UCONN Notebook

2 Big Techsticles

Flats Noob
Connecticut Post Monday UCONN report

I look for the vanilla game plan. Lot's of running from pro and double tight sets. Don't give Clemson too much to get a read on.

This game may be more boring in terms of ugliness than the Syracuse game last year.

Objective - get the win with NO injuries.

Go Jackets.

Wow! Actual football talk! Thanks TB.

Here's my 2 cents; see what you think.

When I heard the scores during the day and then the final of BC-UConn, and then found out that BC didn't have a lot of turnovers, my initial thought was that this might be a much tougher game than anticipated.

I still think it might be somewhat tougher than we'd originally thought, but I've been sitting here analyzing it and I'm starting to get more optimistic that we should be able to pull away from the Huskies and control the game.

1. BC's D is pretty good. I think ours is roughly on par with theirs. UConn had 243 total yards against the Eagles, and that included only 40 rushing yards on 34 carries (though their RB had 62 yards on 17 carries, which is not that terrible). I don't think there is any reason why they should do significantly better against us.

2. Our offense is good. I think better than BC's. In particular I like our RB and WR situations more. They lost one William Green but we gained one Tony Hollings. I think we should be able to score at least 30 points on UConn. Possibly a lot more if things click or we get up early on them and they get demoralized. Their D-line is undersized and I expect some success running the ball.

3. UConn was hyped for the BC game, and spent the whole offseason looking forward to it and preparing for it. They hate BC, who is the big school in the local area. I think they may have shot their motivational wad. I tend to think they played at the peak of their ability similar to the GT-FSU game in 1999.

4. The element of surprise helps the less-talented underdog. When there are no surprises the underdog has less of a chance. You have to think that UConn pulled out all the stops in the offensive game. We are going to have much more of their offensive package and personnel on tape while BC was looking at last year's and vanilla spring scrimmage tapes.

5. UConn had some significant injuries. GT didn't have any injuries, and instead is actually getting about four players back that didn't play last week, including our best DT and several of our top WR's.

With 18 returning starters and a staff in place, and a sterling effort against a good BC team last week, UConn is likely a better team than Vandy. I guess we'll find out when they play the Dores.

However, UConn may be looking at a second-week slump after giving it everything they had against BC last week. Meanwhile GT did not show any signs at all of being vulnerable to teams with less size and team speed, as we have been at some times in the past. What I saw on Saturday night was a VERY well coached team.

One thing I'm worried about is the LACK of an atmosphere. Playing an unknown team in a tiny stadium on the road is not the kind of atmosphere our players are used to, and they will have to focus to take Connecticut seriously.

Though come to think of it, it's probably a much better atmosphere than last year's Duke game, which had a recorded attendance of ~10K but was probably less in reality.

I don't know if we'll manhandle them the way we did Vandy, but I think we should be able to pull away in the third quarter and win by three or more scores. I'll probably lay the points in my pool, just as I did against Vandy.

Agreeing to play @Uconn was a complete Braine-dead decision.

blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif

beeware,

Who should we have played? Who was available on short notice? What were the options?

I know the answer to these questions, but doubt you do with comments you keep making.

Do you have any idea how much of a nonsupporter of Georgia Tech Athletics you come across as time and time again?

You may have been going to GT games long before some. Your son may have been in the band. That's all great. Say "may" to these things because many people have doubts because of the way you continue to act.

You've made ugly comment after ugly comment in a worse fashion than even before (more frequency and nothing good to say without underlying meaning) the win Sat since the win. You've been absolutely beyond ugly.

The two posts above were about football. Your post was about your bitterness.

Tech 55 UConn 10

Sorry Huskies but BC is not the team they were a year ago. I liken them to Auburn... without Cadillac Williams the Auburn "O" stinks and can't move the ball.

Should be another good week to get the second and third teamers some PT.

GTT,
Instead of your petty personal attacks, shouldn't you be writing us an in-depth report on how green the grass was, or some other secret insider info??
confused.gif

For the record, we join such powerhouse teams as Ohio U., Ball St., Temple, Florida Atlantic, and Kent St. in visiting little 16k Uconn stadium.

Miami, Vandy, Iowa St, and even Buffalo and Navy are having Uconn come to their house.

There might have been a little justification if we were going up there next year when they open a new and much bigger stadium, but going up there this year to play in a high school stadium is ridiculous. And I am NOT the only that thinks so, even if you kiss up to every decision that Braine makes, no matter how bad or sad.

shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

Again Beeware you didn't answer my question. As far as petty personal attacks go. Just about every single post you make is a personal attack. Not all of them, but a great number of your post certainly are.

Surely you don't think that everyone has to kiss up and blindly agree with the party line to be a TECH fan?!?!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">It's okay not to blindly follow the party line, IF you have the tact and discrimination and intelligence to do it with some class.

But YOU blindly pull AGAINST the party line. You're just as blind as the people who back the party line to the hilt, and you show exactly the same amoun of original thought -- none. You just do it in the exact opposite way.

I frankly think you want us to lose so that you will be right. Wouldn't it just feel SO GOOD to be right? Wouldn't that help fix your intellectual insecurities? Huh?

I value almost every Tech fan, but you are the exception. I'd rather you pulled for Georgia. You would fit right in on the Vent. Go hurt their program instead of hurting ours.

GoTorn,
Actually, if you really think about it, your petty personal attack would be much more likely to fit in on the dawgvent than my legitimate complaint about a very poor scheduling decision to play @Uconn.

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Beeware...

We had no choice but to schedule either 1A opponent UConn or find a 1AA pasty to take that spot after MTSU dropped us for UcheaT.

Several schools were mentioned for filling this spot and frankly none of them wanted to play us.

Braine did what he had to do and that was get a game against a 1A opponent. It will be an easy win and honestly we could use another two weeks of practice and use UConn to implement a little more of the offense as we prepare for Clemson.

Vanderbilt was supposed to test us. They didn't. I think this Tech team will do great things this year.

As for the personal attacks I have seen both sides of the coin your flipping. You sling as much mud as any of them. Best not to throw stone in glass houses bud.

I have no problem with you or your opinions. Just please don't turn every post into a flame war
wink.gif

GO JACKETS!

Beeware, I understand your point about big-time football not traveling to places like UConn. I too think it stinks that GT didn't get 7 home games this year. The blame lies in the Athletic Department. Big deal. This isn't the worst thing that could happen.

MOVE ON

For the team where it is now, this game is the perfect chance to test out the road gear. We have to go to some tough places this year (Clemson, Athens, Raleigh, College Park) and getting some easier road experience and confidence could go a long way for this team.

Originally posted by beeware:
GoTorn,
Actually, if you really think about it, your petty personal attack would be much more likely to fit in on the dawgvent than my legitimate complaint about a very poor scheduling decision to play @Uconn.

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You mean like the petty personal attack you just made on PCB?

Hypocrite.

Appropriate graphic you chose. You certainly are confused.

The problem is not your legit complaint. We've all made the legit complaint, and many of us have made it known to the administration.

The problem is that you NEVER SHUT UP ABOUT IT. You clearly enjoy being negative and seem to want the program to do badly. You relish pointing out the negative.

I guess you like the attention. Perhaps you don't have very many friends. I should follow PCB's advice and quit giving you what you want.

GolTorn,
Not sure why you are so bitter or so personal or so petty, but I will not stoop to your low level.
bash.gif

My conversation with PCB was a friendly one...notice the smiley faces...and it WAS ON TOPIC.
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Scheduling a game @Uconn was a Braine-dead decision...(note I didn't stoop to calling them Uconn High like another stingtalker did... even though he has a very good point).
cool.gif
cool.gif

GTT, BEElieve me you're just MUCH better off IGNORING Beeware. Not worth the time, energy, or emotion spent. He's got you where he wants you and will continue to do so until you just ignore him. The temptation may be overwhelming, but so are many other we struggle with. Doesn't make it OK to give in to them. I've succumbed more times than I can count. I know.

Again just ignore Beeware. You'll be happier. We've got one bad apple in this bunch. We can't kick him out, so what choice have got??

grin.gif

Originally posted by JacketFanPCB:
We've got one bad apple in this bunch. We can't kick him out, so what choice have got??

grin.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">PCB,
There you go again!!!
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

I hope you are not saying that one has to agree with the Braine-dead decision to play @Uconn in a high school sized stadium, to be a "good apple". Big time programs don't have to do it and don't do it.
And PCB, for your sake please increase your sunscreen or stay out of that Florida sun...it seems to be having an effect on you. Surely you don't think that everyone has to kiss up and blindly agree with the party line to be a TECH fan?!?!

wink.gif
wink.gif

Originally posted by beeware:
Agreeing to play @Uconn was a complete Braine-dead decision.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Beeware,

What is UConn's record now?

Who did they just defeat?

Back