USA today's Myerberg's CFB ranks kicks off with #125:GSU

cyptomcat

Hibernating
It wasn't Nebraska, but instead #31 is Wisconsin. Curious, who was the NBA player that was #11?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...lege-football-countdown-2013-preview/2632129/

— Who is No. 30? This program's lone Heisman winner graduated from the same high school as a former baseball player who owns the single-season record for errors at a specific infield position.

#30 is UCLA. (Heisman winner Gary Beban went to same high school as Dick Stuart.)

GTBigBear

Flats Noob
Only one I can come up with was Dana Barros, who wore different jersey numbers (1, 3, & 11)

Pretty crappy clue IMO

BuzzCzar

Defender of the Universe
Only one I can come up with was Dana Barros, who wore different jersey numbers (1, 3, & 11)

Pretty crappy clue IMO
i also could only find 8 seasons above 40% by Barros of any players that wore 11 according to that list. most can be eliminated because most guys dont even play 8 seasons in the league

gtphd

What a time to be alive
By conference:
SEC = 6
B10 = 5
B12 = 5
ACC = 4
PAC = 4
MWC = 2
AAC = 1
MAC = 1
CUSA = 1
Ind. = 1

American Athletic Standings
Louisville

ACC Standings
ATLANTIC
Clemson
Florida State
COASTAL
Miami (FL)
Virginia Tech

Big 12 Standings
Kansas State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
TCU
Texas

Big Ten Standings
Legends
Michigan
Michigan State
Nebraska
Northwestern
Leaders
Ohio State

Conference USA Standings
WEST
Tulsa

FBS Independents Standings
Notre Dame

Mid-American Standings
WEST
Northern Illinois

Mountain West Standings
WEST
Fresno State
MOUNTAIN
Boise State

Pac-12 Standings
NORTH
Oregon
Stanford
SOUTH
UCLA
USC

SEC Standings
EAST
Florida
Georgia
South Carolina
WEST
Alabama
LSU
Texas A&M

gtphd

What a time to be alive
This program's lone Heisman winner graduated from the same high school as a former baseball player who owns the single-season record for errors at a specific infield position.
UCLA

Schools with one Heisman winner

2009 Mark Ingram, Jr. Alabama
2011 Robert Griffin III Baylor
1984 Doug Flutie Boston College
1990 Ty Detmer BYU
1935 Jay Berwanger* Chicago
1994 Rashaan Salaam Colorado
2013 Vad Lee Georgia Tech
1989 Andre Ware Houston
1939 Nile Kinnick Iowa
1959 Billy Cannon* LSU
1941 Bruce Smith Minnesota
1988 Barry Sanders^ Oklahoma State
1962 Terry Baker* Oregon State
1973 John Cappelletti Penn State
1976 Tony Dorsett^ Pittsburgh
1951 Dick Kazmaier Princeton
1948 Doak Walker^ SMU
1980 George Rogers* South Carolina
1970 Jim Plunkett* Stanford
1961 Ernie Davis* Syracuse
1938 Davey O'Brien TCU
1967 Gary Beban UCLA

Of that list, schools with FBS programs not already listed

2009 Mark Ingram, Jr. Alabama
1959 Billy Cannon* LSU
1988 Barry Sanders^ Oklahoma State
1980 George Rogers* South Carolina
1970 Jim Plunkett* Stanford
1938 Davey O'Brien TCU
1967 Gary Beban UCLA

Gary Beban went to Sequoia High School with Dick Stuart, who holds the record for most errors at 1B in 1958, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, and 1963.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
So we missed a few:

#26 Tulsa
#27 Michigan State
#28 Miami
#29 TCU
#30 UCLA

So, he is going to rank VT in top 25. Interesting.

Miami write-up:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...lege-football-countdown-2013-preview/2647815/
That is just simply a joke. 7-6 last year with THREE OT wins and there is more evidence pointing towards a worse team this year than a better team. People are gonna get burnt ranking them high this year.

I mean seriously look at their season last year. They beat 3 teams in OT (GT, BC, Rutgers) and the other 4 wins were UVA, Duke, Austin Peay, and Bowling Green. They were two regular season OT losses away from a 4-8 season for crying out loud.

Then they lose experience on the OL and WR and return the same QB/RBs who played like öööö last year. And return a decent defense who played decent last year. And replace a bunch of coordinators and plan on running a different scheme with their new OC. Who the hell is ranking this team???

cyptomcat

Hibernating
That is just simply a joke. 7-6 last year with THREE OT wins and there is more evidence pointing towards a worse team this year than a better team. People are gonna get burnt ranking them high this year.

I mean seriously look at their season last year. They beat 3 teams in OT (GT, BC, Rutgers) and the other 4 wins were UVA, Duke, Austin Peay, and Bowling Green. They were two regular season OT losses away from a 4-8 season for crying out loud.

Then they lose experience on the OL and WR and return the same QB/RBs who played like öööö last year. And return a decent defense who played decent last year. And replace a bunch of coordinators and plan on running a different scheme with their new OC. Who the hell is ranking this team???
Yeah, but on 5dimes:

Virginia Tech: Under 8.5 wins +120
Virginia Tech: Under 7.5 wins +260

Virginia Tech -1 at Georgia Tech
Virginia Tech -5.5 against UNC
Virginia Tech -13.5 against Pitt
Virginia Tech -10 against uva

Their coastal odds are second best behind Miami.

Vegas is thinking highly of them.

Diseqc

Dodd-Like
Yeah, but on 5dimes:

There's a lot of unknown with their offense, but I'm sure people expect the defense to bounce back to their historical form.

I don't think it would be a world shocker for them to be in contention for the coastal late in the year.

Deke

Everybody relax, I'm here.
I just wonder if we're going to see 2011 or 2012 Logan Thomas this year. I know his supporting cast was a lot better in '11, but I still think he's a x factor for them.

forensicbuzz

Varsity Lurker
Yeah, but on 5dimes:

Yeah bust Vegas is based on where people are betting. If too many people have them overrated, then the number's going to naturally gravitate in that direction. I think the odds are less about what they're really going to do and more about what it's going to take to get the betting public to lay down their hard-earned cash.

southendzoneBEE

Gailey-Like
VT will be decent. My outlook for the coastal is biased but possible-

1) GT
2) UM
3) VT
4) UNC
5) Pitt
6) Duke
7) Virginia

gtphd

What a time to be alive
By conference:
SEC = 6
B10 = 4
B12 = 4
ACC = 3
PAC = 3
MWC = 2
AAC = 1
MAC = 1
Ind. = 1

American Athletic Standings
Louisville

ACC Standings
ATLANTIC
Clemson
Florida State
COASTAL
Virginia Tech

Big 12 Standings
Kansas State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas

Big Ten Standings
Legends
Michigan
Nebraska
Northwestern
Leaders
Ohio State

FBS Independents Standings
Notre Dame

Mid-American Standings
WEST
Northern Illinois

Mountain West Standings
WEST
Fresno State
MOUNTAIN
Boise State

Pac-12 Standings
NORTH
Oregon
Stanford
SOUTH
USC

SEC Standings
EAST
Florida
Georgia
South Carolina
WEST
Alabama
LSU
Texas A&M

cyptomcat

Hibernating
Yeah bust Vegas is based on where people are betting. If too many people have them overrated, then the number's going to naturally gravitate in that direction. I think the odds are less about what they're really going to do and more about what it's going to take to get the betting public to lay down their hard-earned cash.
Sure, but not by that much. If it moved the lines that much, it would be easy to make money off them over a long run. It's not.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
Yeah, but on 5dimes:

With their schedule, I wouldn't be surprised if they get to 8/9 wins. They might even end up winning the Coastal with thier Atlantic line-up (two gimmes in BC/Maryland). But no rational football fan should look at the GT/VT teams based on performance in '12, returning players, returning coaches, and come to the conclusion that VT is in better shape. The same can be said for Miami and UNC over VT.

Maybe Thomas improves a crap-ton from his horrendous season last year. Maybe their converted-LB-turned-starting-RB transforms into David Wilson Jr. Maybe their inexperienced OL plays like RS-SRs. Anything is possible. But they shouldn't get the benefit of the doubt because they were coming off a long run of success two years ago.

cyptomcat

Hibernating
With their schedule, I wouldn't be surprised if they get to 8/9 wins. They might even end up winning the Coastal with thier Atlantic line-up (two gimmes in BC/Maryland). But no rational football fan should look at the GT/VT teams based on performance in '12, returning players, returning coaches, and come to the conclusion that VT is in better shape. The same can be said for Miami and UNC over VT.

Maybe Thomas improves a crap-ton from his horrendous season last year. Maybe their converted-LB-turned-starting-RB transforms into David Wilson Jr. Maybe their inexperienced OL plays like RS-SRs. Anything is possible. But they shouldn't get the benefit of the doubt because they were coming off a long run of success two years ago.
VT actually dominated us in that game. Thanks to a missed FG and a blocked punt, we were in the game, but they did dominate us. Agreed on Miami, but UNC lost a lot of talent from that team.

I would definitely bet against VT with those head-to-head lines (pitt and gt lines first), but they deserve respect for their past performance too.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
VT actually dominated us in that game. Thanks to a missed FG and a blocked punt, we were in the game, but they did dominate us. Agreed on Miami, but UNC lost a lot of talent from that team.

I would definitely bet against VT with those head-to-head lines (pitt and gt lines first), but they deserve respect for their past performance too.
What? Did you watch the game? Both defenses dominated both offenses. Total yardage was 326 for them and 288 for us. 75 of their yards came in the last 30 seconds of regulation and OT. So we had held them to 250 total yards before that defensive debacle.

That was a fairly even game played at their house where they obviously benefited from having the off-season to scheme stunts to confuse option reads (by far Foster's best performance against CPJ).