Uh oh.....MBB in trouble (NCAA)

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by Gobees, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Jacketblind

Jacketblind The Unbanned

Loc:
    T-town
    Team:
    Ga. Tech
    I think between the lines it says, He's my guy until his contract ends.

2. GT98

GT98 Helluva Engineer

Loc:
    parts unknown
    So, if he isn’t getting fired and can’t recruit, GT is just waiting 2 more years so he can be fired without the buyout? Sucks as it will be another 2 years after that before GT b-ball can not be a dumpster fire. Assuming of course, that they don’t whiff on yet another hire for the program.

3. savbandjacket

savbandjacket Dodd-Like

Loc:
    A Bunker
    Team:
    GT
    Who the hell would send their kid to play for CJP with all of this dumb öööö with Bell floating around? The die is cast on this coaching tenure and it’s not good.

• Like Like x 4
  4. BrentwoodJacket

BrentwoodJacket Flats Noob

Loc:
    Brentwood, Tennessee
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Can the lawyers on here explain why Pastner cannot be fired for cause based on introducing Bell to the program and failing to control Labarrie? Do you have to be convicted of a felony to be fired for cause?

• Like Like x 2
  5. 79tech

79tech Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    atlanta
    Team:
    ga tech
  6. swampsting

swampsting Dodd-Like

Loc:
    God's Country
    Team:
    Ga Tech
    no they had their own stripper gate, plus a disgraced former coach suing them for millions, links to an FBI investigation and the adidas shoe stuff ...
    so to clean it up they had to get a coach who was involved in one of the most physical and nasty rivalries, with altercations galore (X v Cincy)

7. BrentwoodJacket

BrentwoodJacket Flats Noob

Loc:
    Brentwood, Tennessee
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Why is Pastner untouchable by Tech and the NCAA. It is obvious that Pastner's actions caused all of the violations yet Tech will be punished and he is absolved of all responsibility and left to collect his salary and destroy what remains of our basketball program.

• Like Like x 2
  8. MACHETE

MACHETE Flats Noob

Loc:
    Tijuana
    Team:
    Jackets
    Pastner has to go. He is an embarrassment for Tech and does not represent us or our values.

• Like Like x 4
    • Big Cry Big Cry x 2
  9. RamblinWreck92

RamblinWreck92 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Shangri La
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    plus he's a crappy coach and recruiter and we're terrible. Outside of $$$, there's not a single valid reason to keep this clown around.

10. RussianOffense

RussianOffense Flats Noob

Loc:
    Iowa City, IA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Let's play without coaches next year. Is there a rule you have to have them? It would be entertaining and no NCAA violations

I bet we could win 4 ACC games with no coaches

11. BuzzLaw

BuzzLaw where have all the average people gone

Loc:
    The Kingfisher
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    First, I’m one of the folks that thinks we need to keep Pastner.

As to your question, I don’t know why we couldn’t fire him for cause for those things. Obviously, there’s a question of fact as to who knew what and when they knew it. Also, I would expect the “cause” to be defined in the contract. If, for example, it’s defined as “conduct unbecoming of a GT coach,” and he knew about the trip to the strip club, I would think that would trigger the firing for cause clause of the contract.

At the very least, GT could fire him for cause and then negotiate a smaller payout in a dispute over whether the clause was triggered.

Last, again, I’m one of the folks that thinks we need to keep Pastner (I guess maybe I’m in the minority). We’ve had a tough string of bad luck and that really sucks, but I’d like to see us get out of the clouds and then see what Pastner can do.

12. JoeCakeEater

JoeCakeEater Dodd-Like

Loc:
    The South
    Team:
    The Institute
    ...but what does The Gus think about this? I need his opinion on the state of GT BBall before I can form my own.

• Like Like x 1
  13. yellowbritchies

yellowbritchies Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Atlanta,Ga
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    If you read Judd's article ( a schlock ajc investigative reporter ) he outlines several damming charges against Pastner, then adds, these charges were found not to be true by the NCAA. WTF ?? Just another dull witted ajc hire sent out to find something to get attention.

14. smokey_wasp

smokey_wasp Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Kennesaw, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Not a lawyer, but I will speculate. Tech could probably make an argument for firing him for cause. He would have solid grounds to fight that based on the fact that there are no allegations against him personally, and the fact that Tech has supported him up to now, knowing all this. Firing him would be a complete 180.

So the best case scenario for Tech if they try to fire him is a legal fight they are not certain to win. Given what is going on with Machelle Joseph, I doubt they want to be fighting Pastner's lawyers, too.

Meanwhile, Crean just landed another 4 star and uga has a top 5 class as of now.

There is no short term solution to our basketball woes. Thank God for football.

• Like Like x 2
  15. mookie43

mookie43 Flats Noob

Loc:
    The lake
    Team:
    Ga Tech
    They shouldn’t fire him until this investigation is complete and the penalties, if any, are handed out by the NCAA. No decent coach would even entertain coming here without knowing those answers

• Like Like x 2
  16. BeeStorm

BeeStorm The Dark Side of the Force Staff Member

Loc:
    Not Conyers
    Team:
    GT
    Whoa. I had forgotten we had a Basketball Team Forum.

• Like Like x 2
    • Big Cry Big Cry x 1
  17. MACHETE

MACHETE Flats Noob

Loc:
    Tijuana
    Team:
    Jackets
    All this noise is an unnecessary distraction and that's on the head coach. He's ultimately responsible. How can he lack the judgement to allow a guy like Bell into the program? He knew what was going on... Plus, he hasn't been able to recruit worth a damn. Finally, I'm tired of his constant excuses.

18. Dirty Jacket

Dirty Jacket Something Extraordinairre

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    So am I to assume that this has taken us out of any consideration of the NCAAT?

• Like Like x 4
  19. GBurdell

GBurdell Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Bushwood CC
    Team:
    ga tech
    you're on stingtalk. that doesn't speak very well

• Like Like x 3
  20. GT98

GT98 Helluva Engineer

Loc:
    parts unknown
    I’d like to hear some rationale as to why. I think that his coaching is pretty good, but you gotta be able to recruit. He hasn’t landed anyone of note. You’re not going to out coach anyone in the ACC, gotta bring in some talent.