Too good of a conference?

GTFish

Varsity Lurker
Im just asking here, I have yet to form an opinion. Do you think if we expand to 14 teams that the football competition would be too hard? I mean taking from this years rankings etc, the ACC would have in the top 25 -Miami, FSU, UVA, NCSU, MD, VT, and maybe 1 more depending on what other team they would get. I can see only these teams getting bowl games cause we could only have so many. I understand teams like Tech go up and down regarding success, but does this hurt us in the long run? Maybe help us with recruiting? Any thoughts?

GTFish, I have observed over the years, you are as good as your competition, as long as the school puts in the effort to support the given sport.

If we find we can compete well academically with an expanded national effort, we may surprise ourselves.

It appears, Gailey and the staff found a few gems last year outside the State, and it appears we are faring well in early recruiting and interest level of the athletes.

Perhaps so. I am willing to give it a shot.

ahsoisee, ok new question. How do you think a teams bad season effects the decision of a recruit? Do they see a bad record and say 'that school is going downhill and wont get me anywhere' or do they say 'they struggled this year so I might have a better shot at playing early' ? Or does all this just depend on the type of kid it is? I still wonder why highly ranked kids select the best schools with no position opening. Example, by recruiting services standards, Florida probably has 12 of the best recievers in the nation. Why do kids do this?

GTFish, there are all kinds of reasons kids attend a college. It is hard to determine all the reasons. It is as varied as each individual kid himself.

I will give you some of my thoughts.

Since most of the five-star athletes are highly praised by their coaches, local papers, recruiting services, etc., they are star struck with visions of greenbacks dancing through their heads.

I would say a good portion of them are hunting colleges that will give them the most exposure for reaching the pros. Most of these guys are probably thinking a couple of years in college and I take the money.

Why do they want to hang around and study. Thus, they seek exposure. I would peg the biggest majority of five stars looking for exposure.

I think some of the five star athletes are just as smart as they are athletic. These athletes probably look at the academic side of the colleges, the football reputation of the college, and their personal confidence in the coaches through the recruiting procedures.

I wish I did not have to state this, but I believe the next statements to be true. There are some of the five and four-star athletes that go to colleges that slip them goodies under the table.

Some of the athletes of all ratings 1-5 stars have already decided where they will attend before they ever play their first down of high school football. It is family loyalty or just infatuation with a specific team.

The four-star athletes are still looking for exposure, but are a wee bit more practical. I would guess the majority of these athletes are looking at the schools they believe gives them the best and quickest chances to play.

They are still aspiring to play pro ball, but realize they have to play first to show themselves. Of course, their interest in the academics of the college has a tad more bearing in their choice.

These athletes, like most any athlete are also swayed by the reputation of the college and their acceptance of the coaches during recruiting.

The three-star athletes can play ball, but realize they are not rated as highly. I believe the biggest two reasons they choose a school, is the prospect of playing time balanced by the education they can achieve.

Of course, as usual, there is the reputation of the college football program, and the like or dislike of the coaches. Another factor for most of the players are getting a chance to be in a bowl game.

I have seen teams, with a miserable record in a given year, have one of their best recruiting seasons after that year. It is obvious, the recruits think they have a good chance to start or make the traveling team very early.

I have seen teams with great years have a bad recruiting seasons after that year. It is again obvious, the team is so deep with talent some times, players shy away because they see no chance to play for several years.

Let's say you played football, and you were pretty good in high school, or you would not even be in consideration for a scholarship.

You have been a star, all the kids and their parents at the school adore you and have you on a pedestal. Let's say you are not five-star, and even, if you are, you are not sure about the next level.

Which school do you choose? Are you concerned that you would let those down who have you on a pedestal? If so, you might choose a lesser school where you know you could still be a star. If you don't care, and are a true competitor, you might choose a tougher program.

You also might chunk all of the glory and go for the education. You might be a kid, and have no idea what you want to do, and be pulled this way and that way. It might get down to flipping a coin, or just where you feel most comfortable.

This has nothing to do with Florida per se, but I have read where they have several jets traveling all over the country to see recruits. With that kind of money, and their ability to put on the big show, I can see why they have a lot of players going there.

Maybe, all is on the up-and-up. If not, we will be hearing from it in the future.

What verse do I use sometimes for my signature? "Be ye not deceived, God is not mocked, whatsoever a person soweth, that shall he also reap". That also applies to colleges as well as people in general.

The university of Rice understands this. Alabama is beginning to understand this. Then there is UGA! Nah!

wink.gif

Back