This one is for you Beeware

kirbee

Jolly Good Fellow
For Georgia Tech, Little Interest In Seeing Storrs

No, Georgia Tech hasn't dropped down to Division II. It only seems that way.

For one day, at least, the Yellow Jackets (1-0) will get a taste of small-college football. Saturday, they'll travel to Connecticut, where an emerging Division I-A program is playing its final season at 16,200-seat - no, that's not a misprint - Memorial Stadium.

"I hear they use a high school stadium," defensive end Greg Gathers said Tuesday.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">

Well, before we start worrying about the size of our Goldmembers, lets remember that size doesn't always matter.

Below I-20, most people in the state respect the hell out of Ga Southern, and they play in a stadium seating 18K.

Originally posted by ramblinwise1:

Below I-20, most people in the state respect the hell out of Ga Southern, and they play in a stadium seating 18K.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I'm one of those who wish we were playing down there Saturday.

How did MTSU get out of the deal to play us? Could GT have enforced a contract? And who did UT drop to pick them up?

I predicted 52-13 on the UConn board and told them I wasn't flaming or fishing: Tech's just too good and too well-focused for them.

Originally posted by ramblinwise1:
Well, before we start worrying about the size of our Goldmembers, lets remember that size doesn't always matter.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">We shouldn't play @GSU either. That would be an entirely different Braine-dead decision than playing @Uconn High.
But it would have been better to play GSU in Atlanta than @Uconn High.

How do you figure that playing GSU is better than playing UCONN? In case you've forgotten, GSU is a 1-AA team, and obviously, after last week's loss at the hands of Andy Hall's Delaware Blue Hens, not exactly of the elite class they used to be. At least this game will count!

Any Div 1-A game is better than an AA game, even is the AA team is better. It's just the perception of the fanss and voters. And we couldn't have just let this week sit as an empty slot...we needed 12 games on our schedule to match the rest of the country.

I'm not sure how MTSU got out of the contract. It seems they signed 2 for the same day, and couldn't fulfill ours. I'm sure Tech got our money back.

Don't spend the money yet Culb! The AA found out about the switch by someone on staff scoping out the UT fan site; evidently MRSU didn't have either the courtesy or the cojones to ask/tell us about the change! Sure hope GTAA held them to the penalty provision but I doubt it.

drinking.gif

Originally posted by jacket1515:
How do you figure that playing GSU is better than playing UCONN? In case you've forgotten, GSU is a 1-AA team, and obviously, after last week's loss at the hands of Andy Hall's Delaware Blue Hens, not exactly of the elite class they used to be. At least this game will count!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I don't think we should play GSU....but what I said was if we had to make a choice....playing GSU in Atlanta is better than playing @Uconn High any day.
Playing @Uconn High was and is a Braine-dead decision.

bash.gif
bash.gif
bash.gif
bash.gif

....playing GSU in Atlanta is better than playing @Uconn High any day.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You never know beeware.

Once in a while you get shown the light
In the strangest of places if you look at it right

Right?
tongue.gif

I also don't like the idea of playing UConn up at UConn in their place but any 1A is better that a 1AA even if it would not draw the fan support that say GSU. Make the most of it and the way they played BC it may be more than we expect and hope GT brings it's game face. I expect a something like 47-7 and they get their 7 the same way Vandy got their 3.

Playing @Uconn or playing @GSU both would be Braine-dead decisions. But playing GSU in Atlanta would have been a much better alternative than playing @Uconn. We should not be playing @Uconn or @GSU under any circumstances.

puke.gif
on playing @Uconn High.

Originally posted by jacket1515:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">GSU is a special case... they are a state supported school, part of the University system... There would be tremendous interest in the game statewide... It would be competitive, especially if you played them at Statesboro. Remember that UGAg has played them 2x in Athens and last year didn't exactly manhandle them, 29-15 I believe (same margin they beat us
shocked.gif
). They may be down this year, but you can't count on that when you make a schedule in advance...

GSU has won 6 1-AA National Championships in less than 20 years of revived football. They SHOULD be playing Div 1 by now. It would give us better visibility in SE Ga at recruiting time.

Traveling half way across the continent to play UConn High is embarassing whereas going to Statesboro to whoop up on a loud mouthed little brother is something you ought to be prepared to do once in a while. If you ain't from Georgia then you won't understand.

Sure I'd rather play them at home and I believe they would have jumped at the chance to do that this year if they could have rejiggered their schedule, but I'd still rather play in Statesboro than in Storrs......

Back