Upon Further Review - 1998 Tech-UGA

3518techie

Varsity Lurker
Somebody had mentioned this on the hive and I just watched the game on ESPN Classic When Hamiliton fumbled in the 4th qaurter on the game winning drive, UGA player who recovered the fumble had his leg out of bounds. It is clear on the replay. Therefore, it couldn't have been a fumble recovery. Why is this never brought up by the AJC?

The real controversy in the 98 game is not that one play. It certainly looked like the wrong call in live action, as noted by the announcers. Of greater concern was that play added to two others. The two point conversion try by UGA that was ruled short. And a non-call of holding (illegal pick,whatever) by a GT receiver on Champ Bailey on a play that set up the winning field goal. All of these calls were made in the same area relative the LOS. IMO the controversy arises from what appeared to be pattern of calls suggesting the official(s)had an agenda other than enforcing the rules. That's what doesn't sit right with me about the game.
smile.gif
And lets be thankful that we are in a great country that gives us the luxury of sitting at a computer and making a big deal out of a college football game.
tongue.gif

Hey MLULLT....why did u just happen to leave out the obvious pass interference in the end zone that the announcers made such a deal out of!? THWG

The two-point conversion was ruled short.....because it clearly was short.

I've been saying that out of bounds issue on the Hamilton fumble for some time. I actually had a chance to talk to the ref who called that play and he confirmed that was the call on the field.

Of course now the Dawgs are coming up with additional calls to justify their claims that they had the game stolen. I'm sure it will eventually get to the point that the refs moved the goalpost on our wining FG to prevent a miss.
wink.gif

Puppy Lovers, GT won in 1998. Give up the ghost. We lost in 1997 so did refs have an agenda that day or does your recall go back that far?

blue.gif
lightningzap.gif

Back