To Surprise People With A Winning Season, BYU Is A Must Win**

You know, BYU is one of the teams that on paper you would think we can beat and getting off to a good start may be important for this team mentally, but let's not start the must win stuff yet okay? It is possible to lose your opener and still have a decent year. Check UVa if you don't believe me.

In our case I think the first game is extremely important unless you are willing to mark this year off as a rebuilding period. We lose to BYU, you are looking at 0 -3, that means to win 7 we would have to go 7 - 2 the rest of the way. Pretty steep order. Again, I'm talking about a winning season, we could start 0 - 3 and still go 5 - 7 and look forward to 2004 but if we want this year to be decent, then I think BYU is a must.

Just my opinion.
South Georgia Jacket

It's realistic that we could lose to BYU and beat Albarn. Coaches say a team improves the most between it's first game and second one. A loss to BYU will set the stage for Albarn to come in here looking past a team that's gonna surprise some people.

A win against BYU would be a very positive thing, but a loss is not a disaster. In fact, I would prefer to lose to BY and win against Awburn than vice-versa....

Oh good grief, BeeBad, nobody wants to lose. The point Cracker is making is that we need to start playing well first. The wins will take care of themselves if we get some kind of offense going and our defense can get off the field. If we play well at BYU and lose I won't be happy but at least we will be heading in the right direction. If we come out of that game with something to build on, especially offensively it will be big.

Now, I do expect us to beat BYU. But I'm not ready to stop the season if we should lose.

Too many fans watch college football and critique the teams and games the same as they would an NFL game... beeSAD you are guilty of this now... Rebuilding in college football is part of the challenge... you see BeeBland... there's this thing in college called matriculation... no that's not mastication... mastication is what Beeware continually does with the same tired subjects... Matriculation is what all college students are attempting to do... pass classes, graduate and move on... so as you obviously don't understand, rebuilding occurs every season in the college game...

Anyone who expects to win all games in college is misguided and will never be happy.... the college game is about building programs that can compete year in and year out... if your down one year it may not be because the program sucks but instead because of many factors including youth, injuries, inexperience, maturity in both real life and game time... etc...
I for one agree with Cracker Jacket... wins are great but I'm really looking forward to seeing a team learn week to week and begin building a program again under the new direction of Coach Gailey... Last year was a disaster for those of us that had become accustomed to seeing strong performances week in and week out under the O'Leary regime... lets hope that Coach Gailey learns from his mistakes of a year ago and has matured in his command of a Division I program...

Meanwhile lets not underestimate BYU... many on this board last season thought that Fresno State was a pansy and as I predicted Fresno State was big, mean and nasty enough to put the hurt on our guys and beat our team to a proverbial pulp on national TV...
BYU will be very tough, Auburn will be even tougher, and the 2 weeks after that won't be any cake walk...
I suspect it's going to be a long, rough season for those of us in Gold and White... Still I expect the team to learn week to week and by seasons end to give us all hope for the future of this program...

TO HELL WITH GEORGIA...

Beebad,

I'll curse and yell and throw things same as always
when we lose.

But then I'll calm down and analyze things from a
less emotional perspective.

We're not going to be able to analyze this coming
season just on wins and losses alone. We're going to
have to look at effort and gameplan and etc.

If we lose 23-20 to Auburn on a last second FG
I'll be upset but I'll be damn proud of our boys
for getting out there and hitting them in the
mouth.

Originally posted by BeeBad:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by CrackerJacket:
Its important to win all the "close ones" this
year and I think BYU will be one of those.

Ultimately, however, I'll be more concerned about
seeing a coherent offensive strategy and good effort
and fight from the players.

We could lose a close game but still play well.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Oh good grief, Cracker... you sound like a "good loser"...</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">

You are correct in that every college team "rebuilds" every year. The difference is the ones that do it and continue to win. Ga. Tech is one of those at that level. This program is past the "we need to play hard stage," and frankly it is embarrassing for our fans to even measure success in those terms. I expect seven wins this season and I see no reason why we will not get there. Chan Gailey did not take this job to rebuild a program and I think he would be insulted if we finish 4-8 and you told him we had a successful season because we played hard and competed and improved every week. Expect to win and accept nothing less.

Originally posted by CrackerJacket:
Beebad,

I'll curse and yell and throw things same as always
when we lose.

But then I'll calm down and analyze things from a
less emotional perspective.

We're not going to be able to analyze this coming
season just on wins and losses alone. We're going to
have to look at effort and gameplan and etc.

If we lose 23-20 to Auburn on a last second FG
I'll be upset but I'll be damn proud of our boys
for getting out there and hitting them in the
mouth.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by BeeBad:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by CrackerJacket:

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Oh good grief, Cracker... you sound like a "good loser"...</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif"></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Fair enough...

We have more talent than BYU so it is important that the coaching staff right this ship & get it headed in the right direction... The entire season could ride on this game... There also could be careers on the line...

I hate the word, "rebuilding".. means you have accepted defeat for supposed rosy happenings in the future that may or may not come to fruition... No time like the present.. show me a good loser & I will show you a loser... Bullcrap on rebuilding, go out and win games.....

Originally posted by CrackerJacket:

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Oh good grief, Cracker... you sound like a "good loser"...

Originally posted by casbah62:
Too many fans watch college football and critique the teams and games the same as they would an NFL game... beeSAD you are guilty of this now... Rebuilding in college football is part of the challenge... you see BeeBland... there's this thing in college called matriculation... no that's not mastication... mastication is what Beeware continually does with the same tired subjects... Matriculation is what all college students are attempting to do... pass classes, graduate and move on... so as you obviously don't understand, rebuilding occurs every season in the college game...

Anyone who expects to win all games in college is misguided and will never be happy.... the college game is about building programs that can compete year in and year out... if your down one year it may not be because the program sucks but instead because of many factors including youth, injuries, inexperience, maturity in both real life and game time... etc...
I for one agree with Cracker Jacket... wins are great but I'm really looking forward to seeing a team learn week to week and begin building a program again under the new direction of Coach Gailey... Last year was a disaster for those of us that had become accustomed to seeing strong performances week in and week out under the O'Leary regime... lets hope that Coach Gailey learns from his mistakes of a year ago and has matured in his command of a Division I program...

Meanwhile lets not underestimate BYU... many on this board last season thought that Fresno State was a pansy and as I predicted Fresno State was big, mean and nasty enough to put the hurt on our guys and beat our team to a proverbial pulp on national TV...
BYU will be very tough, Auburn will be even tougher, and the 2 weeks after that won't be any cake walk...
I suspect it's going to be a long, rough season for those of us in Gold and White... Still I expect the team to learn week to week and by seasons end to give us all hope for the future of this program...

TO HELL WITH GEORGIA...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Are you kidding about Fresno State? They were barely a Div I team in that game with the loss of 6 starters (they didnt have any depth at Fresno) I thought we would lose based on the last 4 games. With that said, we still have the talent to win 6 games. This stuff about close games and a loss is not acceptable to Gailey or the fans. We are favored right now for a reason, just like the Silicon Bowl. We have better talent (even with the losses to academics). If we lose, does that mean the season is over? No. But the Auburn game to me is the key. There is no reason to lose to BYU with the talent we still have. If we do, then the coaching staff had better have some answers going into the Auburn game. That's the game that you can at least say if we play well and still lose it may help. But not the BYU game. Fresno was not mean and nasty. We were out in California, playing golf. We were done. THis is a new season and they better show it or Gailey will be in for a tough road with the press and the fans. The BYU game is really Gailey's beginning as truly our coach. He has the structure in place the way he wants it as far as organization. Now he will truly be graded. Wins absolutely are the bottomline. 3 wont cut it. 6 will. We have the talent. Its his job to get it to produce wins. That is his expectation. And that is ours. No honeymoon after this year. Starts with a win vs. BYU and a good game vs. a strong Auburn team.

Gnome, we should have beaten Fresno, no argument there. And I think we were on our way until the turnover parage started. To me it was the Peach Bowl all over. We were ahead and driving for another score when Ace fumbled. Just like Hatch in the PB. It was all downhill from there. No excuse, but there it is. You can pick out about 5 plays from there that made the difference.

I would argue with you about Fresno though. They do have a good team and even with losing 6 players they dominated us on the line of scrimmage. There O-Line in particular was very big and pretty nasty. Our problem was we didn't score enough.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
Gnome, we should have beaten Fresno, no argument there. And I think we were on our way until the turnover parage started. To me it was the Peach Bowl all over. We were ahead and driving for another score when Ace fumbled. Just like Hatch in the PB. It was all downhill from there. No excuse, but there it is. You can pick out about 5 plays from there that made the difference.

I would argue with you about Fresno though. They do have a good team and even with losing 6 players they dominated us on the line of scrimmage. There O-Line in particular was very big and pretty nasty. Our problem was we didn't score enough.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">LSU was 10x better than Fresno when we played them and so where we when we played LSU. You can usually pick out 5 or 6 plays in any given game so that's not a point to consider. What I am saying going into the BYU game is, we still have enough talent to win the game- and I dont care if we win 3-0- I believe we should win. If we dont, and Auburn game is a good one, then the jury is out. But If we lose to BYU (bad loss or close loss) and then lose to Auburn, I would be worried that the tables could turn over quickly. Somebody needs to step up and be a leader for this team because we had none last year. I dont care if its a freshman. you need leaders on the field to get through tough situations. If the first 2 games are tough, the leaders on the field need to hold it together. Last year is last year, but those 2 games will still be on everyone's mind when watching these first 2 games and how the team reacts. I look forward to a real team in these 2 games especially.

&lt;I dont care if we win 3-0&gt;

I Don't see BYU getting shut out. They have scored in something like 320 consecutive games. Last time they were shut out was like 1976 or something....

I disagree, hope we win but this game is not a season maker or breaker.
drinking.gif

Gnome can't argue with your take on our first two games. Like I said, I think we should beat BYU. I also don't care about the score, although I would like to see our D hold them down. And I do believe we can beat Auburn if we play well. You are right that a lot of people are very skeptical of us and how we play in those first two games will set the stage.

Back