Transition from Option running team to pass first team...

Discussion in 'Football' started by Walton, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Walton

Walton Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I know the new GT is supposed to be a balanced attacked but the running part is "easy", the passing is much more complex to learn and execute.

So what are examples of the transition we are trying to make on offense?

The only one I can think of is GaSouthern a few years ago and it was a disaster from what I remember.

Not trying to make a point, just curious.

2. WracerX

WracerX Dr. Dunkingstein

Loc:
    Somewhere in the early 80's
    Team:
    GT
    Nebraska went from a power-I option team to a west coast offense under Shanahan. It was brutal and was done so poorly Nebraska still hasn’t recovered.

Texas A&M went from I formation option to West Coast under Sherman. He at least had the wisdom to pull back on the West Coast offense and switch to more run based while he recruited. He basically became TAM version of Gailey.

GaSo went from option to whatever under BvG. Then to the air raid under Hatcher. They didn’t get their feet back until they returned to the option. But that was because they hired a good coach, rather than the offense.

These are under center option offenses. Utah,UF, and Miss St have all undergone changes from Meyers’ shotgun option offense (even if they don’t call it that).

Then there is Michigan, WF, and Zona that all transitioned into and out of RichRod’s shotgun option.

Our transition isn’t going to be easy, but it doesn’t have to be horrendous. If we truly are a personnel based system, we should win at least a handful of ACC games. If we keep trying to force the square peg in the round hole, we are done winning for this year.

And I think the Citadel loss was on Patenaude trying to force an offense that wasn’t working. He has got to start going with the guy with the hot hand instead of distributing the snaps.

• Like Like x 7
  3. BioJacket06

BioJacket06 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Roswell, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Why do you think that?

4. coit

coit Posting at a high level

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    Georgia School of Technology
    And oddly enough, we had more passing yardage last year.

5. Tshirt Man

Tshirt Man Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    middle GA
    Team:
    Gt
    I'll answer for him but I could be wrong. Oliver and Mason would have ran all over citadel. Not only would we have scored more but it would have gave our defense a breather probably meaning they scored less.

• Like Like x 7
  6. WracerX

WracerX Dr. Dunkingstein

Loc:
    Somewhere in the early 80's
    Team:
    GT
    This.

7. JJacket

JJacket 1st to pass for 2500 and rush for 1000

Loc:
    THWG
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I believe that is what was so disappointing about the game. Their DL was small. We should have lined up and powered past them. Just get the damn win

• Like Like x 3
  8. BioJacket06

BioJacket06 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Roswell, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I needed to go to bed earlier last night. Rereading your post this morning it makes perfect sense.

9. BigDanT

BigDanT Actually John Goodman

Loc:
    Lawrenceville
    Team:
    Yellow jackets
    I think it’s easier to anticipate a pass when the passing quarterback is in the game.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Akinji07

Akinji07 Inventor of Thursdays

Loc:
    Hobo Tailgate
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    You should be our OC. Seriously, I’m not being facetious. I’ll take anybody else at this point.

• Like Like x 3
  11. EffinDane

EffinDane Dodd-Like

Loc:
    BDS@HGF
    Team:
    GT
    • Like Like x 1
  12. gtchief

gtchief ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Loc:
    Alpharetta
    Team:
    GT
    Need complex route trees, lots of rub/pick plays, a QB that can hit spots on time and accurately, and guys that can get open to be a pass first team. We don't even run curl routes at 1st down markers.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tampa Jacket

Tampa Jacket Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Tampa
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Yep. They never stopped the QB draw with Oliver. Patenaude is working on a pink slip already.

14. Walton

Walton Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Just to clarify, by pass first I didn't mean air raid. I mean teams like UGA or Bama who have complex, modern passing attacks even though they really are run first teams. Think more like Clemson who might not be pass first but do throw a ton and don't depend on a power running attack.

We could have transitioned to a pistol type running team or what Malzahn is known for: run first and simpler pass routes and throws sort of like Johnson's offense but not under center and not a Flex bone BUT that isn't the plan and doesn't seem to be what the fans wanted anyway.

15. originalwombat

originalwombat Flats Noob

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    We will not transition into a balanced offense this year. And by "balanced," I mean the ability to execute both the run and the pass. Toby can only run. Lucas can't do either.

The wild card is Graham. We don't know what he can do. Not enough snaps so far. I know some folks are thinking Yates should be given a shot, but I think the safe bet is that he's another in the mold of Oliver and Johnson (i.e. a classic CPJ QB that can't pass). I sure hope this Fr. coming in is worth a damn.

• Like Like x 1
  16. txsting

txsting Elite level sh*tposting

Loc:
    Knoxville, TN
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    We desperately need more competition at the QB position in order to make a step up. I'm not sure whether Yates would have been a take for this coaching staff or not. Graham needs a shot but he's injured.

For sure we will get the OL that we need given a few years. We have two big tackles committed that could be kids to play early. We also have many more OL commits and we'll likely hit on some starter material and some depth guys.

But as we know from previous regimes, hitting on a pro-style QB or even a quality dual threat guy has always been tough. Chan could not do it 7 years. It's critical that Gleason becomes a good player. It's either that or take a chance on some transfer, which rarely works out.

17. Akinji07

Akinji07 Inventor of Thursdays

Loc:
    Hobo Tailgate
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I wanna see an offensive line before I see another quarterback or 3 quarterback play or whatever other retarded package Patenaude comes up with. Yates is gonna either get injured or drop in confidence behind our thin line.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Diseqc

Diseqc Dodd-Like

Loc:
    :bigcry:
    That’s what should have happened in the second half when it became obvious that our offense just isn’t ready.

But Collins and Paterdouche are stuck in this recruiting catch-22 of promising that we’re not a run first option team to recruits but also needing to be a run first option team to beat The Citadel. At some point they needed to swallow their pride and just get the W.

• Like Like x 2
  19. oldgold68

oldgold68 Bitter old man

Loc:
    Living in the past
    Team:
    GT
    I know we have OL problems and QB problems and scheme problems. We may be a textbook example of offensive dysfunction. If our OL is at least somewhat capable of cut blocking and our QB is already in the shotgun, can we not count "one thousand and one" and sling the ööööing football to a short route. Hell, I taught my grandson to do that when he was 12 years old.

20. BigDanT

BigDanT Actually John Goodman

Loc:
    Lawrenceville
    Team:
    Yellow jackets
    Like in overtime or the last whole quarter

• Like Like x 1