The Myth of Georgia's Being Last in SAT's

Reckbert

Varsity Lurker
The Myth of Georgia\'s Being Last in SAT\'s

As I understand it:

Georgia may have the lowest average SAT scores of all the states.

Georgia is one of the few (if there are any others) states that requires ALL public school students to take the SAT exam. Think how that skews the average SAT scores given the fact that most, if not all, of our opponents' states are content just to let the COLLEGE-BOUND STUDENTS IN THEIR SYSTEMS take the SATs. All their non-college HS students who DO NOT take the SATs do not have to be averaged in (which significantly raises their "over-all" average SAT scores).

It ain't as bad as the media would have you believe. Maybe the problem is that the media is not quantitative enough! They are comparing "apples vs oranges."

Lies, damn lies, and statistics!!!

Re: The Myth of Georgia\'s Being Last in SAT\'s

I've never heard that all students are required to take the SAT but sifnificantly more GA students take the SAT than most states. Many states preodiminantly take the ACT. In these states only the top students (who wish to go to college out of state) take the SAT. For example Miss had around 8% students take the test versus GA which had close to 70%.

Not a myth. Georgia IS last. Now, are there reasons for it? Yes, many. And it's not solely b/c more Georgia students take the test.

Originally posted by Gtech:
Not a myth. Georgia IS last. Now, are there reasons for it? Yes, many. And it's not solely b/c more Georgia students take the test.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Well, what are the reasons then? I hope you're not trying to infer that Mississippi and Alabama have better schools. I'm not saying we have great schools in Georgia, but there's no way we're the worst. I say that this "last in the SAT" stat is the most overblown pile of garbage.

Reckbert, I agree the participation level does skew the nos., but there's a lot more to it. The South simply has to stop being afraid to challenge it's youngsters to perform at a work level and grade level similar to many of the high performing states. This protectionism of our bottom 10% is just dumb. We also need to address our number of single parent situations. THWG

The problem is that we have too many University of Georgia graduates in the media and running our schools.

The problem is that we have too many University of Georgia graduates in the media and running our schools.

I teach in a Ga. public high school; no one is required to take the SAT.

Originally posted by goldbuzz:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">That must be a major freaking problem if it takes 4 times to say it.

laugh.gif

The SAT scores are pretty much a red herring. Bug is surely right, there can't be much difference between SC, GA, ALA, Miss, and LA. and our educational issues go far back in our history. The suburbs of Southern cities have schools that are as good as any in the US, I would think, but our rural areas and inner cities (like inner cities everywhere) have problems.

I assume what brought this up is recruiting problems in Ga..So Ga has bad schools.No worse in general than Ala where I am .That SAT score story is an example of statistics saying anything you want.As has been said previously ,the Ala students score much higher because most take ACT and only the top ones usually take SAT to go out of state to school.So ,duh. Ala scores are higher on avg than Ga in SAT.

Back