Tobias Oliver to WR - PER AJC REPORT

GTFLETCH

Dodd-Like
From the Article:

Graham’s play has apparently earned him the No. 1 quarterback spot. The season-ending injury to wide receiver Jalen Camp and the desire for coaches to get Oliver onto the field has routed him to receiver, where position coach Kerry Dixon has been happy to receive him.

“He’s one of the best natural athletes I’ve ever been around,” Dixon said Monday on coach Geoff Collins’ radio show. “Extremely competitive.”

“You’ll see him doing different things for us,” Collins said. “Don’t want to give too much away, but we’re being creative just like we always are and being innovative, and when you have someone like that with his skillset, (we’re) trying to make sure we showcase that for himself and for the betterment of the team, too.”

“I guess it feels good to know where I’m at right now, but we’ve had several guys all over the team that are playing multiple positions, so it’s not like it’s uncommon that I’m playing a different position,” Oliver said Wednesday following practice.

“Every receiver has their own way of getting separation, so it’s just finding what I want to do and perfecting it,” Oliver said.

“I’m enjoying the process,” Oliver said. “There comes a rough patch when there’s transition from position to position, but I have pretty good coaches around me that have been in the same position, so it’s not as bad.”

Link
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/tobias-oliver-switch-wide-receiver/Zjdkk19XW4GnwSkjOpCVhO/

Longestdays

Flats Noob
I loved the VPI game of 2018... excited to see what he can do as a full time receiver. That creative stuff has me worried. I sure hope we don't start drawing up plays on the football.

GT18YJjr.

Dodd-Like
Probably going to use him in a wildcat role on occasion similar to how the falcons use sanu.

if he is a full time wideout, I’m curious if this means that Lucas is healthy and Yates is now game ready or the coaches have settled on Graham being the full time starter, so no more qb rotation.

GTFLETCH

Dodd-Like
I wonder why the coaches didn't make this switch sooner. (like fall camp) Was/is Tobias thinking of transfer like Parker Braun? Or did the Coaching staff just completely miss handle the QB transition?

Last edited:

User 10337

I wonder why the coaches didn't make this switch sooner. (like fall camp) Was/is Tobias thinking of transfer like Parker Braun? Or did the Coaching staff just completely miss handle the QB transition?
Players separate themselves with more reps. JG was also hurt at times earlier in the season.
I had a couple seasons where I broke out from incremental development to extreme development after a couple games/midway thru the season. I can see that happening here. Just look at how much the fundamentals have progressed at each position.

Also, OL getting better will help the QBs develop.

Tampa Jacket

Helluva Engineer
TO is a big time player. Great to see him transition to a role that gives him the best chance to help the team.

CoachTech

Flats Noob
From the Article:

Graham’s play has apparently earned him the No. 1 quarterback spot. The season-ending injury to wide receiver Jalen Camp and the desire for coaches to get Oliver onto the field has routed him to receiver, where position coach Kerry Dixon has been happy to receive him.

“He’s one of the best natural athletes I’ve ever been around,” Dixon said Monday on coach Geoff Collins’ radio show. “Extremely competitive.”

“You’ll see him doing different things for us,” Collins said. “Don’t want to give too much away, but we’re being creative just like we always are and being innovative, and when you have someone like that with his skillset, (we’re) trying to make sure we showcase that for himself and for the betterment of the team, too.”

“I guess it feels good to know where I’m at right now, but we’ve had several guys all over the team that are playing multiple positions, so it’s not like it’s uncommon that I’m playing a different position,” Oliver said Wednesday following practice.

“Every receiver has their own way of getting separation, so it’s just finding what I want to do and perfecting it,” Oliver said.

“I’m enjoying the process,” Oliver said. “There comes a rough patch when there’s transition from position to position, but I have pretty good coaches around me that have been in the same position, so it’s not as bad.”

Link
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/tobias-oliver-switch-wide-receiver/Zjdkk19XW4GnwSkjOpCVhO/
The AJC must have listened to the GT60. There was a 5 minute segment of Dixon talking about him transitioning to WR.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
I hope the specialty package is TO taking snaps from under center for short yardage situations.

Walton

Damn Good Rat
Member when the sky was falling when Collins said QBs are like safeties?
Yes that was very overwrought and then you had someone going crazy when Oliver got like 3 Wildcat snaps against UNC but I do blame Collins slightly. I thought he could have modified the answer slightly: say something like if we had a Joe Ham then of course he would get most of the snap.

I think he was trying to be fair to all 3 QBs and give them a fair shot at the job so I think he was worried about them thinking he was playing favorites. With QB, you have to worry about other players having a favorite and if they think their "boy" doesn't get a fair shot, then it can lead to morale issues. Graham needed to prove himself to the players because the other 2 guys had been around longer and Oliver had "bled" on the field with the other players.

Walton

Damn Good Rat
Smart move. I expect he will be the backup QB also. It will be interesting to see if he is ATL at both positions.

jacket67

Dodd-Like
The remaining question is: Who's the backup QB? I guess LJ and then Yates. I would not expect TO to be the backup if he's in the WR rotation.

ramblinwise1

beware the zealot
Good news all around. Put TO out there stacked behind a blocking WR and let him do some magic on quick passes.