Throwing bottles, and locker room thefts

71YellowJacket

Damn Good Rat
This is a copy of a response I made on the Hive to a well meaning Georgia grad who read the AJC article today and said, "It happens everywhere. Someone tossed a whiskey bottle from the upper deck of Sanford Stadium in 1992 that hit me on the bill of my cap after losing to Tennessee (I am a Georgia alumnus and fan, you know). People can be idiots. That's no reflection on Tech."

Unfortunately, we are all judged by the company we keep. Athletes who break the law and get a pass, fans who throw bottles from the stands, all reflect poorly on their school, fellow students, and alumni.

I have personally seen how a school's reputation (or lack of) has hurt potential job applicants from that school. Like it or not, when your away from home, pursuing your career in other regions of the world and your resume surfaces for consideration, you can be hurt by things that aren’t on the resume. Those involved the hiring decision may not know much about your school but if they have read about post-game student riots,drugs,theft,and rape among star players who somehow still play on, you have been affected.

Through most of Tech's history its athletics and students have lived up to a high standard that reflects well on themselves and the rest of us.

Having a bottle thrown from the stands, and visiting players personal possessions stolen from the locker room is national news this morning and is a big step in the wrong direction.

Back