UNC recruiting

Discussion in 'Football' started by MACHETE, Feb 14, 2019.

1. MACHETE

MACHETE Flats Noob

Loc:
    Tijuana
    Team:
    Jackets
    Reality check:

UNC, a program in disarray with a retread head coach, already has four 4* commitments in the class of 2020.

GT has zero.

• Big Cry Big Cry x 14
  2. smokey_wasp

smokey_wasp Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Kennesaw, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Mack Brown may be an old fart and a retread, but he is a recruiter. We got recruiters too though and lots of time.

• Like Like x 1
  3. H-town

H-town Jolly Good Fellow

So it’s February and your freaking out about a date that is a year away?

• Like Like x 2
  4. joeye

joeye Varsity Connoisseur

Loc:
    Charlotte
    Team:
    GT
    UNC has Duke, State & Wake in their backyard to contend with. They’re always gonna get 4* athletes no matter how much disarray they’re in.

Our backyard includes Auburn, Clemson, USCe & uG. We’ll have to fight a little harder (Which we are, btw).

• Like Like x 1
  5. gtphd

gtphd Georgia Polytechnic and State University

Loc:
    THWG
    Team:
    THWG
    We already know UNC cheats, so I wouldn’t be surprised if there was some money for committing.

6. JoeCakeEater

JoeCakeEater Dodd-Like

Loc:
    The South
    Team:
    The Institute
    Paul, please just retire gracefully.

• Like Like x 6
    • Big Cry Big Cry x 1
  7. gtrower

gtrower Dodd-Like

Loc:
    DC
    Team:
    GT
    It’s a fair point. We have a lot of momentum right now, but eventually that needs to start manifesting itself in the 2020 class with some actual commits. Losing Downs to a team with family on the staff isn’t devastating. But 2 weeks ago most people thought he would be our first commit. This same thing has happened to us for the last decade. Constantly finishing 2nd/3rd for the 4/5* guys.

• Like Like x 2
  8. gtrower

gtrower Dodd-Like

Loc:
    DC
    Team:
    GT
    Miami / Clemson / FSU / UNC already have 6+ commits for the 2020 class. Mack has brought in four 4* guys for the class since he got hired. Tech, Syracuse, Louisville, and Pitt are the only teams in the conference without one. Not the best company to be keeping.

If you’re not worrying about signing day 2020 already then you’re already behind. Need to get the ball rolling and soon.

• Like Like x 2
  9. thwg

thwg Damn Good Rat

Loc:
    Lake O
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    The retread HC is a very good recruiter. He has put almost 100 players in the NFL. And he is by most accounts genuinely a good guy.

• Like Like x 1
  10. thwg

thwg Damn Good Rat

Loc:
    Lake O
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    We have some 4-star commitments already. They’ll go public soon. Also some 3-stars. Not sure why a February commitment matters any more than a March or April one.

Our staff was recruiting a lot for 2019 in January. Most of the staff was not even here until January. In one month, they were quite impressive. I’m fine giving them a few months to work on 2020.

• Like Like x 9
  11. andrew

andrew Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner

Loc:
    New York City
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I don't think this is a reality check. Almost no one is expecting us to compete for a championship in the next couple of seasons.

We're a (recently) bad program with a relatively unknown coach transitioning from a unique offense. People are excited about the medium term future, not the immediate future.

12. cbee

cbee Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Carrollton, Georgia
    I’ve heard this before..........

• Like Like x 1
  13. GT flunkout

GT flunkout your mom

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    GEORGIA TECH
    Not to disagree with your overall point but I think that's overstating things. We had a couple seasons where we underperformed but were never a bad program. Last season we were one close loss away from playing for a championship (Yes, tallest midget and all in the coastal but the point stands).

• Like Like x 3
  14. ElCidBUZZingFAN

ElCidBUZZingFAN Dodd-Like

Loc:
    My house
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. gtrower

gtrower Dodd-Like

Loc:
    DC
    Team:
    GT
    Think it speaks to how desperate UNC is too. Mack met with boosters and promised them he was staying the night before he packed up for Austin. Kiffin-esque at Tennessee. Hard to believe they swallowed their pride and asked him to come back. My dad grew up in Charlotte and still talked about Brown being an asshole for that move every time he was calling a game we’d be watching.

16. andrew

andrew Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner

Loc:
    New York City
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    True, my assessment was based more on "eye test" than record.

At no point during the past several seasons did I think, "the future is bright", or "we're really better than we seem, we've just caught some bad breaks", or even "I'm happy with the way we're playing".

We've felt like a deeply flawed team recently, and a program that was on a lateral trajectory at absolute best.

• Like Like x 1
  17. thwg

thwg Damn Good Rat

Loc:
    Lake O
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I guess your dad is not one of the big donors who is paying for him to come back. I don’t think it is a good hire as Mack has been out of the game too long but if he recruits well and hires good coordinators, it might work out for them. He was 1-10/1-10 his first go round at UNC when coming from Tulane.

Mack can recruit and his former players think highly of him.

• Like Like x 1
  18. smokey_wasp

smokey_wasp Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Kennesaw, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I wouldn't get caught up in much of anything this early. These kids are just reserving their spots with the option to cancel them.

19. H-town

H-town Jolly Good Fellow

The first signing period is 10 months away. Collins has been here how long? 2 months maybe. You guys are acting like millennials with this instant gratification theme.

• Like Like x 2
    • Big Cry Big Cry x 1
  20. thwg

thwg Damn Good Rat

Loc:
    Lake O
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Brent Key came on staff five weeks ago. I don’t understand how the new staff is supposed to be gettting top 300 players committed already. That we have Alabama commits openly wearing GT gear and hanging around campus is mind-blowing.

Downs “chose” UNC over GT, Ohio State, and Michigan. It is incomprehensible how much our recruiting has changed in 10 weeks.

• Like Like x 6