Truthfully, the 4 fumbles + 1 int cost us the game.

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
It really wasn't anything Coach G did or didn't do. Gailey had a gaffe or 2, but the killer was the turnovers & fumble return from outta the EZ.
J Smith's lost fumble in the 2nd qtr didn't hurt as we got it right back on Butler's int.
The troubles really massacred GT in the 2nd half following BYU's opening drive for a TD. Scott had the KO on the 1, but let it slip thru his hands into the ez. He then was undecided what to do, so he picked it up & stutter stepped to the 5. That HURT. We didn't move much & kicked to the 49, returned to the 43. BYU drove in from there to go up 21-13. (Scott catches KOs every day).
We drive back down the field & a little swing pass looks sweet as J Dixon takes it to the 11, gets hit & fumbles. It would've been 3 & 1 with a FG coming, at the least, to cut the lead down, a TD or a TD & 2 pointer to tie. That HURT.
BYU doesn't move & punts. We drive back down the field & on 1st down from the Cougars 26 Ball throws an airball that is intercepted. Again we probably get pts to cut into the lead or go ahead. That HURT. BYU starts their long drive for the clinching FG.
We move after the KO, with the help of penalties, to a 1st down @ BYU's 23. Ball completes a pass to Curry to the 14, but Curry fumbles. That HURT. GT could've scored & onside kicked, hoping for a miracle finish.

The turnovers, fumble return outta the ez & Gailey's faux pas of not taking the penalty in the 1st half did us in. These mistakes should not happen again.

Bottom line - no rationalization. The mistakes did happen as they have been for 3 - 4 years. We need to demand that they, along with penalties, stop now.

GTACE you are so right i just rewatch the game and 3 of the TO cost us the game.

Originally posted by texstinger:
Bottom line - no rationalization. The mistakes did happen as they have been for 3 - 4 years. We need to demand that they, along with penalties, stop now.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Now TS, there's some solid football talk from you. If only you'd realize that bad things happen when Presidents get involved with athletics.....

Mike Adams is running The University[sic] into the ground. (Though I'm actually very happy about that) But hey they're winning football games.

We became a mistake prone football team in the second half of the Peach Bowl.

What bothers me is that it could and probably will continue to happen.You can be coached not to fumble.
You are almost guaranteed to lose if you lose the turnover battle by more than 2.

Originally posted by 3518techie:
This turnover stuff is a crock! The first turnover we got right back on an interception. The last turnover happened whent the score was 24-13. BYU was in soft coverage and was willing to concede the TD to run out the clock. We still would have needed to recover an onside kick to even have a chance. BYU had more than 100 yards more of total offense and had 2 turnovers, a blocked punt and a missed chip-shot field goal so they had their own what-ifs. Our best running play was a 33 yard scramble on a pass attempt. It is silly to delude ourselves into believe this is a game we should have won.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You're fooling yourself if you're going to tell me that Turnovers don't go almost hand-in-hand with losing. If my team turns the ball over 4 or more times, I expect a loss. ESPECIALLY since we only had the ball for 20 minutes! Our Turn-overs to play ratio was horrible! When you add in we had the ball for 20 minutes with those turnovers, we're not going to have alot of chance to run the ball because we'll be playing catch-up.

Now, I'm not saying the turnovers was the ONLY reason we lost. Add our defense in there too. However, if either our Defense stops them a few more times, OR we only turn the ball over 0 or 1 times, I do believe we win. Fix one of those problems, and I think we win. Fix them both, and we win BIG.

Tony Barnfart of the AJC said prior to the game that GT needed two or less turnovers to have a chance to win the game and he was right. We are not good enough and are not going to be good enough tp overcome (5) turnovers

This turnover stuff is a crock! The first turnover we got right back on an interception. The last turnover happened whent the score was 24-13. BYU was in soft coverage and was willing to concede the TD to run out the clock. We still would have needed to recover an onside kick to even have a chance. BYU had more than 100 yards more of total offense and had 2 turnovers, a blocked punt and a missed chip-shot field goal so they had their own what-ifs. Our best running play was a 33 yard scramble on a pass attempt. It is silly to delude ourselves into believe this is a game we should have won.

We very easily could be 2-0 if we'd held onto the ball, but we didn't.
Here's Reggie Ball's quote in the 9/6/03 edition of Ramblingwreck.com quotes:
"How many turnovers did we have last week? Four. How many did we have this week, none, one. That makes a big difference".

What's the real point in bringing this back up? We just upset one of our oldest rivals and played a heck of a game. We were expected to be 0-2 and we're 1-1. Move on past last week and enjoy the win.

Dadgum, Jacket, easy on the caffeine (or the sauce).
The point is to show the importance of turnovers in a game & how a game can be turned by them. Also, to show how capable Tech can be to having a very good season with a limited amount of 'em. Also, to show an excellent quote from Ball concerning how TOs hurt us in the 1st gm, but didn't in the 2nd gm.
Turnovers kill, Buckaroo, & switch to decaf.

Originally posted by GT Ace:
Dadgum, Jacket, easy on the caffeine (or the sauce).
The point is to show the importance of turnovers in a game & how a game can be turned by them. Also, to show how capable Tech can be to having a very good season with a limited amount of 'em. Also, to show an excellent quote from Ball concerning how TOs hurt us in the 1st gm, but didn't in the 2nd gm.
Turnovers kill, Buckaroo, & switch to decaf.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Point taken.

Back