Update on Hatcher...

gtbuzz

Varsity Lurker
According to this article on CNNSI, the GSU AD has not even been asked for permission to interview CH:

Georgia Southern athletic director Sam Baker said Wednesday there is no apparent serious interest from Georgia Tech in the Eagles' current coach, Chris Hatcher.
"They have never called me for permission to speak with coach Hatcher," Baker said. "I think they had some exploratory calling. Since no request was made, I'm assuming there was no serious discussion. ... I think he's not in their picture."
Hatcher is Georgia Southern's third coach in three years, and Baker said he is "thrilled" it appears he will keep his coach.

linky

Doesn't sound to me like he'd even be the backup if PJ falls through. Wonder why not?

Last edited:
Contacting the coaches AD is pure courtesy, not a requirement. However, if I were an AD, I wouldn't burn bridges by skipping that step.

Like has been done time and time again, these programs have 3rd party contacts with other programs so that there will be no "official contact"

No strong chance of getting Hatcher???

funny-pictures-crosslegged-cat.jpg

Does that mean that Johnson is the guy?

I'm all ears. How do you know that Hatcher wanted to be at GT? Proof this time and not some made up wish like 99% of what I read here.

I'm all ears. How do you know that Hatcher wanted to be at GT? Proof this time and not some made up wish like 99% of what I read here.
Hatcher would probably want to be anywhere that doubles or more his pay and lets him run the team at a major college.

hey guy, don't hold all this **** against us. This is a very credible site usually, with a coaching situation like this, everything gets out of wack. Hell even ESPN, AJC, 790, have all been wrong at one time during this whole debacle.

Wake up. The ONLY reason Hatch is not the GT coach right now is because he has not been offered the job. I'm sure he likes being the head football coach at GSU, and the quality of life is probably pretty good down there. I'm sure it would be pretty hard for any other school who competes in the FCS to court him away from you guys.

To think he would turn down the opportunity at a seven figure pay check for his family is just plain not using your noggin. When the first BCS school takes a chance and lays a legitimate contract offer in front of him, he's gone. Duke could probably take him, and that worries me.

Great article. Look at what he said:

“A lot of rumors are out there, but I’m the coach at Georgia Southern, and I’m as happy as I can be,”
“I’ve been busy recruiting like crazy for Georgia Southern.”
He didn’t specify if he had talked with Georgia Tech or Southern Miss but said he “has not been seeking any opportunities.”
There is absolutely nothing in his actual quotes that says he's not leaving Southern.

"There are rumors" = fact
"CH is currently the coach at GSU" = fact
"CH is happy at GSU" = fact
"CH is recruiting for GSU, as part of his job" = fact
"CH has not actively sought the Tech job" = fact, but doesn't necessarily mean he hasn't been contacted, or wouldn't take an offer.

Now that is a guy who knows how to handle the media. Look at the wordsmithing, and how he never ever says anything definite yet the writer is duped into opening his article saying GSU fans can "breathe a sigh of relief."

I want that guy.

it still seems vague...say's he's not seeking opportunities however, doesn't mean that he's not being pursued...

Good point ramblin_man, it's diplomatic "Coach-Speak" in its highest form.

I believe that we'd all rather read something that's phrased this way than listen to outright bold faced lies from someone like the ethically challenged 'Bama coach Nick Saban.

How the local Statesboro media may choose to creatively interpret Coach Hatcher's comments for their headlines is their business.

Georgia Southern athletics director Sam Baker said Wednesday there is no apparent serious interest from Georgia Tech in the Eagles' current head coach, Chris Hatcher.
"They have never called me for permission to speak with Coach Hatcher," Baker said. "I think they had some exploratory calling. Since no request was made, I'm assuming there was no serious discussion. ... I think he's not in their picture."
http://www.macon.com/169/story/205317.html
Gentlemen I have watched all these post on CH all week. I have seen everything from him being ignored to having been offered a contract. He has not even been interviewed. Let's get our facts straight.

There is absolutely nothing in his actual quotes that says he's not leaving Southern.

"CH has not actively sought the Tech job" = fact, but doesn't necessarily mean he hasn't been contacted, or wouldn't take an offer.

Now that is a guy who knows how to handle the media. Look at the wordsmithing, and how he never ever says anything definite yet the writer is duped into opening his article saying GSU fans can "breathe a sigh of relief."

I want that guy.

I'm with you Beej - I think some are seriously underestimating this guy. I don't see where selecting him is much of a reach at all. If not now, he won't be available next time we are looking.

I'm with you Beej - I think some are seriously underestimating this guy. I don't see where selecting him is much of a reach at all. If not now, he won't be available next time we are looking.

hopefully that's going to be a moot point because the next time we look for a hc is after bds gets renamed dodd-johnson or dodd-tenuta.

one can dream, right?

Gentlemen I have watched all these post on CH all week. I have seen everything from him being ignored to having been offered a contract. He has not even been interviewed. Let's get our facts straight.

And your source is??

I want that guy.

I thought you wanted PJ, what gives?

Unfortunately though 90% of the fanbase would be happy with Hatch evidently others wouldn't. I'm ok if DRad doesn't want him but I hope it's not others making that call also.

Back