Transition from Option running team to pass first team...

Walton

Damn Good Rat
I know the new GT is supposed to be a balanced attacked but the running part is "easy", the passing is much more complex to learn and execute.

So what are examples of the transition we are trying to make on offense?

The only one I can think of is GaSouthern a few years ago and it was a disaster from what I remember.

Not trying to make a point, just curious.

Nebraska went from a power-I option team to a west coast offense under Shanahan. It was brutal and was done so poorly Nebraska still hasn’t recovered.

Texas A&M went from I formation option to West Coast under Sherman. He at least had the wisdom to pull back on the West Coast offense and switch to more run based while he recruited. He basically became TAM version of Gailey.

GaSo went from option to whatever under BvG. Then to the air raid under Hatcher. They didn’t get their feet back until they returned to the option. But that was because they hired a good coach, rather than the offense.

These are under center option offenses. Utah,UF, and Miss St have all undergone changes from Meyers’ shotgun option offense (even if they don’t call it that).

Then there is Michigan, WF, and Zona that all transitioned into and out of RichRod’s shotgun option.

Our transition isn’t going to be easy, but it doesn’t have to be horrendous. If we truly are a personnel based system, we should win at least a handful of ACC games. If we keep trying to force the square peg in the round hole, we are done winning for this year.

And I think the Citadel loss was on Patenaude trying to force an offense that wasn’t working. He has got to start going with the guy with the hot hand instead of distributing the snaps.

And I think the Citadel loss was on Patenaude trying to force an offense that wasn’t working. He has got to start going with the guy with the hot hand instead of distributing the snaps.

Why do you think that?

And oddly enough, we had more passing yardage last year.

I'll answer for him but I could be wrong. Oliver and Mason would have ran all over citadel. Not only would we have scored more but it would have gave our defense a breather probably meaning they scored less.

This.

I'll answer for him but I could be wrong. Oliver and Mason would have ran all over citadel. Not only would we have scored more but it would have gave our defense a breather probably meaning they scored less.
You should be our OC. Seriously, I’m not being facetious. I’ll take anybody else at this point.

Need complex route trees, lots of rub/pick plays, a QB that can hit spots on time and accurately, and guys that can get open to be a pass first team. We don't even run curl routes at 1st down markers.

Nebraska went from a power-I option team to a west coast offense under Shanahan. It was brutal and was done so poorly Nebraska still hasn’t recovered.

Texas A&M went from I formation option to West Coast under Sherman. He at least had the wisdom to pull back on the West Coast offense and switch to more run based while he recruited. He basically became TAM version of Gailey.

GaSo went from option to whatever under BvG. Then to the air raid under Hatcher. They didn’t get their feet back until they returned to the option. But that was because they hired a good coach, rather than the offense.

These are under center option offenses. Utah,UF, and Miss St have all undergone changes from Meyers’ shotgun option offense (even if they don’t call it that).

Then there is Michigan, WF, and Zona that all transitioned into and out of RichRod’s shotgun option.

Our transition isn’t going to be easy, but it doesn’t have to be horrendous. If we truly are a personnel based system, we should win at least a handful of ACC games. If we keep trying to force the square peg in the round hole, we are done winning for this year.

Yep. They never stopped the QB draw with Oliver. Patenaude is working on a pink slip already.

Just to clarify, by pass first I didn't mean air raid. I mean teams like UGA or Bama who have complex, modern passing attacks even though they really are run first teams. Think more like Clemson who might not be pass first but do throw a ton and don't depend on a power running attack.

We could have transitioned to a pistol type running team or what Malzahn is known for: run first and simpler pass routes and throws sort of like Johnson's offense but not under center and not a Flex bone BUT that isn't the plan and doesn't seem to be what the fans wanted anyway.

We will not transition into a balanced offense this year. And by "balanced," I mean the ability to execute both the run and the pass. Toby can only run. Lucas can't do either.

The wild card is Graham. We don't know what he can do. Not enough snaps so far. I know some folks are thinking Yates should be given a shot, but I think the safe bet is that he's another in the mold of Oliver and Johnson (i.e. a classic CPJ QB that can't pass). I sure hope this Fr. coming in is worth a damn.

We will not transition into a balanced offense this year. And by "balanced," I mean the ability to execute both the run and the pass. Toby can only run. Lucas can't do either.

The wild card is Graham. We don't know what he can do. Not enough snaps so far. I know some folks are thinking Yates should be given a shot, but I think the safe bet is that he's another in the mold of Oliver and Johnson (i.e. a classic CPJ QB that can't pass). I sure hope this Fr. coming in is worth a damn.

We desperately need more competition at the QB position in order to make a step up. I'm not sure whether Yates would have been a take for this coaching staff or not. Graham needs a shot but he's injured.

For sure we will get the OL that we need given a few years. We have two big tackles committed that could be kids to play early. We also have many more OL commits and we'll likely hit on some starter material and some depth guys.

But as we know from previous regimes, hitting on a pro-style QB or even a quality dual threat guy has always been tough. Chan could not do it 7 years. It's critical that Gleason becomes a good player. It's either that or take a chance on some transfer, which rarely works out.

I wanna see an offensive line before I see another quarterback or 3 quarterback play or whatever other retarded package Patenaude comes up with. Yates is gonna either get injured or drop in confidence behind our thin line.

That’s what should have happened in the second half when it became obvious that our offense just isn’t ready.

But Collins and Paterdouche are stuck in this recruiting catch-22 of promising that we’re not a run first option team to recruits but also needing to be a run first option team to beat The Citadel. At some point they needed to swallow their pride and just get the W.

I know we have OL problems and QB problems and scheme problems. We may be a textbook example of offensive dysfunction. If our OL is at least somewhat capable of cut blocking and our QB is already in the shotgun, can we not count "one thousand and one" and sling the ööööing football to a short route. Hell, I taught my grandson to do that when he was 12 years old.

That’s what should have happened in the second half when it became obvious that our offense just isn’t ready.

But Collins and Paterdouche are stuck in this recruiting catch-22 of promising that we’re not a run first option team to recruits but also needing to be a run first option team to beat The Citadel. At some point they needed to swallow their pride and just get the W.
Like in overtime or the last whole quarter

Back