Thoughts on Bilbo

Beesnut

Varsity Lurker
Quitzy's biggest problem was his attitude. Well that and drugs. Anyway by all accounts he would not practice hard and come game day he could not read a defense to save his life. Guess he thought athletic ability alone would do it.

If Donnan had pushed him he may have been a good QB but he already knew he wouldn't be the best in this state since Joe was at Tech!

Bilbo will be fine and under O'Brien and Gailey's tutelage he will become a good QB and more importantly a fine citizen. I look for him to become a Donovan McNabb type QB.

Axe, I will have to take your word for it, since I have seen him play only a couple of times in games last year.

I know you attend the practices and get a first hand look at him. Reading between the lines from the coaches and other write-ups about him, it appears he does have exceptional potential ability.

Since Hall, Logan, Landry, etal, were all good quarterbacks and Bilbo is in a virtual tie with Suggs, your assessment seems to have a lot of validity. Sounds good for his future.

bigthumbup.gif

Think what Quitsy could have been under Fridge... or would he have been run off by the Fridge for his attitude?

One never knows, but the potential of Bilbo seems at least that of Donnie Davis and Derrick Steagall...oops!

I bring those guys up because when they came into the flats they were gonna bee all-world at QB for Tech, but through little or no fault of their own they got caught up in coaching changes and injuries and never realized their potential. I really felt bad for those guys. BTW - didja realize that Donnie Davis is #8 on all purpose yards for Tech? What could he have done if he had decent coaching and better surrounding cast?

That said, I don't doubt Bilbo's potential at all, I just hope he has the opportunity to live up to it.
drinking.gif

I think when Bilbo comes in this year for a change of pace (more option and rollout type stuff), the defenses are gonna crap in their pants.

I like Suggs and Bilbo. Between those 2 guys, we're gonna give defenses fits.

The key to the Friedgen/O'Brien offense is not the option per se....it is the threat of the option. It is the threat that we might run it on any play... with any personnel in the game...at any situation in the game. The fact that we might run it is all it takes to keep the defense back on their heels. Does anyone remember the FSU game back in '99 when we ran the triple option with Dez in the backfield and he ended up getting covered by a linebacker and Hamilton hit him for an 80 yard score...Bobby Bowden almost had a heart attack on that play.
Last year, we did not have this threat because Godsey was playing on one leg. This year we will have it big time whether Suggs or Bilbo is in the game. Make no mistake about it...Suggs can and WILL run the option very effectively.

Nice post Beeware. Totally agree. A lot of last years offense was designed to try to keep Godsey healthy too IMO. Think that had a lot to do with the play calling. Can completely understand why too if that was the case.

You make an excellent point. Defenses are going to have to prepare for the option and be ready for it at any time. Doesn't matter if it's Suggs or Bilbo in the game. Suggs can get out of pocket very well. He'll shock a lot of people with his quickness for a big guy. I don't know as though I've seen anyone the size of Bilbo run like he does. Was watching deer the other evening hoping over a fence into pasture next door. They are so agile, quick, and fast. That's Bilbo. He's going to be seriously dangerous when people lose contain on him.

I, too, am carefully very optimistic about Bilbo. I think decision making is a huge matter. I absolutely love O'Brien. I am proud to have his as our OC. My only question mark (at all) is his ability to develop a QB. I am eager to see what he does with his current talent. If he succeeds, Bilbo (and Tech) are looking at team and individual success.

Given that almost anyone playing quarterback in 1-A has at least some measure of physical talent, the critical factor comes down to making the right decision and executing it with confidence.

If you look at Ralph Friedgen's qbs, from Gelbaugh to Reich to Boomer to Shawn Jones to Hamilton to Godsey, they were all groomed to make great decisions. Ralph took kids with smarts, good character, work ethic, and talent and made them winners.

I can't wait to see what O'Brien and co. are able to do.

"Quitzy's biggest problem was his attitude. Well that and drugs."

Do we know this for sure about dope?

excellent point beeware (wow, did I just say that?
wink.gif
). I think that what hurt GT's running game the most was that w/out the threat of the option, the linebackers could shift towards the line and not have to be too concerned w/the runs to the outside of the tackle. If opposing defenses have to at least respect the option ability (which they will w/either QB), then we certainly will have the defense playing on their heels somewhat. This should definitely take some pressure off of the o-line as well as help the running backs if they are not counted on to simply pound it between the tackles (like most of our running plays last year).

bellyseries, regarding Quitsy, I think that somethings are better left unsaid. He is gone, NEVER beat us
bigthumbup.gif
and did not do anything at Ugag other than the LSU game his freshman year.

I am pumped to see the option attack return. I love watching us line up in the broken T and either running or using a fake and throwing deep like beeware mentioned w/Dez White above.

Bilbo is very athletic and has good size, but Suggs was alot more impressive in the T-Day spring game last April 20th at Marist H.S. Suggs' performance definitely won the starting QB job that day IMHO.
drinking.gif

Ralph spoke for a Boy Scout fundraising banquet a couple of years ago and addressed the Quitzy-Joe H. issue ; says he told Q. that the best man would play, JH did not have a lock on it but Q. never really tried to come back to the Mother Hive. Ralph told about Q and JH before the coin toss to start overtime; JH looked up at Q and said"it's nuthin' to nuthin' Q, let's get it on!!"
drinking.gif
sniper.gif

bellyseries...

from every UGA booster and alum I have spoken too that seems to be the case. QC and Sanks were roommates and both were reportedly heavily into drug use.

Makes one wonder if he really injured his thumb or burned it on a crack pipe.

Before I begin, I want to say that Damarius Bilbo is a RS-Freshman and still has a long way to go before he really picks up this offense. In addition, he will likely be our #2 QB this year and play in spots behind Suggs. Playing QB takes more than just physical talent.

That being said, I just can't tell you how much I think of this kid's ability. I know it's a bold statement but he might be the most talented player for his position I've seen at GT since the mid-80s. Obviously, he has great running ability and arm strength but he also has very natural mechanics. He snaps the ball off from his ear and just seems to have QB instincts. Another bold statement: I believe if he continues to progress he will be a 1ST ROUND pick.

Once again, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying he will tear it up this year, but I don't think I've ever been this excited about the POTENTIAL of a GT player before.

Agree, disagree?

I think that it is a matter of time...that is once Bilbo gets the offense down, look out; he and the GT offense are gonna be tough to stop. A friend watched him throw the ball about 40 yds. from his knees last year. Incredible arm strength; fast runner. His run during the spring game when he bowled over Hester was a "nice flash" of what he can potentially do once a play breaks down. We should be a force running the option w/him.

My only reservation is that what if he does not get the offense down? He seems like a bright kid, but others w/similar physical gifts could not direct an offense. Qunicy Carter comes to mind; saw him play in HS and thought, Holy Cow! However, he could never really direct an offense in college save one or two games during his career.

This may sound outlandish to some, but I really think that the combo of Suggs/Bilbo is just as good as Greene/Shockley. Time will tell...

I'll take the Suggs/Bilbo combination any day!!!

We've watched these two guys work in spring with this offensive unit. It's one thing in spring especially when its new coaches other than Coach O'B, but it's crunch time now. The player and coaches know each other. They are preparing to get it on with Vandy. There will be a much more serious and urgent approach to practice. The qb's will progress more in fall two-a-days than they did in spring. That goes for the entire team.

Suggs and Bilbo have both shown ability to pick up things. Could see it in spring as they improved as practice went along.

Believe both these guys are extremely gifted with physical ability, smarts, and ability to lead. Being a QB at GT is more than being a great athlete. Can see both these guys are smart and leaders which is very important.

Who are the qbs at that other school in this state? I haven't heard who is qb at GA Southern. OH, wait! Forgot, there is even another GA school. Well, who cares who plays qb over there anyway.
wink.gif

Suggs clearly has a better handle on the offense and for that reason he should be the starter and take the majority of the snaps. I think Bilbo still has a ways to go before he is ready to be the guy. The primary point of my post was Bilbo's physical tools are really top notch, he has 1st round ability. Now he must put all the pieces together. That won't be easy.

I saw a comparison to Donnie Davis and Derrick Stegall above. I don't think that is a good comparison. Davis and Stegall were hyped in recruiting. Bilbo was kind of a quiet recruit. The Bilbo hype began when he got on campus and we saw his tools. Davis was talented but he only had average arm strength. In addition, he is not nearly as fast or fluid as Bilbo is.

EXPERIENCE is the main factor for Mr. Suggs. I expect Mr. Bilbo to gain valuable pt this year and his time in the spotlight should be 2003. IMHO this is a great position for GT because as b-ware suggested the threat of the option will force D's to play less in the box.
Beeware great post as well as all sting talkers.
cool.gif

YELLOW JACKETS

Back