Two Back Set

Really liked this look, especially with Gibbs/Smith. Tons of speed and great ability to run or pass with/to both guys. Seems like a nightmare for the defense that should also open up the receivers a bit given how the defense will have to respect the short game.

You asked for it, you got it!

What did y’all think?

Seems like it will pay off with the RPO and adding some misdirection.
I pointed this out at 3:03 and you poop my post, then rip it off?

You are starting to stalk me like buzzczar. There is no reason to poop my posts because Im not bipolar where after every loss every coach should be fired and after every big win we are going to the ACC championship. Its never as good or bad as it seems. We have plenty of warts. This game was an outlier with a 77% completion rate for Sims. Outstanding, but on just 112 yards passing with a long of 28. Why would I expect that to continue and not the 55% rate of last year? Are there no more 44% completion rate eggs like NIU headed our way? Who knows for sure? Can we consistently beat teams with under 200 yards passing? With a 2:1 run pass ratio?

Obviously I want Sims to be great. He can be. I dont want to argue with you bipolar folks. So I will say I'll be happy when I see Sims dropping deep balls in over the shoulder in stride like the UNC QB can do. At that point his big arm will make him a deep threat. Until then, see if teams dont move up and test his deep touch out. They would be crazy not to.

As to the two back set it makes sense. Hard for the D to adjust to unless all your LB are fast enough to cover either or both when they go out.

Last edited:

You are starting to stalk me like buzzczar. There is no reason to poop my posts because Im not bipolar where after every loss every coach should be fired and after every big win we are going to the ACC championship. Its never as good or bad as it seems. We have plenty of warts. This game was an outlier with a 77% completion rate for Sims. Outstanding, but on just 112 yards passing with a long of 28. Why would I expect that to continue and not the 55% rate of last year? Are there no more 44% completion rate eggs like NIU headed our way? Who knows for sure? Can we consistently beat teams with under 200 yards passing? With a 2:1 run pass ratio?

Obviously I want Sims to be great. He can be. I dont want to argue with you bipolar folks. So I will say I'll be happy when I see Sims dropping deep balls in over the shoulder in stride like the UNC QB can do. At that point his big arm will make him a deep threat. Until then, see if teams dont move up and test his deep touch out. They would be crazy not to.

As to the two back set it makes sense. Hard for the D to adjust to unless all your LB are fast enough to cover either or both when they go out.
Totally agree. After FSU last year teams DC’s adjusted to Sims. Patenaude had no answer. Should have gone to two backs then. The key moving forward is can Patenaude adjust to what the defenses will do? And we know what they will do as they did it last year. They will stack the box and dare Sims to beat them thru the air. Neither Patenaude’s vanilla route trees nor Sims accuracy were able to handle it. Let’s see if they can handle it this year. We all hope they can.

1632681760719.png

I'm glad to see the coaches read stingtalk. 2 back set for the win! You could still run the base package with 1 TE/1 SE/1 slot man. That's enough receivers with one of the backs running a route as well if need be. I thought Sims did a real good job of reading the read option which resulting with him pulling it a lot and running.

I'm glad to see the coaches read stingtalk. 2 back set for the win! You could still run the base package with 1 TE/1 SE/1 slot man. That's enough receivers with one of the backs running a route as well if need be. I thought Sims did a real good job of reading the read option which resulting with him pulling it a lot and running.
Also, apparently they understand what they read. A bonus.

It's the first time we actually acted like a player-based instead of scheme-based O. And we go fully 2-deep on it with Griffin, Gibbs, Smith and Mason.

+1

So was this 'putting the bandaid back on'? Hopefully Pdude will keep his head out of his butt for the rest of the season. I have been hoping we would go to some sort of player based scheme instead of crying about the roster for a while now.

Didn't we do this same thing in 2019? Against NC State?

Meaning we'd been having trouble generating Offense then against NC State we went split backs w/ Mason and Griffin and everybody loved it.

Back