The positions of current recruits and prospects...

hiveredtech

Dodd-Like
Everyone should just save their breath and save the question, "Was he recruited as a ___ or a ___ ?"

It does not matter at all.

1) We are recruiting a lot of athletes and jumbo athletes that could end up in several spots. Heck...when Barnes was signed one coach said we could mold this young man into a TB, FB, WR, TE, DE, LB, FS, or SS.

2) You do not know how they body is going to change...these kids are either 17 or 18 years old at this point and may not stop growing until 21 years of age. Plus...you put them on a training table and with a strength coach and you never know what you will end up with.

3) How they play head to head at the college level from a mental and physical standpoint. Some positions are more mentally challenging and some lean toward the more physically challenging. You do not discover much of this until they hit the D1 practice field...and then another notch during ACC play.

4) How does this kid work in space? Some kids get lost if they have to work the more open areas of the playing field...and they just do much better inside because of their footwork. It is not just about bounce and speed moving forward...it has to do with adjusting your feet in your backpedal or moving laterally.

So....no need to ask "why are we recruiting 2 DE's or 3 DE's or 4 LB's or 2 TB's". I am sure the coaches have a good idea of where they want the kid in 2 to 3 years...but it may also be something that none of us know...or need to know.

Dang good reasoning hivered. I just wonder if that pertains to Offensive Tackles too. I've always heard, "once a Tackle, always a Tackle".

[ QUOTE ]
Dang good reasoning hivered. I just wonder if that pertains to Offensive Tackles too. I've always heard, "once a Tackle, always a Tackle".

[/ QUOTE ]

You could definitely argue OT's would be among the easiest to peg based on size and mobility! Of course, we will see a 3 yr starter at DT move to starting RT next season...and like this Thursday!

He is correct. One year ol' Vince signed 3 QB's that won the state in their respective divisions. None of them played QB at Georgia. Steve Dennis (Central Macon-AAA) played tight end (nice kid from a nice family but got caught up in some scandal at Auburn while coaching). Johnny Henderson (Mt.de Sales Macon Class A) played cornerback - another decent guy whose Dad coached in Macon and later in Athens. Cannot remember the third guy but he signed athletes then put them where they could play. Same deal here.

So, this thinking would be opposed to the thought that RB could have been only destined to hold the position of qb in college at the D-1 level.
I realize that there is more to it. Like what may have been promised a player at signing time.

well...obviously team need plays a role. For instance...Wrotto has played DT for us because we needed him more there even though his best pro potential is on the OL.

If you have a backlog at any position...and a kid talks to the coach about learning another spot to get on the field...that can and will happen.

Wow, you think Wrotto is going to play tackle next year? I thought for sure he was a guard.

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, you think Wrotto is going to play tackle next year? I thought for sure he was a guard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Coaches are saying he will first work out at RT.

Back