THE KEY FOR US TONIGHT..

BLACK WATCH

Helluva Engineer
IMHO....
A. To control the football on the ground/ Establish our running game to take the pressure of young Reggie...
B. For Coach Tenuta to throw the book at em defensively ( We have to somehow compensate for our lack of size up front defensively) As Coach Gailey has said we have to be on the move Defensively as we will not match up size wise..Fly to the football (11 helmets on the ballcarrier all night)
C. Young Reggie playing under control and not trying to beat BYU by his arm..Its been said that he is smart and doesnt throw interceptions, this has to be the case tonight as their new highly touted DC will throw all kindof looks at him all night...I really believe Reggie needs to use his feet a lot tonight and make em pay with his runs, sort of like Vick...

For all the criticism of the 3-3-5 as a gimick defense, the first post by BLACK-WATCH above describes it perfectly. I actually believe that TECH will be watching BYU play defense very closely for more than just finding ways to score on it. I think they are looking at two programs with similar defensive personnel and over the season, if BYU does really well with it, TECH will be doing exactly what you describe above. That's what a 3-3-5 allows you to do!

SportsForum...You may have a point there..If not the 3-3-5 we will use the 3-4 a lot this year as we have VERY LITTLE depth up front..
The neat thing with us NOW..We have the best DC in Jon Tenuta that weve had since the mid-80s when we had Don Lindsey and our famed BLACK WATCH defense...Tenuta knows how to make adjustments ...Jon Tenuta doesnt have all the bodies yet on that side of the football BUT when he does..LOOK OUT...

You are so right. TECH has had offense and good o-plans over the years. For some reason TECH has not been as good defensively as they should have been. One problem I think is the diversity in the ACC.

The time is gone (since FSU came into the league) when teams just played the game on the ground. Virginia threw a lot with Welsh, but most teams were content to grind it out. GT has always designed their offense to fit the athlete at QB so it changes a bit each year. The bottom line is GT has produced a lot of top 25 offenses over the years like BYU.

Before FSU, GT's defenses were adequate. After FSU came on board, the entire ACC except Clemson began to shake up their schemes, more passing, opening up the game and causing havoc for defenses. Beating FSU requires playing their game as good or better than them I think and so now, TECH needs a defense to match the varied offenses it faces. BYU is a very good opening game for TECH. AUBURN and CLEMSON will try to run over TECH but they can also be stopped with good rotation and 8 in the box. Make them beat you with the forward pass and make them throw accurately.

Hate to say this cause it might offend some, but the ACC plays a lot like the old WAC and the current MWC...lots of high powered offense. It doesn't mean defenses aren't good. All things are relative. It is very exciting football now. Maryland, NC State, GT usually and always FSU... all fun to watch.

Well I've said enough. You have a great site here and like my mom and dad, you are great fans of the game. Good luck to all of us tonight. I sort of can't loose beccause UCLA isn't playing today!

Back