Top five Tech games I wish I could have seen.....

statelinejacket

Damn Good Rat
With an reliable 1930 Model A time machine ofcourse! #1 '29 Rose Bowl win against Cal and see Riegel's 60 yard run the wrong way. Still one of the most very famous plays of them all. #2 Any game with Clint Castleberry in 1942! Sure would take a camcorder for this trip to see the very best to ever step on to Grant Field. #3 7-6 GT-Bama Would love to witness what many on this board saw that day in '62. #4 Any game of the '52 National Champs. Six All-Americans and Coach Dodd. 24-7 whipping of unbeaten Mississippi Rebels. Stopping Bama, Georgia and Florida along the way. #5 '56 GT-Tenn even though we lost a tough one that day 7-0 I have seen quite a few old time references that says this was the greatest game ever played in the South. The game that made Johnny Majors famous.

A couple of comments on the games you mention: the Sugar Bowl of the 1952 National Championship season was televised by ABC, the first college football game that network had ever done. The announcer kept calling Ole Miss "old Mississippi" throughout the game. I was at the '56 Tech-Tenn game which Tech lost 6-0. Tech came into the game ranked #2, Tenn#3 [Oklahoma was #1]. Neither team threated to scor except for one play. Majors threw a short pass to end Buddy Cruze. As Wade Mitchell and Paul Rotenberry closed on him for the tacle on what would have been about a 10 yard gain, they collided, and Cruze made it all the way to the 1 yard line before being brought down. The play went for about 65 yards and was about the only offense the whole game. Tenn scored on 1st down if I remember correctly.

I'm still kicking myself over the ND game in '76. I went to a party up in Doraville the night before the game, got pretty wasted, passed out at a buddy's apartment and had a terrible hang over the next day. We all decided it wasn't worth the trip back to town as bad as we all felt so we just turned on the radio.

I also wish I had been at the UVA game in Charlottesville in '90 and the Citrus Bowl. UVA in '99 would have been great too.

To all the OF's out here on the board....When I read about yall being at the 7-6 GT-Bama, or the '56 Tech-Tenn, the wins over the Dawgs back in the 50's I am truly envious. To witness Tech with Dodd on the sideline against the Bear,the General, Butts, and Vaught...has to be priceless memories. It's what made Southern Football second to none. A salute to all of you!

How about the win over #1 UVA? Or is that to new for all you elder statesmen? Oh yeah...GO JACKETS BUST THEIR ASS!!!!!!

rammsting, the Tenneessee (7) Tech (0) is probably one of the best games ever played in that era in the South. It was unfortunate the two Tech defenders ran into each other. Both were excellent defenders.

That play was the offense of the game. It was a great defensive struggle between two truly great teams at the time.

There were many great games during the early fifties, but I only listened to them on the radio. The Alabama game 7-6 was a truly great game. The Tech 6/ SMU 4 game was a great game.

The eight games in a row against UGA was a huge bonus at the time, until Theron Sapp of Georgia broke the drought. I can't remember the score, but that might have been a 7-0 UGA victory.

In the present era some of the Tech/Virginia high scoring affairs have been great, plus the win against Nebraska to win the 1990 championship. Even a loss to Florida where Bobby Dodd Jr. came in and led Florida to the win over his Dad in the final part of the game was a memorable game.

Yes, many good games at GT over the years.

Back