Tiger Taters

bellyseries

Dodd-Like
I notice that on the South Carolina board
Gamecock Central
they call Clemson folks "taters", apparently because of the Humanitarian Bowl. It's a pretty good board (many interesting fonts) and of course carries a lot of Clemson news.

Here's a shot of a tater.

In Idaho

Originally posted by bellyseries:
I notice that on the South Carolina board
Gamecock Central
they call Clemson folks "taters", apparently because of the Humanitarian Bowl. It's a pretty good board (many interesting fonts) and of course carries a lot of Clemson news.

Here's a shot of a tater.

In Idaho
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Belly,
They've been called Taters for a long time on them Carolina boards. Also, on Tater boards, they call USC folks "coots". "Taters" vs. "Coots". That rivalry is humorous to say the least...at least from a cyberfan standpoint.

Actually, the Tater nickname has been around a lot longer than the Humanitarian Bowl. I don't pretend to know the true genesis of the name, but I surmise that it has something to do with the country bumpkin image of the Clemson fan versus the more cosmopolitan image of the average Gamecock fan.

Having lived in the Palmetto State for 9 years, my own experience is that neither image appears to be very accurate!

I have grown to enjoy this rivalry, especially as USC has become more competitive the last few years with Holtz. Both fan bases are pretty strong, but I don't think you can top Gamecock nation for loyalty. I have been to a few games over the past few years, and nothing strikes me as much as seeing over 80,000 screaming garnet and black clad fans in the stadium cheering their team while it was in the middle of an 0 for 21 streak. For atmosphere, give me BDS@HGF anytime, but for fan loyalty, Williams Brice is pretty strong. I have yet to see a sea of garnet or black leaving one of these games, regardless of outcome, which is quite contrary to our in-state rival!

GO JACKETS!!

thanks for the info, guys. I obviously didn't know that about the "tater" nickname, though I've lived in SC myself.

The Carolina radio guy who retired a few years ago, Bob something, was one of the best play-by-play guys I ever heard.

Originally posted by Aiken Jacket:
Actually, the Tater nickname has been around a lot longer than the Humanitarian Bowl. I don't pretend to know the true genesis of the name, but I surmise that it has something to do with the country bumpkin image of the Clemson fan versus the more cosmopolitan image of the average Gamecock fan.

Having lived in the Palmetto State for 9 years, my own experience is that neither image appears to be very accurate!

I have grown to enjoy this rivalry, especially as USC has become more competitive the last few years with Holtz. Both fan bases are pretty strong, but I don't think you can top Gamecock nation for loyalty. I have been to a few games over the past few years, and nothing strikes me as much as seeing over 80,000 screaming garnet and black clad fans in the stadium cheering their team while it was in the middle of an 0 for 21 streak. For atmosphere, give me BDS@HGF anytime, but for fan loyalty, Williams Brice is pretty strong. I have yet to see a sea of garnet or black leaving one of these games, regardless of outcome, which is quite contrary to our in-state rival!

GO JACKETS!!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Yes, the cocks have a loyal fan base. It has become somewhat mythical though over the last few years. I know that they didn't sell out all the time during their 1-21 streak (at least as far as actual fans in seats). And I know I've seen some TV blowouts where they started leaving early.

I'll agree that, in general, fans in that state are good football fans. And I'll give USC an "A+" in supporting their team. But Clemson has some good fans too. That place can really get loud.

Back