Time to develop a plan for success in 2003

Jerry the Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Well I have had a couple of days to vent my feelings. That along with the many well thought out and caring responses of many of my fellow Tech faithful have been very theraputic over that time.

Now it's time to figure out how can we make chicken salad out of chicken stuff. Anybody worth their salt knows when you get knocked on your arse you have to get back up and battle on or the buzzards will pick you clean.

So I thought we should take a look at reality. Number 1, more than likely Coach Gailey is not going to be fired, so we need to support him to the extent your soul will allow. A couple of strong recommendations to Chan:

1) Get out of the bunker. Get a PR person and learn how to interact with the media and the fanbase. You are not going to succeed otherwise.
2) Talk about how you plan to address these losses of personnel. Articulate a definitive plan. Heck I will even help you here.
3) Play every freshman capable of making any possible contribution. As the season wears on, we will need bodies, get them as much experience as possible as the season goes along.

Let's take a look at our losses:

1) Tony Hollings - he may or may not have come back at full strength. Odds are he would not have. The extra year of strength and conditioning could be a benefit. If we can encourage him to get back in school, this may turn out to be a good thing for him and Tech.

2) Michael Sampson - looked like he was progressing in spring but as a point of fact we do not know how good a player he could have been. He was at least another body. With losses here we need to look at other personnel to shift to running back ala Hollings last year. Dwan Landry a former running QB and Rueben Houston a former star RB at Stars Mill should be evaluated during the offseason. There may be others.

3) Tony Hargrove - the biggest loss in my opinion. Tony was a mean SOB that played tough. You don't replace his attitude. However, if Gathers comes back anywhere near his old self, it will to some degree offset the loss of TH. Eric Henderson and Gathers could make a great set of DE's.

4) Kingi McNair - got some praise in Spring. I went to the spring game and to be honest he really did not stand out to me. I think he had some talent but we really don't know if he could have been a player or not. Hopefully he can get back in and prove something down the road. The good news here is we have a lot of quality LB's on the roster.

5) Anthony Lawston - a perennial back up, AL never really stepped up to match his billing. He was a career backup at a position we have some depth at so his loss is not as critical as some others.

6) Zeb McHarque - never played a down. Quitting this early tells you a lot here. Probably did not have the grit to play at this level. While I wish him well and wish he could have been successful, practically speaking this just opens up another slot for an OL. Maybe the transfer from Morris Brown will pick up the slack.

7), 8) 9) and 10) We do not know the names but we have some rumors and I will make some assumptions here not to attempt to discredit or hurt these individuals but merely to continue my what if scenario.

Sterling Greene - has played all of one or two games. Apparently has some talent but how can you miss what you never had. Again added depth at an already deep LB position.

LaKeldrick Bridges - lots of speed but suspect hands. Who knows how good he could have been this year. A speed merchant, we lose an option to go long. We need to look at Davis and IP Harris with their speed to see if they could bring that element to this position.

Reggie Koon - a big guy, perennially out of shape, limited contributor. Even if he is not one of the 10, he needs to get in shape if he wants to play D1 football.

Alfred Malone - another potential key loss. While not a superstar, Malone had a lot of experience and played decent. We will miss him if indeed he is one of the 10. We have some beef coming in Newberry and Wrotto plus it's time for some of our career back ups to step up. DL was a weak point last year and many years prior. Hopefully the coaching staff views development here as a key point of emphasis and the guys work their tails off this summer.

So in summary, I think we can weather this blow. We need to get healthy and stay healthy and somebody better be on top of our summer strength and conditioning program big time.

We will need to develop an attitude like the Third Infantry Division rolling into downtown Baghdad. Take no prisoners. And Chan needs to take his cue from Colonel David Perkins, commander of the tank division that took that first ride into downtown Baghdad. Show some balls and some leadership!

To Hell with Georgia!

Go Jackets!

Excellent post, Jerry. I agree with you right down the line. Hargrove does look to be the biggest loss right now. As others have mentioned, this whole thing might work for the best for Hollings.

Great post. I also agree with everything. In the end I think conditioning and injuries will determine how things turn out. We won't be as deep at some positions and so the injury bug could sink us. Also, totally agree that Gailey has to do a better job of being out front and handling his media & fan perception. Otherwise it may not matter what kind of plans or record he has.

Overall I'm still excited about the upcoming season and look forward to the remaining players stepping up to fill the void. I see some chances for success (this year now) out of the incoming class.

Good Post. Panic is what I see from a lot of posters. I don't think this setback is as grave as most think.Wide reciever,Running back and Defensive line is where we will hurt most.Recievers coming back, McGuire,Curry,Smith and Thomas. Will need Dunlap,maybe Davis and one of the incoming QB,s as backup's. RB's coming back, Daniels,Eziemefe,Hatch and Dixon.Will need Grant to step up.I think Hollings rehabs his knee the rest of the year and goes pro next year. DT's coming back, Parker, Billy,Brezina, Lee,Pullen with freshman Wrotto and Newberry. DE's Gathers, Henderson, C Willams and D Willams with Freshman Oliver and Anoa.

Good post. Agree 100% on Tony Hollings. If he decides to stay at TECH having the extra time off will be a positive. I, like many others, had been thinking he might be coming back too soon. (Curry, Hatch).

Gathers, Henderson, Pullen, a couple of incoming Frosh and we may not miss Hargrove so bad. Tony is a monster but I don't see him as being irreplaceable at all.

Let's not forget Xavier McDaniel at WR.

The shortages will put a little more pressure on the freshman to step up but that's what they're looking for if they're worth their salt.

I think our main concern is still at QB.

Digbee, you may be right, but I seriously doubt Hollings would be in demand for the pros.

They tend to push those players much further back in the draft when selection time comes. They are afraid to take a chance many times on that type of player. Not only that, but Hollings has only four games of experience.

I can't see the pros giving him any serious consideration without
wink.gif
watching him play in college some more.

Just my guess.

Jerry, one thing all can agree on - pro-Chan, anti-Chan, that Carol Moore and some of these pointy headed types need to be run out of town.

Gailey needs to be held accountable for better or worse as does Braine, as long as they have some lunatics running around drumming out athletes they will have an excuse.

No tactical plan on the field can overcome the lack of players.

Back