The Geoff Collins Effect!

GTFLETCH

Dodd-Like
Do not have 2022 data or last year yet... But you can start to see why CGC is on the hot seat. However if the coaching changes work and we get bowl eligibility it will be interesting to see these numbers in 2023 and 2024.

TICKET SALES
2018 (CPJ) - 14.2M
2019 (CGC) - 11M
2020 (CGC) - 10.3M
2021(GCG) - 3.4M (Covid year)

DONOR CONTRIBUTIONS
2018 (CPJ) - 11.5M
2019 (CGC) - 12.8M
2020 (CGC) - 10.9M
2021(GCG) - 7.7M

CORPORATE SPONSORSHIP, ADVERTISING, LICENSING
2018 (CPJ) - 6M
2019 (CGC) - 8M
2020 (CGC) - 7M
2021(GCG) - 7.2M

Last edited:
I wonder if the ticket sales always beeing less than CPJ last season shows that folks were not buying CGC hype, or if there is another reason why it has been low? not interviewing or hiring Jeff Monken or Ken N, looks like the AD really lost some of the fanbase?

It's pretty simple, the more you win, the more tickets you sell, contributions you collect, etc. Lose, and the numbers go in the opposite direction.

Once CPJ left, absolutely everybody expected us to do poorly the following season, so it's not surprising that everything went down. Even though everyone knew the switch to a non-TO scheme would take time, people still want to see wins, and will pull back if they don't expect them. This isn't the Geoff Collins effect, this is something that has been around since the dawn of ticketed sporting events.

Had we started winning in the second or third season, you would have seen the numbers go up. But of course we didn't, so they kept going down, and things are pretty dire right now. Expect a whole lot of empty seats in the coming season.

Hard to believe the ticket sales fell off so much from 2018 to 2019. I felt like the fanbase was somewhat energized by the coaching change, but maybe that declined late in the year. The year to year fluctuation in schedule quality also has to be factored in.

2020 was the reduced capacity Covid year, so I don’t really understand the numbers…

JRjr

It's pretty simple, the more you win, the more tickets you sell, contributions you collect, etc. Lose, and the numbers go in the opposite direction.

Once CPJ left, absolutely everybody expected us to do poorly the following season, so it's not surprising that everything went down. Even though everyone knew the switch to a non-TO scheme would take time, people still want to see wins, and will pull back if they don't expect them. This isn't the Geoff Collins effect, this is something that has been around since the dawn of ticketed sporting events.

Had we started winning in the second or third season, you would have seen the numbers go up. But of course we didn't, so they kept going down, and things are pretty dire right now. Expect a whole lot of empty seats in the coming season.
Yep. Hard to sell bad products. And our product is really really bad right now. Both on field performance and game/atmosphere have plummeted. Add to that, we only play 5 home games in 2022, and you have a recipe for a really bad season ticket turnout.

It's been declining everywhere, not just at GT.
So I looked at other ACC schools, and schools from other FBS conf in our region and it doesn't appear that "everyones" ticket sales are down. In Fact only FSUs is worse than Tech's.

Worse to Best in three year ticket sales (pre-covid):

FLORIDA STATE UNIVERSITY
-28.97% (percent change in dollars) from 2018-2020
GEORGIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
-27.18% (percent change in dollars) from 2018-2020
UNIVERSITY OF LOUISVILLE
-8.92% (percent change in dollars) from 2018-2020
UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA AT CHAPEL HILL
-5.76% (percent change in dollars) from 2018-2020
GEORGIA STATE UNIVERSITY
-3.45% (percent change in dollars) from 2018-2020
UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA
-1.44% (percent change in dollars) from 2018-2020
VIRGINIA POLYTECHNIC INSTITUTE AND STATE UNIVERSITY
-1.17% (percent change in dollars) from 2018-2020
AUBURN UNIVERSITY
+1.83% (percent change in dollars) from 2018-2020
GEORGIA SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY
+7.65% (percent change in dollars) from 2018-2020
CLEMSON UNIVERSITY
+8.02% (percent change in dollars) from 2018-2020
NORTH CAROLINA STATE UNIVERSITY AT RALEIGH
+17.87% (percent change in dollars) from 2018-2020
UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA
+11.97% (percent change in dollars) from 2018-2020
UNIVERSITY OF GEORGIA MUTTS
+48.83% (percent change in dollars) from 2018-2020

Hard to believe the ticket sales fell off so much from 2018 to 2019. I felt like the fanbase was somewhat energized by the coaching change, but maybe that declined late in the year. The year to year fluctuation in schedule quality also has to be factored in.

2020 was the reduced capacity Covid year, so I don’t really understand the numbers…

JRjr
Makes me wonder why Jeff Monken and Ken N were never interviewed and who was pushing for a change from the flexbone? It is pretty clear from the season ticket sales that it was not the fanbase. I have heard rumors that it was Pat Swilling as he did not want his son BJS to play BB in CPJ system... Not sure if that is rumor or if it is true....

Last edited:
Yep. Hard to sell bad products. And our product is really really bad right now. Both on field performance and game/atmosphere have plummeted. Add to that, we only play 5 home games in 2022, and you have a recipe for a really bad season ticket turnout.
Not only is the product bad but the coach is an A$$ with the "you don't want to see the progress" comments.

Makes me wonder why Jeff Monken and Ken N were never interviewed and who was pushing for a change from the flexbone? It is pretty clear from the season ticket sales that it was not the fanbase. I have heard rumors that it was Pat Swilling as he did not want his son BJS to play BB in CPJ system... Not sure if that is rumor or if it is true....

Plenty of the fanbase was ready to move on from the TO. Hell, I love the TO and CPJ but even I had to admit that the last few years it was absolutely brutal to watch at GT, even if we did win a decent number of games.

The decrease in ticket sales doesn't mean that fans weren't ready to see something other than the TO, it means that GT fans are fair weather (like most fans) and there weren't all that many of us to begin with.

It's very clear that the old south/old money/old guard portion of the fanbase wanted a recruiting-oriented standard offense to try to beat Georgia, Clemson, and Florida State at their own game. The wisdom of that is still technically up in the air, I suppose.

Plenty of the fanbase was ready to move on from the TO. Hell, I love the TO and CPJ but even I had to admit that the last few years it was absolutely brutal to watch at GT, even if we did win a decent number of games.
Unfortunately all offenses are pretty brutal to watch when you literally have no quarterback and are playing a converted running back in that spot. Between Graham, Oliver, and Yates, that seemed likely to change in 2019, but the plug was already pulled at that point.
Once CPJ left, absolutely everybody expected us to do poorly the following season, so it's not surprising that everything went down.
Not exactly true, there were pro-CGC people who frequent this site predicting 8+ wins in 2019.

I wasn't so much that fans were sad the Triple Option left. It was things like losing to the Citadel and basically looking like a disorganized poorly coached team that sent fans home. The "rip the bandaid off" mantra was basically a dog whistle that GT wasn't even going to try to win that year. Why show up for the game when the athletic department is telling everyone they are closed for remodeling. Last year (and this year) GT is basically in the 'Prove it' mode. Show us you are actually improving over the first year when you demolished everything, or we still won't be back.

Unfortunately all offenses are pretty brutal to watch when you literally have no quarterback and are playing a converted running back in that spot. Between Graham, Oliver, and Yates, that seemed likely to change in 2019, but the plug was already pulled at that point.

This is very subjective, but I'd disagree. I'd say the offense has been more exciting under CGC than that last year or two under CPJ even though overall it's sucked. The last couple years under CPJ we almost never even ran the triple option. It was super ugly even though it was decently productive. It was quite a change from earlier years, which had some of the most enjoyable offensive football I've ever watched.

Not exactly true, there were pro-CGC people who frequent this site predicting 8+ wins in 2019.

Hah. Some, sure. But I think most acknowledged that it was going to be a very difficult transition that first year or two.

This is very subjective, but I'd disagree. I'd say the offense has been more exciting under CGC than that last year or two under CPJ even though overall it's sucked. The last couple years under CPJ we almost never even ran the triple option. It was super ugly even though it was decently productive. It was quite a change from earlier years, which had some of the most enjoyable offensive football I've ever watched.

Hah. Some, sure. But I think most acknowledged that it was going to be a very difficult transition that first year or two.
What about our offense under CGC has excited you? I usually get excited for things like scoring points, moving the ball effectively, and getting first downs.

What about our offense under CGC has excited you? I usually get excited for things like scoring points, moving the ball effectively, and getting first downs.

I was stunned by that as well. I will take the Flex-bone over the P-nope any day. Watching the Brent Key offensive line has been one of the most depressing things I've seen on a GT game day in decades.

Things have certainly been more exciting with Sims, although often for the worse. The other signal callers not so much. Just a slow, expected death

Back