UCLA coaching hire and GT

Beezoner

Varsity Lurker
UCLA's new AD pulled the trigger on a bold pick, former receiver Karl Dorrell. No head coaching experience, but a former UCLA receiver, fave of the alums and former players and a quality guy from all accounts. The alternative hire was Mike Riley, pro-college head guy with good personal qualities but a so-so record.

Eerie coincidences with GT's coaching search. Just substitute Riley and Dorrell with Gailey and Robinson, and you have the behind-the-scenes Tech coaching machinations to a tee. Even the race aspect is the same - Dorrell becomes the 4th Div I African-American coach.

Only time will tell if Tech's safe choice was more prudent than UCLA's bold one. It will provide an interesting comparison for the what-could-have-been folks.

UCLA hires Dorrell

Uh, Jimmy doesn't look African-American to me...

http://www.giants.com/team/index.cfm?cont_id=67361

Maybe he's from South Africa?
grin.gif

thats not the only difference....dorrell was a successful offensive coordinator for a few major colleges...Robinson has only ever been a WR coach (if im not mistaken)

Good luck to UCLA on their new hire. I'm certainly not familiar with him. I bet it's smarter than Riley though. PAC 10's too competitive for Riley's approach.

Back