UGA/GT as season opener ?

**DONOTDELETE**

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
What would you think about it ? It would make the game bigger if we played with a clean slate. UGA/Clemson is going off the scale as far as anticipation and atmosphere. By the time the GT/UGA game is played now the conference and bowl stuff is generally pretty much settled. I know its tradition to close the season with it and bragging rights mean a lot but its something to consider.

byteback

Dodd-Like
I would love it!!! You are one of the very, very few dawgs who would even dare to suggest this.

Why not play the game early? You are right, both teams are fresh. Injuries won't be a factor. Both teams will be sky-high, knowing that to win, would propel the winner toward what could be a glorious season.

I'm all for it!!

GO JACKETS!!
byteback

bugboy

Damn Good Rat
I've always been a fan of ending the season against your most hated rival. Therefore, I've always enjoyed playing UGA at the end. However, if it was moved to the very first game, it might make the rivalry even more intense. The buildup over the summer would be unbelievable.

OTOH, it would stink to end the season against someone that's not a rival.

I can see both sides of the argument.

FHstinger

Dodd-Like
I'm big on tradition and history, so I'm against it. Besides, the losers season would be a total loss after the first game.

GoldenTornado

Flats Noob
I think that we're not Louisville and Kentucky. I think the GT-UGA game is a great way to end the season. Much more climactic the way it is now. Plus, CF is about tradition, and why ruin a tradition that goes back nearly a century?

GoldenTornado

Flats Noob
I should add: I think us playing Auburn and y'all playing Clemson as the first game of the season every year would be a GREAT way to get the type of preseason buildup you're talking about -- and preserve tradition (UGA often used to play CU early -- GT played Auburn on the third Saturday of October, but that's been ruined now anyway).

GTMoose

Varsity Lurker
Definite thumbs down here.

The best rivalries should be played at the end. When you go to see a fireworks display, do they send all of them up at the beginning? No! The last game of the season should be like a "grand finale".

BTW, the "bash" gremlin was for the idea, not to you personally.

bellyseries

Dodd-Like
Originally posted by GoldenTornado:
I should add: I think us playing Auburn and y'all playing Clemson as the first game of the season every year would be a GREAT way to get the type of preseason buildup you're talking about -- and preserve tradition (UGA often used to play CU early -- GT played Auburn on the third Saturday of October, but that's been ruined now anyway).
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Man, wouldn't that be great! For all four schools.

bugboy

Damn Good Rat
Originally posted by bellyseries:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by GoldenTornado:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Man, wouldn't that be great! For all four schools.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Yes it would. Tech should play Auburn every year. UGA should play Clemson every year. That would be awesome.

coldbeer

Jolly Good Fellow
The GT/UGA rivalry would lose a lot of emotion and meaning if it was played at the beginning of the season. It would become just another random date on the schedule ala other supposed top state rivalry game: Colorado/Colorado State, Penn State/Pitt, Michigan/Michigan State.

I love GoldenTornado's idea of us always opening with Auburn and UGA always opening with Clemson. That would really spark some interest in AL, GA, and SC during the dog days of summer.

kirbee

Jolly Good Fellow
Not a terrible idea, but I think moving the game would deflate the importance. Of course if Braine EVER even made a JOKE about it, the Tech Traditionalists will hang him from the Tech Tower. There are some that will NEVER forgive him for even whispering "Georgia Dome."

I agree that the preseason hype would work up to an overflowing froth. And yes sometimes the game does lose its luster at the end if one of us has a disappointing year.

But the season never hinges on the first game. There are 10 or 11 or more games after the first and the ones behind always pale in comparison to the first.

Having that "last shot" at your rival is always good. It can either be the icing on top or salvation of a season.

Tech Noir

Varsity Lurker
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Hehehe - just kidding. I'd agree that it would be really cool to kick off a season against Ugag. On the one hand, you'd be really pumped up about football starting, and you'd be really really pumped up about playing the bullpups.

BUT, I'd really miss the season long smack talking, the Extra weeks of buildup of anticipation - the potential for both teams to be undefeated and ranked really high ('though that could happen if it were the first game
)

I really like having Thanksgiving and then having an extra helping of some Clean Old Fashioned Hate.

That's just my opinion however.

Tech Noir

FAN OF BOBBY DODD

Flats Noob
I think there would be so much put into the game(emotional,physical ect.)win or loose it would hurt both teams ( ofcourse I'd like for that to happen to ugag) and neither would reach their true potential every year.

gnats67

Dodd-Like
I agree with the above posts that the GT/UGAg finale is the "icing on the cake." Even if you've had a disappointing year (saints preserve us!) having at go at your most heated rival makes up for a lot of things. I also feel strongly that Auburn should be worked back in the schedule routinely. I can't see why that can't be done. That is also a great traditional game that everyone has hated to see go in the interest of ACC evolution.

FHstinger

Dodd-Like
GT opens with Auburn every year, and UGAg opens with Climpsun every year. NOW YER TALKIN'!!!

VS.