The Professional Collegiate League

eneq

Junior Varsity Lurker
So they’ll have to be enrolled in college, but it doesn’t sound like there will be any GPA or academic progress requirements. What’s stopping these kids from enrolling in a local community college and taking 1 class a semester? Is that really in the spirit of what this league is going for?

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
So they’ll have to be enrolled in college, but it doesn’t sound like there will be any GPA or academic progress requirements. What’s stopping these kids from enrolling in a local community college and taking 1 class a semester? Is that really in the spirit of what this league is going for?
Yeah I really don't understand the college requirement.

johncu

Dodd-Like
Doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me. Who would choose this route over the existing one? Seems like you would have to get into college and pay your own way, not to mention whatever the pay is probably won’t exceed high D1 options anyway.

Competition to the NCAA should not include college as a requirement at all.

fatmike91

Varsity Lurker
Doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me. Who would choose this route over the existing one? Seems like you would have to get into college and pay your own way, not to mention whatever the pay is probably won’t exceed high D1 options anyway.
"The PCL, whose leadership includes former NBA star David West, hopes to threaten the primacy of the NCAA by paying its players between $50,000 and $150,000 each year, in addition to offering them stipends to cover college tuition."

I think you got it backwards, once the league is established, who wouldn't take this route?

/

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
"The PCL, whose leadership includes former NBA star David West, hopes to threaten the primacy of the NCAA by paying its players between $50,000 and $150,000 each year, in addition to offering them stipends to cover college tuition."

I think you got it backwards, once the league is established, who wouldn't take this route?

/
What happens if you're cut or out after a season with a few thousand dollars to your name and zero further opportunities to further your game?

The Jacket

The Coat
You guys left out the funniest part.

The Professional Collegiate League reached a pact with Next Level, a network owned by a former Obama administration official, that will air its games on both TV and streaming platforms.

MEwreck02

Russian Hacker
What happens if you're cut or out after a season with a few thousand dollars to your name and zero further opportunities to further your game?
You mean like trying to rely on that BS in basket waving instead?

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
Then you proceed with life like the rest of humanity which wasn't blessed/burdened with above-average ability to put a ball in a peach basket?
I agree but think 99.9% of college recruits would be better served by going to college. There is already a G-league route which pays decent money to elite high school players. I don't think there are enough elite players to sustain another separate league.

I wonder if the NCAA is behind this or welcomes this, because this seems like exactly the sort of thing you'd want in order to be able to claim you aren't a monopoly.

Or maybe you create NCAA competitor league, cry foul, then settle with NCAA for $$$$$$$$$

andrew

Or maybe you create NCAA competitor league, cry foul, then settle with NCAA for $$$$$$$$$
If it was that easy there are a few failed football leagues that would have made a lot of money.

cyptomcat

PostBot
Staff member
Why the college requirement? I don't get this. Does the customer on "next level network" care if the athletes are enrolled?

I wonder if they say that to make it seem like NCAA, like a better alternative, but they will eventually drop it, or basically it will be in-name only. Anyone who wants to play can sign up for a course at a paper mill or something.

cyptomcat

PostBot
Staff member
I agree but think 99.9% of college recruits would be better served by going to college. There is already a G-league route which pays decent money to elite high school players. I don't think there are enough elite players to sustain another separate league.
It looks like the g-league route is only for the best 5 high school players every season since only one team will accept them. The new G-league Select Team based out of California. Neat idea to see rookie superstars ahead of them going to NBA.

In other words, PCL is targeting the next 20-50 players who couldn't make the G-league select team, but still want to make some money before the NBA draft. We will see if there is a market for watching them play...

GTCrew4b

All moratoria must be earned
Particularly for basketball, it is my understanding that College professors make a lot of sacrifices/concessions to help athletes in terms of test scheduling and such. I don’t think this league will get the same help. Seems like if you want the college requirement this should be a summer league.

Last edited:

TechRush

Dodd-Like
I don't understand the college requirement. A few of these kids won't be able to get into college without their athletic scholarship.

andrew

I don't understand the college requirement. A few of these kids won't be able to get into college without their athletic scholarship.
Depends on the level of college required. There are plenty of colleges out there that have zero academic standards and are just being run for profit. Especially if they allow online-only universities to qualify.

But yeah, I don't understand it either. Seems really pointless.