The Greatest Call in College Football History...

gtfan1147

Dodd-Like
The day was November 27, 1999.
Brent Mussberger with the call...
They've put it down!
They've put it down!
Can you belive it?
They've put it down!

Gary Danielson: There still a little conference call going on down there.

Brent Mussberger: And they're givin' it to Georgia Tech!

I was just rewatching that game on tape on GT-UGA eve. What a wonderful game!

I don't know about the greatest call, but the greatest game I ever followed was LSU against Ole Miss years ago. Both teams were good and it was a terrific defensive game.

It was back during the years when there was little TV. I was listening to the game on the radio in Atlanta on a Saturday night.

Billy Cannon of LSU either returned a punt or ran a play from scrimmage for about seventy yards to defeat Ole Miss in a close game. Every player on the Ole Miss team had a chance to tackle Cannon, but he eventually ran around and through all of the defensive players to score.

That play was replayed on the sports news and at other TV games for years. I believe it has been accorded as one of the most exciting games ever in college football.

blue.gif
blue.gif
blue.gif

I was listening too, ahso. 1957, wasn't it? And Tiger Stadium absolutely rocked!, not just that night, but for every game. It was exciting to hear a broadcast from Baton Rouge in those days, partly because night games were fairly rare other than at LSU.

Originally posted by bellyseries:
I was listening too, ahso. 1957, wasn't it? And Tiger Stadium absolutely rocked!, not just that night, but for every game. It was exciting to hear a broadcast from Baton Rouge in those days, partly because night games were fairly rare other than at LSU.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">The more i think about this, the more it seems Father Time has played a trick on poor old bellyseries. That play was in the Sugar Bowl of '58, a rematch of LSU-Ole Miss, my addled brain now says. Is that right, ahso?

We could get the LSU night games on a clear channel AM station, but the bowl would of course been in the daytime anyway.

You messed up, Bellyseries. The Billy Cannon game was during the regular season & was on a Sat nite. With Ole Miss leading 3-0 in the 3rd qtr, Cannon fielded a punt & returned it 80 yds for a TD to put LSU up 7-3, which became the final score.
LSU & Ole Miss met in a rematch, after the season, in the Sugar Bowl. Ole Miss won the Bowl game 21-0.

Here's a funny story about the GT-Ga '99 game.
My best friend, ALlives btw, couldn't bear to watch the Dogs snatch another heartbreaking win away from us. He took off when Ga got the 1st down inside the 10. He hit Techwood walking fast in the crowd going away from the stadium. He says the street was packed.
The guy he was walking close to was listening on the radio. This guy stops & yells "UNBELIEVABLE!". He then says "Tech got the ball". AL goes "WHAT?". "We got the ball".
My friend says he & the whole street did a u-turn & sprinted back into the stadium.
All those people, who paid to see the game, missed seeing 'the fumble' live.

Yes, IMO the GT-Ugag game of 99 was the greatest game of all time. I am sure that there have been other games between other teams, but this had my heart and soul in it. It went from total despair to exhiliration, more exhiliration, ecstasy.

blue.gif

Gotta love Munson's call of the fumble...

"They called it a fumble?!? They've given Tech the ball! They've given Tech the ball! The Dawgs are HOWLING around the officials! They've suddenly given Tech the ball. Georgia really complaining!"

Then the field goal in OT...

"Tech's gonna kick another one. You see, that's why they tried it on 3rd down. We're gonna have to block it again. You can't possibly do it...can't possibly do it..."

Gotta love a whining Munson.

I could barely watch the fumble. I knew it was over. Then I heard Wes say Tech might have it. I sat there and prayed for us to have the ball for what seemed like 30 seconds. Watching the replay, it all happened in about 5-10 seconds. That had to the most exhausting and thrilling game I've ever watched.

GT Ace, thanks for the recap. Belly and I can't rememeber as well as we could in younger days.

Belly, you are right, it was an exciting game, and almost any game at LSU on a Saturday night was a tremendous experience in those days, even listening to them on radio.

grin.gif

Back