UGAg game by the numbers

Discussion in 'Football' started by GoGATech, Dec 2, 2019.

1. GoGATech

GoGATech Big Dummy

Loc:
    GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    So we all agree the end result and final score certainly sucked. And yes the final score looked better last year with some late scores, but I decided to take a look at some of the numbers. First off, let's remember some key factors that are differences from last year to now:

-Last year we had 5 seniors on offense, a much better OL suited for what we were running, and we were in year 11 with a lot of experience running a unique offense that should be tough to defend.
    -This year we lost our best OL to transfer, 2 more to graduation, 2 more to injury. We are in the first season running an offense where we don't have the type guys we need at every position.

-Last year on defense we had 8 SR starters on defense: 3 DL, 2LB, 1 Stinger, FS, and CB.
    -This year we have 2 SR starters on defense, lost Brandon Adams, and have had several more lost for the year to injury.

Just that alone would lead one to believe that we should be nowhere near as competitive with a team as loaded as the mutts this year compared to last. So let's look at year by year:

Last year, our vaunted rushing attack that was #2 in the country averaging 315+ ypg, put up 128 against them. They were the number 32 defense against the rush last year, giving up 137+ yards per game. This year, when their defense is #2 against the rush allowing 75 ypg, we rushed for 99. We had more rushing yards against them than Florida, Auburn, Tennessee, Notre Dame, Texas A&M, and Missouri. Of course we didn't have many passing yards, but we haven't had many all year, that's where we're a work in progress.

Last year, UGAg DID NOT PUNT in the first half. They scored a Touchdown every time they had the ball, except for at the end of half, they kicked a field goal as time was expiring, not because we stopped them. This year we made them punt twice and attempt two field goals in the first half alone.

Last year, we did not score an offensive touchdown until well into the 4th quarter when UGAg had a majority of subs in on D. We scored the lone first half touchdown on the kickoff return by Juanyeh.

Last year the halftime score was 38-7 and we were never in it. This year the halftime score was 17-7 and should've easily been a one touchdown game. Last year our defense only got UGAg to third down 6 times. That means they converted all of their 1st or 2nd down plays to a new 1st down every time except 6. This year we forced them to 13 third downs, and they only converted half (7).

We have a long way to go, but you can see the improvement and the direction this team is heading. Last year we looked undersized, overmatched, and got pushed around all game. This year we stood toe-to-toe, played with desire, passion, and grit, and the attrition level just caught up with us in the end. I have full confidence if we continue on the path and trajectory CGC has us headed, the future of GT football is extremely bright.

• Like Like x 38
  2. Yukonwreck

Yukonwreck Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Tampa, Florida
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    We need ONE kicker.

3. GTRules

GTRules Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Orlando
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Noice.

4. Bloppy

Bloppy Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    GT
    Based. Love it. Good analysis and perspective. THWG!

• Like Like x 1
  5. EffinDane

EffinDane Dodd-Like

Loc:
    BDS@HGF
    Team:
    GT
    ok, Geoff

• Big Cry Big Cry x 10
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. BuzzFeitenSystem

BuzzFeitenSystem Big Cry Giver

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Yellow Jackets
    These kind of people almost seem like they don’t want GT to succeed under Collins and idk why

• Like Like x 1
    • Big Cry Big Cry x 1
  7. gtrower

gtrower Dodd-Like

Loc:
    DC
    Team:
    GT
    Bless you for skipping this thread 2 weeks ago.

I think we’re on a decent path too, but if the roles were reversed and I saw my rival using a 52-7 face-ööööing as basis for positivity I’d probably öööö myself laughing. This is the kind of thing you think to yourself and don’t write down for the world to see.

• Dislike Dislike x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  8. gte490v

gte490v Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Rome, Georgia
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Some things UGA did to other teams:
    Texas A&M -2 yards rushing on 20 carries, long of 9
    Auburn 84 yards rushing on 36 carries, long of 9
    Missouri 50 yards rushing on 24 carries, long of 12
    Florida 21 yards rushing on 19 carries, long of 9
    Notre Dame 46 yards rushing on 14 carries, long of 9

Their defense is really, really good. Thank goodness Fromme sucks or they'd have a shot at a natty.

• Like Like x 3
  9. BigT

BigT Confector

Loc:
    Behind you
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Nice look, something positive to build on.

10. coit

coit Posting at a high level

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    Georgia School of Technology
    This is where my mind has been on the issue as well. Fromm sux and they have a mere shadow of the running game they’ve had in the past 5+ years.

11. savbandjacket

savbandjacket Dodd-Like

Loc:
    A Bunker
    Team:
    GT
    93,000: the number of their fans who are butthurt about their idiot receiver being ejected and suspended for the first half of the SECCG. I had people bitching at work today because they think Swilling severely hurt their chances to beat LSU. My response was good.

• Like Like x 5
  12. BuzzFeitenSystem

BuzzFeitenSystem Big Cry Giver

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Yellow Jackets
    The only thing Pickens does on the field is draw BS pass interference calls, gets flagged for taunting, and punches people.

All exemplary traits of a ugag scumbag

13. GT65_UGA89

GT65_UGA89 ATL poster

Loc:
    N Forsyth
    Team:
    Ramblin' Wreck
    He didn’t play in the first half against us. I saw him standing on the sideline without his helmet and wondered what was up. I just saw where he was suspended for the first half for unknown reasons.

14. Tampa Jacket

Tampa Jacket Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Tampa
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Agree. We will play them tough every year beginning in 2022.
    UGA makes me want to puke. Those turds should have lost to Texas A&M, and would have if the referees would have called a fair game. But it's all about $$$.
    I can't wait to watch the LSU game. LSU is going to spank their hineys.

15. coit

coit Posting at a high level

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    Georgia School of Technology
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  16. JJacket

JJacket 1st to pass for 2500 and rush for 1000

Loc:
    THWG
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Hell, they suspended him for the first half of our game. They should be used to him skipping a half

• Like Like x 1
  17. swampsting

swampsting Dodd-Like

Loc:
    God's Country
    Team:
    Ga Tech
    I don’t think auburn misses him

18. ramblinwise1

ramblinwise1 beware the zealot

Loc:
    1805 Land Lottery Territory
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    He's the next Antonio Brown in waiting

19. 18in32

18in32 Petard Hoister

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Great write up, good perspective.

20. gtfan088

gtfan088 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Except no one will remember who Pickens is in 5 years. But aside from that, they are similar.