming at the right place forcing qbs to put the ball where they don't want to put it. This is the best job of containing a qb I've seen at GT. Super JOB GUYS. This has made a huge difference especially on 3rd down. Our run D is really good. We're really fast to the corner and side to side, but we are finally really getting good push from our tackles. The LB's are not forced to make all the plays but assisting in more plays. The corners have made more plays than I've seen in a long time. The tackling is much more crisp. Can't say enough about the job I feel Houston is doing as the nickel back. He's always around the ball. He knocked the ball lose for a TO AGAIN against Duke. Having him do that while Key making big big plays from D end in the nickel package is the biggest difference in our D because it makes us so much better on 3rd down. We've really turned into a team on D that makes teams one dimensional while at the same time forcing O's to do what they don't want to do.

We need to sustain drives where our D has a chance to rest. I like Tenuta's chances of stoping Mark's offense if we accomplish that. Greene throws the deep ball well. That's something their recievers are pretty good at IMO. They've shown more big strike than we have. The thing you have to do there is get pressure on Greene. Force him to get ride of the ball quicker than he wants. As we put pressure on him that's what makes the draw to Musa big as well. Backers need to stay home. Tenuta is really good at bringing a safety on blitz or nickel back at right time and place so that the backers can be home. In years past when we use to blitz the running back absolutely killed us.

This is one of the better D's I've seen at GT in the modern age of football
wink.gif
. Now that they all seem to be grasping the system well. I LOVE TENUTA'S D.

Let's just get some solid play out of our O.

GO JACKETS! BEAT THE PUPS!

Edwards isn't supposed to be ready to play until the SEC title game. I think we're in for a defensive struggle in this one. Overall, Tenuta has done a heckuva job-we're talking Frank Broyles Award material. I think he'll force a ton of 3 and outs, but I don't think our offense can move the ball against their D. van Gorder has also done an outstanding job with their talent. AJ absolutely has to play mistake-free, and I just don't think he can do it against this kind of defensive team. The wildcard is how much our team usually gets up for this game. If the seniors can rally AJ and the rest of the team, I think we'll be fine. Remember, both coaching staffs have two weeks to prepare, so it should be a heckuva game.

Originally posted by jacketguy:
I am not so sure that I am in agreement that Richt is a great HC... they went 8-4 last year... with coaching losses to Aub and SC... the Tenn win last year was pure character... but I think Tenn has regressed alot since '98 ... They have yet to beat Florida, even with a coaching change there... and the game with us last year was still in question until the interception... the BC bowl game was terrible, no way Georgia should have lost that game... I would say last year he was an average coach...

I think there is a reason FSU is not in any hurry to mend fences with Richt... and in my opinion, I havent seen great coaching... good coaching... not great... and alot of lucky breaks... sometimes luck is all you need.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Well, applying your criteria to our coach, we are spending alot of money on a guy who is just average. If Georgia goes to the BCS as expected, I don't see how you can say Richt is not a great coach. He took somebody else's players coached them up and stands ready to win a conference championship. Sounds like a great coach to me. I hope we can say the same thing about Gailey next year.

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity.

Richt may not be the brightest OC in the nation but his coaching has put them in position to have the ball bounce in their direction. He has gotten better as a HC this year and you will continue to see him grow into this new position for him. As someone mentioned earlier, he didn't have to work too hard at FSU and I think he is learning that at UGA it takes some more coaching. The risky calls seem to be his nature much as it was for Bobby when he first started and he seems to have done an alright job.

Back