Top 50 recruits in Georgia

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
Well, Jordan Huff was # 51 when he committed to us, so they promptly dropped him to # 70. We are in the mix for # 18, Ja'Darien Boykin, FWIW, but I couldn't tell you our chances. Notice that among that top 50 list, only handful of schools are represented and all are the usual "factory" suspects. That may say something about the landscape that we are competing in, don't you think?

saxondawg

Varsity Lurker
My honest question is, what has changed since 2007? Gailey had that one great year when he got a handful of top in-state players. Is that no longer possible 11 years later? My opinion is it can still be done at Tech, but if I'm wrong, what is different?

ScionOfSouthland

Dodd-Like
Well, Jordan Huff was # 51 when he committed to us, so they promptly dropped him to # 70. We are in the mix for # 18, Ja'Darien Boykin, FWIW, but I couldn't tell you our chances. Notice that among that top 50 list, only handful of schools are represented and all are the usual "factory" suspects. That may say something about the landscape that we are competing in, don't you think?
Makes me wonder which came first, the factory or the top 50 ranking. Following the money gives the answer.

georgiatech22

Dodd-Like
My honest question is, what has changed since 2007? Gailey had that one great year when he got a handful of top in-state players. Is that no longer possible 11 years later? My opinion is it can still be done at Tech, but if I'm wrong, what is different?
That was a perfect storm recruiting year. That was a year in which the state was especially stacked with talent and a major factor in the successful recruiting of several stars in our 2007 class was the relationship between several of the mothers who went to college together, shared a preference for Tech, and became an active back channel in the recruiting of this class. Ex: Dwyer, Burnett, Nesbitt, D. Morgan, Roddy Jones.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
All our players are number one in my heart. As long has they play hard, try their best, and honor the Gold Standard of behavior towards the opponent, they are winners in my book.

gogt5

Flats Noob
Oh its possible again but we've got A LOT of mediocrity right now in the GTAA

Akinji07

Moderator you deserve
Staff member
That was a perfect storm recruiting year. That was a year in which the state was especially stacked with talent and a major factor in the successful recruiting of several stars in our 2007 class was the relationship between several of the mothers who went to college together, shared a preference for Tech, and became an active back channel in the recruiting of this class. Ex: Dwyer, Burnett, Nesbitt, D. Morgan, Roddy Jones.
Ive been saying this for years. We need to recruit moms, not the kids. It doesnt matter where they wanna go. Mom has the final say. Recruit the moms.

Vespid

Billy Jacks Illegitimate Son
Ive been saying this for years. We need to recruit moms, not the kids. It doesnt matter where they wanna go. Mom has the final say. Recruit the moms.
That's what we used to do, but then the lemon peel closed.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
Dont be ööööing naive. They pay kids in the top 50 a lot of money to commit.

GTTerrific

Dodd-Like
On the other side big fan bases pay with subscriptions to get kids ranked high .

manjano mdudu

Varsity Lurker
I can't say that I'm buying the regular assortment of excuses, such as they're all paid, or that all of the good players are dumb, or that the lists are skewed in a conspiracy against GT. If we can't get any of the top 50 kids in our own state, a state with only two Power 5 schools, then I think we have to look inward for the problem. We used to compete for our state's top talent. I think the canary in the coal mine needs rapid attention.