this is an interesting post (LINK)

Make sure you read Ahsoisee's response which IMO is the correct response.

I see where RR is coming from however I disagree with the generalizations.

After that Maryland game this year I believe everyone had to be a pessimist under RR's standard. But I believe the realistic view was "it is official we are underachievers." That was the statement I made that fateful night. I stick by it. If we win that game then things change for the entire ACC. FSU probably goes to the BCS. For some reason to me that was the worst loss. Maybe it was the 46 yd fg, or that fumble, or maybe seeing Fridge sing his fight song on our field. But I know one thing, after that loss I wanted O'leary to go.

Lawbee .. I agree with you... and in a way.. hate to admit this... I was so angry the night of the Maryland game that I couldnt even sleep... I wasnt angry because Joe ran out of bounds... would love to have him back.. and wasnt angry because he fumbled... I was angry because we were out coached... I was angry because the handwriting was on the wall... we had kept the inferior coach, and let the superior coach slip away... I was angry at Braine for not recognizing this and preventing it from happening... good post... and Ah did a super job with his post...

i think we all had that sinking feeling after the peach bowl. then clemson and maryland just solidified the deal. george oleary without the fridge is a 500 football coach maybe. i am glad he is gone, i wanted him gone before ND came calling. i am just giving my opinion and i have been wrong but, after all is said and done, i think we should have kept ted roof.

Of course hingsight is 20/20, but I think the one thing most fail to mention when they talk about the hole that left with Fridge (and I'm not talking about the donought hole!) is his LEADERSHIP. He was such a great leader that demanded nothing but the best of his players at all times. He was a great motivator and he was the only one who would stand up to O'Leary. Our offense was fine without Fridge, but our overall leadership suffered miserably! And leadership is KEY to winning on the college level and of course at any level.

I may be piling on to GOL with this, but someone above mentioned that he was a .500 coach without the Fridge...so I checked the number. I threw out the last 3 games of the 1994 season, since he inherited that bunch. Here it is:

1995 6-5
1996 5-6
2000 0-1 peach bowl
2001 7-5 left before the bowl

So, GOL's cumulative non-Fridge record is 18-17. A mediocre record if ever one existed.

I do want to thank GOL for raising the level of our recruiting though. That was his main contribution.

And like many, my heart sank after the Clemson game. I e-mailed a Gamecock friend of mine (he was mad as hell at us for losing). I told him that we were gonna be an 8-4 team after that game. I was wrong. We were a 7-5 team. Oh well. Maybe I'm an optimist.
grin.gif

All of you have excellent points. For me, the loss to Clemson was most frustrating. I could not sleep that night. I concluded from my period of insomnia that GoL had lost his edge with the team. During the course of the game, I observed GoL come over to the Defensive bench area ranting and raving at TR. IMO, it was at this point TR lost all credibility with the Defense because during the remainder of this game and the season there was a lack of emotion on Defense. To me, Defense is controlled agression. This is not pessismistic or optimistic but rather a statement of the facts I observed. I realize everyone sees things from different perspectives, but some of the posts today confirm the veracity of my observations.

Have enjoyed all the very excellent posts on this matter.

Oh yes, let's whip the Dookies.

drinking.gif
drinking.gif
drinking.gif
blue.gif
blue.gif

If one predicts, for instance, this yr. GT will go 8 and 4, and everyone says,"U r crazy! We have a great experienced team and will go at least 9 and 2!" If we end up 7 and 5, does that original pessimist predicting 8 and 4 end up an optimist? Everything is so relative that I do not know why RR wasted so much Hive space!

BTW, ahso, you are the man!
wiggle.gif

Back