Upper East Stands

CP-Jacket

Varsity Lurker
I’m no architectural design expert but it seems to me that after the upper deck north is complete next year the UE stands will look old, small, low, etc. I have seen some of the touch up work that they have been talking about and it pretty much is covering up or replacing rusty facing materials.
frown.gif

Does the GTAA have a post 2003 plan for BDS?

You ask a good question. The upper east was already starting to show some age, even before all the other improvements to the stadium.

There is just so much they can improve the existing facility up there. There's not much room to add more restrooms, concessions, etc.

I would hope at some point in the future, maybe 10 years out, we would look at rebuilding the upper east, possibly with skyboxes above it, like a lot of people are doing now.

We could wrap it around the corners a little, to further close in the stadium. Maybe at that time we could remove that corner of the Edge building that sticks out, and tie in a new upper east with the new north.

I understand the Techwood Dr. concerns, but I think if designed right, there's room for a new deck and the road.

A new upper east would go a long way toward completing the stadium. Hopefully, as you say, someone is at least thinking in that direction.

Its crucial to keep the Upper East low enough that
it not obscure the skyline view from the west and
north IMHO. I've you've never sat in the lower
west for a night game at BDS@HGF you won't truly
appreciate the view and feel that we get from
having the lights and skyscrapers in view.

Originally posted by CrackerJacket:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Come up to the upper west and the view is even better. My seats are at the front of Section 206, by the front of the Aisle E portal. We can see from Downtown to Lenox...it is an incredible view, and we're nowhere near the top of the UW. Not only are the skyscrapers and lights beautiful, but when we have a storm front moving in from the north, we can see it happen (Besides GT sports, I have this strange weather fetish.
tongue.gif
)

Originally posted by CrackerJacket:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">The only way I see us raising the UE stands is if we're busting at the seams with sellouts and the like after the expansion. Even then, I'd see us adding more seats somewhere else (like the South endzone). Plus, it's hard to do anything to the East because of Techwood. Basically, I don't think we'll ever do anything to UE, other than a touchup here and there...and that's fine with me.

Back