The reality of reality

BEESerk

Flats Noob
I've been a way for a long time, but I have been lurking all the while. I just wanted to put my two cents in...

My life has changed a lot in the past year and I have had to change what my priorities in life are. I am expecting my first child, and GT's newest little cheerleader (it is a girl.. no flag boy here) on Christmas day. I have been blessed by God with this gift, and I can't thank him enough.

Having said that, if anyting this has made me even more dedicated to GT. I want her to grow up knowing how much myself and all my tailgating friends (we all went to GT together) love our school. That will not change. We will be there 0-10 and 10-0. I will give the money to GTAA to make sure I have my tickets, and the incredible kids that come to play for GT have the money they need to get an education.

What has actually transpired over the past year among our fan base is actually APATHY! We have better things to do with our time. GTAA's own financial report shown this. A loss of $7 million dollars in private donations is a sure sign of people rearranging of priorities. A program that went from profit to loss is a sure sign of problems.

Tech fans are unique. Alumni are very fickle. I have more important things to do with my life than to tailgate and show up at a football game only to get upset at people that are paid to do a good job. If I don't do a good job I get fired. I do a good job on a consistent basis. People expect more out of me BECAUSE I represent GT. I can live with losses, I can live with losing years, I can live with seasons falling short of expectations, and I can live with National Championships.

In fact, I have lived with all of those! And my support of the program from pretty much all facets has not waivered. I see no problem with the "internet" and what it brings out in people. It won't destroy the program. Perofrmance by professionals (the coaching staff and GTAA) that fosters apathetic feelings is what will destroy the program. I have documented "Coach" Braine's failures more than enough in the past, and from first hand experience I know his people are not capable of fixing things or even acknowledging that there is a problem. This is the bigger problem that continues to override what we see on the field.

I know CDB will be gone, and Gailey will probably be gone in the near future. I don't care to argue the little points. I was one of the early "Hive" members, and I seriously worry about good people over there who have bought into the "good for GT" mantra that is nothing more than damage control. It doesn't take the internet and radical message board fonts to see this. The internet is good, and at the same time it is useless. It allows me to communicate this message, but it doesn't fix our problem. Only time, and loss of money to GTAA is fixing that.

D@mn fine post, I totally agre!! I was there for the 1-10 season and the 11-0-1 season (only missed 3 games during the 1990 season and I was in 6th grade). I am a Die-Hard Tech fan despite graduating from Uga! I've been to everywhere from Utah to Florida to Maryland to watch our boys play football (heading to Miami next weekend). I bleed Gold and White and always will!

That said, I do worry about those in charge in the GTAA. Braine seems clueless and frankly could careless. It reminds me of working in DC, no offense to those working for the govt. but there is NO accountability! Like others have said, in business you have to account for your actions or the lack there of.

We need change and it starts at the top!

[ QUOTE ]
Only time, and loss of money to GTAA is fixing that.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the tangible bottom line, when subjective opinions of performance start to materialize in loss of dollars is when heads start rolling.

So exactly what is your point?

I was #50 at the Hive and I don't agree that people are just doing damage control ala "what's good for Tech". Regarding a head coach, they should be given all the tools necessary for success and about four or five years. In Chan's case then, we should give him the tools and the time. We haven't in either yet. So most of us just think the bitching is counterproductive, not damage control.

Regarding Braine, he's retiring at the end of next year I believe, so what's the point? He wasn't perfect for football but he did do some good things in other arenas.

Back