UT Defense vs the Spread in 2016

gtrower

Dodd-Like
I did this box score sweep pretty quick, so feel free to poke holes...

By my view UT played five P5 spread teams last season: VT, @TA&M, UK, Mizzou, @Vandy. Not sure if Nebraska was one? Against those teams these were their average defensive numbers:

37.4 ppg
595.0 typg, 7.02 ypp
276.2 pypg, 8.17 ypa
318.8 rypg, 6.26 ypc

(By comparison we gave up 15ppg against Vandy, @VT, and UK). Their popular excuse is massive injury losses which is probably true to an extent. Those rushing yards are obnoxiously high though. Mizzou and UK rushed for 420 and 443 yards respectively. To be honest their defense wasn't much better against pro sets (28 to UF, 31 to UGA, 49 to Bama, 24 to USCe). Hard to imagine them suddenly figuring out how to defend in space barring a meltdown for us at QB.

Last edited:
1*MS_0XqDDHPhPI92blo_PRg.png

Thanks OP for the info!

Curious, why wouldn't Bama be considered a spread team? They ran a lot of plays last year to get Jalen Hurts in space, bubble screens to the outside, etc. (Mrs is a Bama grad so I watch a lot of their games by proxy)

If so, numbers are even worse.

Thanks OP for the info!

Curious, why wouldn't Bama be considered a spread team? They ran a lot of plays last year to get Jalen Hurts in space, bubble screens to the outside, etc. (Mrs is a Bama grad so I watch a lot of their games by proxy)

If so, numbers are even worse.

Bama is a pro set team, flat out.

My real concern is what we'll be able to do against Tennessee's offense.

As has been discussed elsewhere, Ted Roof's defenses typically start the year with a "bend until you break and yeah that's cool we'll just keep bending" mindset until about half way through the season when CPJ jumps down his throat. Presuming that's how we open again this year, what are we going to look like against UT's returning personnel? Who's their new Dobbs? Can he scramble?

If he can't scramble, maybe we'll do okay.

As has been discussed elsewhere, Ted Roof's defenses typically start the year with a "bend until you break and yeah that's cool we'll just keep bending" mindset until about half way through the season when CPJ jumps down his throat. Presuming that's how we open again this year, what are we going to look like against UT's returning personnel? Who's their new Dobbs? Can he scramble?

Yeah I fully expect a shootout and hopefully they get tired before we do.

They are probably going with Dormandy, who was Dobbs backup last year. Not a very mobile guy, but an accurate passer. They have a redshirt soph on the bench who is a much better athlete but for whatever reason isn't on top of the depth chart in anybody's projections. Remember, they get a brand new OC who hasn't ever done much of anything anywhere, as well.

His supporting cast is going to be solid as hell, though. They are pretty stacked on OL, have good and freakishly tall receivers (including a 6'6" 250lb TE), and a good RB. We're going to have to score with them a few times.

Tennessee is expecting great things from their RS freshman QB, Jarrett Guarantano, who is a dual threat guy, and was the highest rated of all their QBs coming out of HS. He will likely get some playing time in our game, but I don't think anyone expects him to start. If Dormady is not doing well, the younger guy might come in to spark their offense and excite the fans, but an opening game on a big stage is not the ideal situation to introduce a promising QB prospect. I'm hoping their limited experience at QB will help balance out the inevitable first-game mistakes.

They are probably going with Dormandy, who was Dobbs backup last year. Not a very mobile guy, but an accurate passer. They have a redshirt soph on the bench who is a much better athlete but for whatever reason isn't on top of the depth chart in anybody's projections. Remember, they get a brand new OC who hasn't ever done much of anything anywhere, as well.

His supporting cast is going to be solid as hell, though. They are pretty stacked on OL, have good and freakishly tall receivers (including a 6'6" 250lb TE), and a good RB. We're going to have to score with them a few times.

"including a 6'6" 250lb TE"
"6'6" 250lb TE"
"250lb TE"
TE

**shudder**

Please cover TEs this year.

Ok, so UT's offense was pretty good last year with Dobbs. Their OC bails for a parallel position at .... ...Indiana... ...which sometimes might mean that he sees the writing on the wall losing players.

UT promotes internally, (Larry Scott) ostensibly to maintain consistency in the program. Scott was Tight Ends coach at Miami for a while (as stated before, TEs are our kryptonite) and took over as head coach when Golden was fired. He beat GT that year, but we sucked that year. Jumped to Tennessee for 2016 because he wasn't retained by Mark Richt.

UT brought in an old coach of his from his playing days at South Florida, Mike Canales, to coach QBs. They were basically around for the beginning of the South Florida program, so there's no telling whether their collective scheme was any good or not.

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/sport...es-scott-oc-hires-canales-coach-qbs/96766926/

Roof's game will look the same way it does every year. Secondary made great by poor front 7 over their entire career will be the tipping point on W/L based on their performance that day.

Back