"THE STING" William Bell 1990

Re: \"THE STING\" William Bell 1990

William is one of my all time favorites (add to the list). When his game was "on" he was a bad mofo. Loved that cat and that team. Bobby Rodriguez, Emmett Merchant...that team kicked ass!

William Bell was a man. The run that sealed the deal against Neb. was one of the all time classics.

I don't know for sure, but I believe his bookstore incident the following off season led to Coach Ross' departure from the flats.

That run was CLASSIC...I think P.J. is a Bell clone..The run P.J. broke against FSU reminded me of that William Bell classic...What we need now is to develop a Tony Hollings type back with that blinding speed that is a true threat to break it every play....

102206-1112_large.jpg

Thanks LAWBEE for puttimg the picture in. I wasn't able to do it so I just included the link to the site.

I like the orange-based gold of those years better than the green-based gold of the current years.

I must agree with the Bunger. I like those yellow britches alot better than the pale ones GT wears now. I sure hope we go back to white shirts/gold pants for home games next year, too.

I don't want white shirts at home just to keep UGAg from wearing red next year. If we can't wear deep gold jerseys, navy blue would do - even if it were only once a season like Clemson does sometimes with the purples.

In 1990 when "Bell and the Yellow Jackets stuck it to Virginia", that was an away game. We were wearing Blue jerseys at home.

I just finished reading Kim King's book Tales from the Georgia Tech Sideline and he believed that the Pizza brawl played a large part in Ross leaving.

In the book he stated that Ross hired a lawyer to investigate the fight. The lawyer basically reported that the players did not instigate the incident and Ross backed the players. The book gave the impression that Homer Rice, due to the pressure of some alumni, was less supportive of the players. King believed that Ross viewed this as a sign that the administration did not trust him.

After reading the book it looked like Tech administration was unprepared for success. King talks about doing the 1991 bowl game in Hawaii from Atlanta because Tech was trying to cut back on travel expenses. You've just won the National Championship, yet you don't want to spend a few thousand dollars to send your radio crew to Hawaii. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wtf.gif

The biggest make Tech ever made was letting Ross leave. We should have made him the highest paid coach or whatever it would have taken but we should not have let him go to the pros. People may say that he dreamed of coaching in the NFL, but everyone has a price and we should have paid it.

King's book is very good and is available through Amazon.com. I purchased several copies to give as Christmas gifts.

Thanks Buzz! That will be a definite must read for me.

Back