this is a public forum

techfowl

Jolly Good Fellow
Just like the stock market - if the public believes in a stock, it will rise, whether it's profitable or not.

If the public thinks a stock is a dog - it drops, even if it's a profitable company.

Certain things in life really are a self fulfilling prophecy.

If I'm a prospective recruit, and I read some of this crap - even if I make an independent decision, it will affect my view of a program.

If I read fans that want to be behind me no matter what - I want to be at that school.

If you guys don't want Chan - put the venom and resources in the right places and the right context.

Guys, I love this program. I appreciate the people in it and I don't want people outside the program and it's fans to know anything negative about it - which is inevitable. I know some of you love the program too much NOT say something about what you think shouldn't be tolerated - and I respect that very much too.

Regardless of our approach, we all clearly have our opinions for the right reasons.

But could we need to at least censor ourselves a little more? Clearly we should all be entitled to our opinion - that's what this place is.

I would, though, ask myself this question before each post - - If I were an 18 yr old recruit, and I read this, how would it affect my opinion? Would it make me want to come to this place and help be a part of turning it around?

This is a topic that has been covered in considerable detail every year during recruiting season.

While there are valid arguments that can be made to support each position, I tend to think young men considering coming to Tech should know all they can know, good and bad before making their decision; no room for regrets later.

From my perspective as a Tech grad whose son now goes to Tech, I look at these kids as future Tech grads, not just Tech football players. I want them to graduate (if they don't want to graduate I would prefer they not come), and feel a strong loyalty as I do to the school and their fellow Alumni. In that spirit, I don't want any kid to get the wool pulled over his eyes by his fellow Tech men and women.

So I say tell it like it is, good and bad; though I am an advocate of removing some of the ravings from our worst camp followers.

To illustrate my point; I doubt if any of us will ever know what really happened to Al Pena. He was quoted in the paper as being very surprised when BOB left; what less than a week after signing day. It was reported that BOB was one of the main reasons this young man wanted to come here. It was an unfortunate and to my mind amazing coincidence that BOB left so soon after signing day. Now IF BOB or anyone else at GTAA knew BOB was leaving before this kid signed, I would consider that in the very least to be deceitful and not the way we ought to recruit.

It was, not to my mind, an amazing coincidence Al Pena left after the spring practice session.

I'm the first one to say that I don't think some of the stuff posted on this board serves GT well at all. HOWEVER, message boards have a microscopic bearing, if they have ANY at all on recruiting. Look at Florida. Their fan base wanted to crucify Ron Zook and look what he did, he put together one of their best recruiting classes.

UGA was another school that would put awesome class after awesome class together right after a mediocre season and the fans arguing over Donnan. IT HAS NO EFFECT!!

You give WAY TOO much credibility to these boards. Furthermore, if a recruit is weak enough to base his decision on something said on a message board, then I don't want that kid coming to Tech. You don't base one of the biggest decisions on your life over what is said on a message board. That's just stupid as hell!

Originally posted by techfowl:
Just like the stock market - if the public believes in a stock, it will rise, whether it's profitable or not.

If the public thinks a stock is a dog - it drops, even if it's a profitable company.

Certain things in life really are a self fulfilling prophecy.

If I'm a prospective recruit, and I read some of this crap - even if I make an independent decision, it will affect my view of a program.

If I read fans that want to be behind me no matter what - I want to be at that school.

If you guys don't want Chan - put the venom and resources in the right places and the right context.

Guys, I love this program. I appreciate the people in it and I don't want people outside the program and it's fans to know anything negative about it - which is inevitable. I know some of you love the program too much NOT say something about what you think shouldn't be tolerated - and I respect that very much too.

Regardless of our approach, we all clearly have our opinions for the right reasons.

But could we need to at least censor ourselves a little more? Clearly we should all be entitled to our opinion - that's what this place is.

I would, though, ask myself this question before each post - - If I were an 18 yr old recruit, and I read this, how would it affect my opinion? Would it make me want to come to this place and help be a part of turning it around?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You can't really manufacture enthusiasm and confidence IMO. A recruit doesn't have to read this board to realize that our future is a little uncertain right now. All they need to do is pick up a paper, listen to the radio, or watch one of our games.

Think about how many of these guys are out of state.

The easiest thing to do is get on the net. A guy in Tx or Fl doesn't have an AJC at the bookstore or a lot of Tech radio hype.

Of course, to make a decision to go to a school is a lot more in depth - you guys both make good points, but I worry about that first impression. That has a lot to do with the gut feeling anybody gets.

We had that group of Roberson, Grant, (I think Scott and Pena), and some others last year as a first group. Reading between the lines, one guy basically said - you guys rock, so does this school, and if you do it, I do it. We had some solid guys with that group.

And then all of a sudden - before the FSU game - something fell off. Not a single big group like that that again. Maybe these boards had no bearing, but something got negative fast.

You guys are a bunch of bright guys - Maybe I'm the guy that's off - I just hate for any kid on the net to read some of what we are saying.

Does it make the decision, no - could it have bearing, I still think so.

Sorry about the dead horse - I can tell it's a sore subject.

IT HAS NO EFFECT!!

You give WAY TOO much credibility to these boards.

Amen

I actually give the boards plenty of credibility. Recruits nowdays have much greater access to information via computer than even a few years ago. I would think think that at least a few of them wouldn't try to gauge the support of the fan base by looking to the message boards, not all but enough of them. What would you do if you were a recruit in Nebraska or Florida or Ohio or any other state and being recruited by Georgia Tech? If the boards were overwhelmingly negative about the program, couldn't that push an undecided recruit in a different direction?

1960's-never trust anyone over 30

1990's and on-never trust anything you read on internet message boards.

forget our record, forget we got absolutely pounded by Ugag, forget we had flunkgate, forget that we got beat on national tv in front of 5 people in the stands to powerhouse Fresno State,forget we got beat on national tv by powerhouse BYU...maybe, if we're lucky, potential recruits won't see that. We need to focus on the where the recruiting trail REALLY matters...this message board.

Back