Transfer: Christian Burkhalter, DE, UCLA

D2E85775-21F7-482E-8250-DB7FE695A39F.gif

The former Spanish Fort HS (Ala.) star was a top 20 player in the state of Alabama in his class and ranked the 32nd overall weakside defensive end by Rivals. He played outside linebacker at UCLA, but projects as a rush end in the Jackets' defense. He has not played any collegiate snaps, but was on the scout team for his freshman year at UCLA and will have all four years of eligibility remaining.

Looks a little small for a DE. But hey what do I know.
He's 18 and 230 isn't undersized. He's not done growing yet. Michael Johnson was actually smaller than he was coming out of HS and put on 70lbs of shredded muscle. Not certain but I believe he was roughly 6'5 210-215 when he came to Tech

Jared Ivey and Kyle Kennard were listed at 6'6" 215 coming out of HS, so Burkhalter actually fits the profile for what we've been taking at DE, measurables-wise. And we did recruit him out of high school. This is one of those transfers you should really compare to a HS recruit, rather than a finished product transfer. He's got 4 years to play.

No way. He's definitely gonna be just like Michael Johnson.

Maybe put him at WR, and see how he compares to Calvin Johnson.
Looks like most of his HS tape is at WR. Could make a good TE I would think. Impactful DE remains to be seen. Certainly good potential in special teams.

Back