The ACC Should Realign in College Football

GTFLETCH

Dodd-Like
In this video, College Football Chronicle talks about why the ACC should realign their divisions within the conference and how to better balance out the divisions to create more regional rivalries.

College Football Chronicle proposed realignment:

ACC North
Syracuse
BC
PITT
Louisville
VT
UVA
Wake

ACC South
Clemson
GT
FSU
Maimi
Duke
UNC
NC ST

Link

I don't like this proposal, but it has been clear from the very beginning that Swofford screwed the alignment pooch.

East:
Chick fil a
Pizza hut (no papa John's, no)
Ice cream stands
Hot dogs

West:
Wendy's (this is key)
Jimmy John's
Hot dogs****
Funnel cake

North:
Chinese take out
A literal cafeteria
Mexican
Liquor store

Okay, get it done

Swap Miami with Wake and it's a little more balanced competitively. They have to fly everywhere anyways and are used to the Big East schedule so it shouldn't matter to them.
Miami is a northern team.

Doing mile calculations with Miami in it is stupid, unless we add UCF.

Swap Miami with Wake and it's a little more balanced competitively. They have to fly everywhere anyways and are used to the Big East schedule so it shouldn't matter to them.
This is what I've been saying for years. The Miami TV market is the New York City market anyway, in terms of coverage. It also gets the NC schools together.

Rather than re-align, I'd prefer that we get rid of the locked cross-division rival thing and just do both cross-division opponents on a rotating basis. Comparing us locked into playing Clemson every year, for example, with a school who gets Wake every year is a farce.

Rather than re-align, I'd prefer that we get rid of the locked cross-division rival thing and just do both cross-division opponents on a rotating basis. Comparing us locked into playing Clemson every year, for example, with a school who gets Wake every year is a farce.
I like playing Clemson. Cross-division games shouldn't count against your division standings, though

Last edited:
At this point what does it even matter? We ain’t overtaking Clemson anytime soon.

I cannot disagree with the guy -it makes sense geographically. But, in making minimal changes to the current configuration, just swap Clemson and Miami, play nine conference games with no crossover rival. Play six division games, and three teams from the opposite division, then three more next year.

Having seven teams does screw this up, but it would be better than having one crossover rival that you play every season, then playing the other six teams once every six years, meaning games like FSU only come to BDS once every 12 years.

I would eliminate cross divisions.

Next, break conference as follows:

3a-GT, Clem, Lou
3b-Pitt, Syr, BC

4a-VT,Uva, FSU, Miami
4b-unc, ncst, wake, duke

Each year the ‘division’ changes. Even years, 4a+3a. Odd years 4a+3b. Only ‘division’ games count towards the championship. Cross over games are 3a plays 2 teams from 3b. Same for 4a/b.

That is 8 conference games and no more than a 1 year gap playing conference opponents.

In state schools play every year. We get screwed by always having Clem in our ‘division’. Duke series gets interrupted.

Swap BC or SYR and GT. Done.

When Md left we should have moved to that slot. Our cross over would have been Uva with no change in home/home. We would have gone to Clem back to back, but they would have been on the opposite schedule as uga. Basically, everything the fans and AA wanted. Why our AD didn’t push that is a mystery.

I would eliminate cross divisions.

Next, break conference as follows:

3a-GT, Clem, Lou
3b-Pitt, Syr, BC

4a-VT,Uva, FSU, Miami
4b-unc, ncst, wake, duke

Each year the ‘division’ changes. Even years, 4a+3a. Odd years 4a+3b. Only ‘division’ games count towards the championship. Cross over games are 3a plays 2 teams from 3b. Same for 4a/b.

That is 8 conference games and no more than a 1 year gap playing conference opponents.

In state schools play every year. We get screwed by always having Clem in our ‘division’. Duke series gets interrupted.

Interesting -and a proposal of such that I have never seen before.

Back