The Iron Dukes to get new football helmet design

Kinda like a

Jerry Glanville move with the Falcons /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugher.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drinking.gif

Re: Kinda like a

Don't know if it's true, but I heard the helmet will be white, with two black stripes around a blue one down the middle, the Iron Duke symbol will not have a Devil's head and the facemask will be black. They've also been debating little pitchforks for good plays ala FSU's tomahawk.

It is way beyond me why some schools, who unlike GT do not need a darker third color, keep adding black to their unis. That said, I wish we had chosen black as a third.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I ALWAYS liked and preferred the "Black-watch" helmets...That black "GT" just stands out so well - from the stands you can't make out the white GT at all.....JMHO....

Gold, it isn't that I would not have liked the black logo (or in our new scheme dark blue), but first, I wish it had been outlined with white. Second, I hated that wide black stripe, and third, and most importantly I dispise unis that have stickers, patches or whatever that set players apart from each other. Football is the ultimate team sport and all the unis should be exactly the same, I think. Black Watch should have been designated some other way I think. I really would never like to see uni changes that will not stand the test of time.

The way the Black Watch should have been run is that if you made a certain number of outstanding defensive plays or met some predetermined standard, then you would get the black GT and the black stripe and become part of the Black Watch. The coaches would then stress that the goal of each class is to get as many players into the Black Watch as possible, by encouraging them to meet the goal that would get them into the Black Watch. Then it wouldn't be an exclusionary thing, but something that encourages the current members to help the others get into the club as well. The goals could be defined however the coaches or team captains decide (interceptions, tackles, sacks, whatever).

I didn't like the stripe either..

I just liked the black "GT" - thats all....for everybody too - I don't like the idea of different helmets for different players -regardless of the reason (rewards etc)

I just liked seeing the GT from the stands, which the black allows....I don't favor black in general for the uni's --- I simply liked the black "GT" on the helmet. period.

[ QUOTE ]
The way the Black Watch should have been run is that if you made a certain number of outstanding defensive plays or met some predetermined standard, then you would get the black GT and the black stripe and become part of the Black Watch. The coaches would then stress that the goal of each class is to get as many players into the Black Watch as possible, by encouraging them to meet the goal that would get them into the Black Watch. Then it wouldn't be an exclusionary thing, but something that encourages the current members to help the others get into the club as well. The goals could be defined however the coaches or team captains decide (interceptions, tackles, sacks, whatever).

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Great idea. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

Not a huge fan of the use of decals or such to single out certian players and to me FSU/Ohio State and all those just look ugly. Football is the ultimate team sport and its never really going to be fair for some part of the team, the linemen don't have near the oppertunity to get recognition as the backs/recievers so they get less stickers and thats just dumb. That said, I'm not completely agianst some form of recognition. Something along the lines of defensive starters having Blackwatch helmets, or the team itself voting on members of the Blackwatch or something like that, not an arbitrary number of tackles or yards after catch.

Back