USA today's Myerberg's CFB ranks kicks off with #125:GSU

GT1992

Dodd-Like
öööö, wrong again, it's going to be Tulane. Norm Chow never coached in the pros.

ThisIsAtlanta

Break In Case Of Emergency
Staff member
Hell, didn't expect him to post on a Sunday. I've got no idea who this next team is.

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
I know, but he took Notre Dame as a head coach. I'm changing to Hawaii. Norm Chow.
that was my first guess that I edited out, but he didn't help the Titans get to the Super Bowl so no pro assistantship...

Found one. Florida International University. Ron Turner. Gotta be him.

-EDIT-

damnit he was HEAD COACH of the Illinois team that went to the Sugar Bowl...don't think it is Ron Turner anymore. Not to mention FIU was already counted...

-EDIT-

I found him took me 3 more tries.

Last edited:

GT1992

Dodd-Like
It's Tulane. Their new head coach was at Miami in the 90's and with the Saints the last few years.

GTCrew4b

wtf kind of a clue is that? And I got bait-and-switched on Tulane as well.

GT1992

Dodd-Like
wtf kind of a clue is that? And I got bait-and-switched on Tulane as well.
The new head coach at Tulane met the criteria. We're pretty bad at this.

The new clue is ridiculous. What is new media? And what the hell is a soccer reference doing in a football thread?

Kansas.

GTCrew4b

I'm thinking it's Kansas as well because the clue is so non-sensical. It's hard to hide a high profile school like Kansas.

ThisIsAtlanta

Staff member
I'll just wildly guess UAB. I have no idea what new media is.

ee8384

Affable Curmudgeon
It's Florida Atlantic. Lynn University is the connection. 3 minutes of Googling...

New Media Director:
http://www.fausports.com/genrel/rubin_matt00.html

San Jose Quakes:
Jean Alexandre
Position: Midfielder
Height: 5-11
Weight: 190
Born: Aug. 24, 1986
Hometown: Delray Beach, Fla.
Place of Birth: Verrettes, Haiti
College: Lynn University

GTCrew4b

It's Florida Atlantic. Lynn University is the connection. 3 minutes of Googling...

New Media Director:

San Jose Quakes:
Jean Alexandre
where's that "We've got a badass" pic?

My point is that clues should lead you to guessing the school, they shouldn't be something you use to confirm your choice.

I'm assuming you guessed a school, then saw if they had a new Director of New Media and checked his connection to the San Jose Earthquakes. That's not a clue in my opinion. Really the clue became what you were looking for, and the clue to what you were looking for was that this new director of New Media with an obscure connection to a San Jose Earthquake midfielder was on the 111th worst College Football team going into the 2013 season.

ThisIsAtlanta

Staff member

New Media Director:

San Jose Quakes:
Jean Alexandre
I bow to your googling skills.

GT1992

Dodd-Like

My point is that clues should lead you to guessing the school, they shouldn't be something you use to confirm your choice.

I'm assuming you guessed a school, then saw if they had a new Director of New Media and checked his connection to the San Jose Earthquakes. That's not a clue in my opinion. Really the clue became what you were looking for, and the clue to what you were looking for was that this new director of New Media with an obscure connection to a San Jose Earthquake midfielder was on the 111th worst College Football team going into the 2013 season.
I've been horrible at this despite using google. He still might be wrong. The clues are really done right.

ee8384

Affable Curmudgeon

Sorry I didn't follow your rules.

GTCrew4b

Sorry I didn't follow your rules.
I'm not saying you did it wrong. You did it the only possible way. My ire is directed at the clue writer. I just didn't feel like going through the rigamarole of guessing and checking. 3 minutes is likely quicker than it would've taken me, but we are getting to the tail end of the REALLY OBVIOUSLY bad teams...so hopefully guess and check won't be the required method for long.

GT1992

Dodd-Like
I'm not saying you did it wrong. You did it the only possible way. My ire is directed at the clue writer. I just didn't feel like going through the rigamarole of guessing and checking. 3 minutes is likely quicker than it would've taken me, but we are getting to the tail end of the REALLY OBVIOUSLY bad teams...so hopefully guess and check won't be the required method for long.
We are nowhere near the end of the obviously bad teams, Kansas and Hawaii haven't shown up. I'm starting to think that the author gives major conference teams a preference. It ain't over until Boston College sings.