Thursday Practice Report..

jacketguy

Damn Good Rat
Naturally I will try to stay in bounds here.. but I gotta say.. we have some really good looking Freshmen.. the guys who stood out to me today include..

Newberry.. He is going to be a great one for Tech.. did really well in some of the pass rushing drills.. has quick feet and a low center of gravity.. he is quick !! Give this guy a couple of years to work on upper body strength and you are going to have an NFL calibre guy.. he looked that good... everyone standing around me seemed to be amazed that this kid was performing to the level he was..

Woods ... looks really good in the backfield.. I know its only the first day of full contact practice, and there is alot of football to be played between now and the end of camp, but we may have found another "Hollings Surprise" .. he saw the field well.. hit holes in a flash.. and did extremely well after he made it into the secondary... very tough to get your hands on.. this is one elusive guy.. not only in scrimmages but also in the tackling drills etc.. he just moves.

Ball.. in my opinion, he looked better than any QB out there today.. he just looks comfortable playing the position. Had some very good passes.. and one really great run where he turned a busted play into a TD (this was during the red zone practice) .. Ball also threw a beautiful TD pass (I couldnt see who caught it).. but it was perfect.. and the catch was beauty to see as well.. it reminded me of Hamilton to White ...Suggs, Bilbo, and Carter each had their moments too, but Ball just seemed to have the most composure, the best looking passes, and the ability to see the field.. and again, I know its early, but his decision making during plays seemed ahead of the other three... he had a great practice today..

Tugboat made a pretty interception and returned it for a TD... did a good job of high stepping into the end zone too I might add... I think Carter threw it..

Scott and Grant can move.. very quick..

ACE had some good runs, but needs to solve the fumble problem... he holds the ball too far away from his body at times..

Both Burnett and Jordan did a good job kicking, but Jordan did have one blocked.. took a little too much time on that one..

I liked the speed and quickness on the defense.. and we have LB's that love to hit..

Naturally the defense is ahead of the offense .. receivers had trouble catching some balls, and QB's had trouble getting to them at times..but all in all, it was a good looking practice..

THANK YOU Jacketguy!!!

Now I can go to sleep.

Love this quote from Ball

Gailey hopes to announce his starting quarterback at least a week before the season opener, and Ball says there's a good chance he'll be that guy.

"Oh, yeah," he said. "That's the plan."

Focus and play hard and he could earn 4 years as starter.

Super job.Keep that info flowing.Those of us outtatown appreciate it.

Gnome, both Wrotto and Newberry are over 300 pounds, but Newberry packs his on a 6' 1" frame. He's a weightlifter and wrestler, and given that build, should have a low center of gravity and a lot of lower body strength. Of course I haven't seen the guy play a down, but he sure sounds like someone we can use in the interior of the line.

Back