The Block In The Back Call Bring Back Our TD Before Half…

Defenseless has nothing to do with targeting. Targeting is defined as "making forcible contact with the crown of the helmet or making forcible contact to the head or neck area of an opponent." You can hit somebody in the thigh, and if your head is down, it can be called targeting.
I believe there are 2 scenarios for targeting, which are a bit different. One of which is what MidnightJacket is alluding.

1) "Defenseless player", which are defined as either a QB in the pocket or receiver catching a ball or runner held up in the pile. You could use any part of your body that makes forceable contact to their head or neck and it's targeting.

2) Outside of that, you then have the classic targeting of using your helmet as a weapon which has sub-bullets of launching yourself (e.g., if you leave your feet and any part of your helmet hits their head/neck ) or using crown of the helmet to make contact to their head or neck area.

Defenseless has nothing to do with targeting. Targeting is defined as "making forcible contact with the crown of the helmet or making forcible contact to the head or neck area of an opponent." You can hit somebody in the thigh, and if your head is down, it can be called targeting.
The rule is to protect the defender too is what most folks don't realize. Come in with the crown of your helmet like a spear and you can paralyze yourself. Do it, and you sit

I believe there are 2 scenarios for targeting, which are a bit different. One of which is what MidnightJacket is alluding.

1) "Defenseless player", which are defined as either a QB in the pocket or receiver catching a ball or runner held up in the pile. You could use any part of your body that makes forceable contact to their head or neck and it's targeting.

2) Outside of that, you then have the classic targeting of using your helmet as a weapon which has sub-bullets of launching yourself (e.g., if you leave your feet and any part of your helmet hits their head/neck ) or using crown of the helmet to make contact to their head or neck area.
Yes, there are 2 separate rules. My point to him is that there doesn't have to be a "defenseless player" scenario for targeting to be called. He seemed to think there does. Also, to your point on classic targeting call, the rule may have been originally meant to be interpreted that way, but now there does not have to be any indication of using the helmet as a weapon. If your head is down and the crown of the helmet makes any contact, it is targeting by rule. Like JJ said above, it is now interpreted this way to protect both players.

That was the worst holding call in a close game that I can remember.

I’m still pissed about it. 7-7 vs 7-3 is a huge difference when you’re facing an elite defense all day.

I’m still pissed about it. 7-7 vs 7-3 is a huge difference when you’re facing an elite defense all day.
Especially since holds seem to be overlooked across college football nowadays. I have pointed that out on here. Kind of like how travelling and carrying are no longer called in basketball

At that level of competition, it shouldn't have as much effect, but I have no doubt in my mind that it was also in our players and coaches heads too about the fact that Clemson had still not given up an offensive TD when we got there again late. Had we scored a TD in that first attempt, all that goes out the window and you play your game. It's like we felt we had to be creative to score, and who knows, maybe we did have to. It was a huge difference maker.

I thought both Carpenter and the Clemson player should have been called on that play. Refs hesitate to call it on O players but theres a youtube video out there of a QB getting called for it. There was a game last week where 4 targetings called in the 1H. I would only call it if it was outrageously obvious. Let the replay official call it. He gets to look at several angles in slow motion over and over again.

Back